Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How are you all paying tuition for younger kids?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 6:43 pm
Please read before responding. For those with kids in middle or high school, this is not relevant for you. If your city or school does something different, this may not be applicable.

My kids are little, K and 1st. Their schools will be online only in the fall. I know that my kids did not learn one thing on zoom these last few months (March-June) and did not benefit at all. Their school had 30 minutes of zoom for hebrew and 30 minutes for English.

I have to go to work and pay for childcare for next year. I cannot pay for tuition and child care. I understand that the school has to pay their teachers but the teachers have done nothing to accommodate my kids. Teaching for 30 minutes on zoom does not meet the regular hours worked. Either the teachers should work full hours and try to have one-on-one time or small groups with each kid or they should get paid less if they are only teaching for 30 minutes.

The schools expect me and everyone else to pay full tuition for the year. How is this possible when you have to either stay home and not work to watch your kids so you can't afford tuition or pay for childcare in addition to tuition? Is everyone paying double? How on earth is everyone else paying their same tuition? I need to understand this so I can negotiate with the school.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 6:47 pm
I wouldn’t send the kid to school if it’s online. Just opt out. Am I missing something?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 6:50 pm
tichellady wrote:
I wouldn’t send the kid to school if it’s online. Just opt out. Am I missing something?

What about the next year? Will the school take you back?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 6:57 pm
tichellady wrote:

The school won't let you enroll the following year because then everyone would do that. They aren't going to re-accept the kids who don't pay.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 7:05 pm
I'm assuming the school is assuming it won't be like this all year, and that within a few months you'll be getting more of what you pay for.

I'd do two things:
1) Talk to the school as you, not what everyone else is doing. Tell them that you just don't have the money to pay for both.

2) Find a doer of a fellow parent and get some people together to speak among yourselves and then with the school about what the school can do differently this time with remote education.

Have you confirmed yet what they plan to do? Or are you assuming it will be the same?

Moonlight

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 7:09 pm
Just know you are not going to be the only one and I'm sure the school is expecting to hear a lot of this

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 7:18 pm
I am in NY and have no clue what will be with next school year. If school is part zoom or full zoom I will have a very big problem because I need to work and can’t afford tuition and childcare. Talk to the school. You are far from the only parent with this problem. My kids are 7 5 and 3.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:18 pm
I have a young child also. he is starting this sept in this school. they are saying they are opening as usual. I asked bookkeeping if the school has to close for whatever reason(too many kuds or...) will you lower the price because we will need to pay for someone to stay home with our child.(also, the secretary said for her class, in march, the teachers just gave out packets ...the parents had to be the teachers to ensure the kids did the work)

so far, bookkeeping ignored me and has always been difficult and unresponsive to me. but, what can anyone do? I will have no school but public school (which I cant do)?

unfortunately, the schools are doing the wrong thing because they cant provide the same services for younger kids remotely so I consider it stealing...but then how do you get your child in school the next year or later if they open? I know what its like not to have a school.

and, how would anyone negotiate now? I am forced to set up payment plan with my credit info before them reserving my child's spot, so how do you stop the payment??

this problem is very real.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:21 pm
my school sent out a letter asking people to please pay tuition but that they understand that for younger kids they really got a lot less and that some people had to pay childcare as well. They made it clear that people should reach out to them in that situation. I'm a SAHM so I didn't say anything but I felt that the way they wrote it was very mentschlich and understanding. They even wrote that it was 30% of the school year that was online, for people who were trying to figure out what percent was affected.

I live OOT though Wink

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:23 pm
I have friends who have registered for public school. If it’s all online it’s all the same to them

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:25 pm
seashell- I've been wondering if a lot of people will be doing that.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:30 am
We have the same issue. In my city the government said no in person classes- public or private school. I have to work. I asked for a tuition scholarship because due to coved our financial situation is worse. We never were "wealthy" or "making it" before now but now it is even worse. School made us fill out all these detailed questions including asking for tax returns, bank account statements etc. we were open and honest and explained all the factors involved. No response. Nothing. We can't afford school- it is that or we don't pay for food! My kids clothing that I buy comes from target pretty much. And Walmart. We don't pay for vacations.
The school keeps sending out emails saying they don't know what they are doing and trying to be granted an exception and be allowed to open. So they push off our decision as we really have no idea how we will manage. They didn't discount us at all due to coved last year and sent out emails boasting about how great they were because other schools were worse. And saying they won't start earlier next year, wouldn't go any later this past year, don't even ask for a prorated amount... Um my kid had 1.5 hours ALL day. From Morah who used to spend 6+ hours with my kid (taking out recess time, PE time... They are in school about 8 hours but not with one teacher.) Plus- Oh boy, they had some videos a teacher made ONCE and my kid can watch daily. Um no. Why do I pay full price for teachers to spend 30 minutes on a video and that's all the work they do all week?? They added that in so my kids got "more class time". Um?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics