Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Please help me learn to respond well to my 2 year old
Previous  1  2

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:49 am
I also like throwing temper tantrums.... And much to my dc surprise, I can scream and cry louder. Works like a charm.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 10:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can’t walk away and not engage when he’s running away from me outside or throwing and breaking things or kicking me. That’s most of my issue. Things that can’t be ignored. I know he loves the thrill and try to ignore when I can.

When DD was 2, she'd try to get away from me on the sidewalk. I'd just walk the opposite direction and say "Bye bye!" As soon as she noticed that I wasn't going to chase her, and she thought that I would actually go home and leave her there, she would panic and run after me. I only had to do that a few times for her to understand that she could either get with the program, or get abandoned.

If you really don't trust your child at that age, and you want/need to get outside, then a safety harness and leash is a good idea. Let the neighbors judge you. Do you want your kid to run into the street, or not?

As for kicking, what is it that he wants that is triggering him so much? Does he talk yet? Can he tell you why he is so frustrated?

If you had a pack n' play, can he climb out of it? If he can't climb out, then you plop him in there for a time out. (Make sure that he can't reach anything from the sides, or that will all get broken or thrown, too.)

You have to keep reminding your child of the hierarchy in the home. You and DH are the adults, and he is the child. He is not in charge, and he does not set the rules. Rinse, repeat.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 10:03 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Not in brooklyn. Sorry.
But don't push it off, you'll be so happy u went

Please tell us who you used for cranial. It would be helpful for a lot of us!

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 10:08 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Please tell us who you used for cranial. It would be helpful for a lot of us!

I would love to! She was so amazing.
But I live out of town so it wouldn't help you at all.
Do an imamother search, there was just a thread about this recently.

Woman of Valor

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m doing most of this already. I give him choices. I give him warning so he knows what’s coming. I can’t give him the option to get dressed or undressed exactly when he wants (which is never) because he needs to get ready for playgroup but I do give him playing time first because I know he needs time in the morning and I try giving him choices which still doesn’t help. His throwing is a problem because he’s breaking things and also because he’s hurt us sometimes. I tell him that “buses are for driving on the floor, not throwing” bit he couldn’t care less. Then when I take it away he tantrums.

I’m not a high energy person and I’m also pregnant so I’m really having a hard time with this.

OP, what do you do when he tantrums?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 1:38 pm
WindowMagic wrote:
OP, what do you do when he tantrums?

Just validate he’s upset. I stay calm. Sometimes I take him to his room and let him rest with his blankie if he really needs help resetting.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just validate he’s upset. I stay calm. Sometimes I take him to his room and let him rest with his blankie if he really needs help resetting.

Sounds perfect

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 2:47 pm
Distract from task at hand. Make it a game.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics