Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
75% of recovered covid have lasting heart damage-study
Previous  1  2  3

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 12:58 am
I got Covid right before Purim, and I was extremely ill for 2 whole months.

I've always had a very slight case of mitral valve prolapse, but lately my heart has been trying to pound right out of my chest, and my pulse has been racing like crazy. It's so bad that I've switched to decaf coffee, in hope that it will help.

I'm not sure if it's connected, but 2 days ago I was bringing home groceries, and doing down the cement stairs to my apartment. I got dizzy and lost my balance, falling down the last 3 stairs. I sprained my ankle, and I'm black and blue all over. It's a miracle I didn't hit my head.

Over all, I just feel weaker and less stable on my feet, and pretty clumsy in general.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 3:14 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I'm not saying that it's not possible the study is correct. Really the truth is nobody knows much for sure about long term with this virus. But the thoughts I have are:

1. The link is to People Magazine. Isn't that a trashy gossip magazine? That's the reputation it had when I was a kid. Is it now a serious journal?

2. It's interesting that the other day when those doctors spoke out in support of Hydroxychloroquine, and one doctor spoke of her 350 patients that all got well, many people cried out that 350 patients is irrelevant because thousands flood the hospitals daily and it's a very small amount of people. Not sure what the connection is between her 350 patients and thousands of hospital patients who are much sicker and not on the protocol, but yet people said 350 patients don't matter. Too small a number. So why is a study of 100 suddenly a good representation of what's going on?

3. Even if people do have cardiac complications, how do we know it's the virus and not whatever they took for the virus?

4. Fear is making people sick. I'm not saying the virus isn't dangerous, because clearly people are suffering terrible symptoms and some are dying. And I'm not saying people shouldn't be cautious to protect themselves from contracting the virus. But there is healthy fear and there is detrimental fear and I think there is too much out there that is just put out there for the fear factor. And I think it harms people mentally and physically. Probably good to limit reading this sort of stuff too much.

1. And 2. This isn’t the first study that has had similar results. I saw studies in the news like this a month ago.

3. Because imamorhers here have been posting issues connected to this with cases that didn’t receive medical treatment.

4. There’s a healthy fear and a lot unhealthy fear. You are right. We believe in Hashem who controls all. There is hishtadlis to do like: wearing a mask, social distancing, if you suffer after corona go to a doctor and push to find someone who wiltake your concerns seriously.

Please no one sit in bed all day thinking of all the horrible things that could happen to them.

Why share the study? Because you still need to be aware of what is going on in order to be safe. But you should be able to internalize this information to do your hishtadlus calmly. Not to live in fear.

I’m on a corona group where I only get relevant information about studies, possible vaccines, etc. I don’t live in fear. I’m still meeting friends and family and even going on a local vacation. Safety.

But we do need to talk about the concerns so people take this seriously. I just read an article about a runner who got corona (lower 30’s and healthy) ) who can’t run since recovering. And he wasn’t treated either since it wasn’t a severe case.

ora_43

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:07 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
1. The link is to People Magazine. Isn't that a trashy gossip magazine? That's the reputation it had when I was a kid. Is it now a serious journal?

People Magazine is reporting on an article published in JAMA cardiology (published by the American Medical Association). It's being taken seriously because of JAMA's reputation, not People Magazine's.

Quote:
2. It's interesting that the other day when those doctors spoke out in support of Hydroxychloroquine, and one doctor spoke of her 350 patients that all got well, many people cried out that 350 patients is irrelevant because thousands flood the hospitals daily and it's a very small amount of people.

I'm not sure who said that. On this board, the criticism was mostly based on the fact that the doctor talking about her 350 patients getting better is self-reporting, rather than publishing peer-reviewed research, and past statements suggest she is... not entirely reliable.

But also - it's completely true that 100 can be "bigger" than 350 in terms of statistical significance.

For example:

If I take a group of 350 previously healthy 20-year-old coronavirus patients and give them a certain medicine, and none of them die, that shows... nothing. Because we would expect that in a group of 350 20-year-old coronavirus patients, none would die. Deaths in that age group are BH quite rare.

OTOH, if I took a group of 100 seriously ill coronavirus patients in their 80s, with background conditions, and gave them the same medicine, and none died, that would be a meaningful finding.

You have to look at the expected frequency of whatever outcome is being studied, not (just) the total number of people in the group.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I had Covid in March. I didn’t have it too hard. One week of moderate fever and weakness. After two week I lost my sense of smell and taste but o got it back gradually. I had chest pains few times or more especially in the middle of the night. I used to have palpitations. About two weeks ago I woke up with very painful chest pain. It felt like anxiety attack but more painful. I was thinking I might go to ER but I took Xanax it took awhile to stop and I fell asleep. It is really scary. What type of doctor should I go to? What is the exam that’s required.

You should have your primary refer you to a cardiologist, or go straight of your insurance allows. IH everything will be fine and check out as normal, but you should go be worked up to make sure

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:24 am
It’s hard to know what is credible in the news anymore especially when big tech is censoring and shutting down accounts over things like hydroxy- and even when the lancet has to retract their study- speak with your dr

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
It’s hard to know what is credible in the news anymore especially when big tech is censoring and shutting down accounts over things like hydroxy- and even when the lancet has to retract their study- speak with your dr

We don't have to agree the news if the news or scientists are credible (like maybe we shouldn't even be washing our hands at all?) but you can't ignore there's been quite a few imamother on this thread talking about things they are dealing with post corona - personally!

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:45 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
As someone in that age group with a family history of heart disease, this is precisely why I have got so annoyed with people on here acting like Covid is nothing and sending their kids to sleepaway camps, not caring about the rest of us. Yes, it is a small sample and yes, maybe in a few months all the people with heart disease will miraculously get better. But in the interim, I will continue to be cautious.

You are doing the right thing by being cautious . However , why do you get “annoyed “ that people are sending their kids to camps ? And why do you think by doing so , they “act like covid is nothing ?” Do you think there is a possibility those people acknowledge the risk of covid , but have weighted risks vs. benefits and in consultation with their child’s pediatrician , decided that sending to camp is a better option ?

I will give you my example . I have a child with anxiety . Over the last several months , he has completely withdrawn socially (Yes , we tried to engage him virtually with his peers , it didn’t accomplish much ) , and all the progress we have made in that department over the last several years has vanished into nowhere . Unfortunately getting him to socialize with social distancing in earlier months created more harm than good , as it acted as a constant trigger and reminder of what he is scared of . We have had thorough discussions with his therapist and pediatrician , who all agreed that at this point , his Psychological needs outweigh the risk of possibly getting covid and bringing it home to us . And new studies showing possible long lasting complications unfortunately do not tip the scale for us . Obviously we sent to camp that practices all the necessary precautions , which also happened to be a day camp .

It’s all about risks vs benefits . We are not being irresponsible. Each family unit is different , and should make covid related decisions based on their individual circumstances.

And what’s more important , how is people sending their kids to camp affecting you, if from your own acknowledgement, you yourself are being careful? If you were not careful , it would affect you. But since you are , why are you cornered with what other people do ? Your every day practices and measures of caution do not change based on what other people do. If you want a “guarantee “ (If there is such a thing ) of not getting covid , you have to acknowledge the fact that if you are exposed to people , the risk will always be there , so the only way is to completely isolate , whether others send to camps or not .

Hope it makes sense . I am sorry if I came out harsh . This sentiment though has been bothering me for a while , and I had to get it off my chest . I wish you continuous health and may this all be behind us soon .

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:52 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
You are doing the right thing by being cautious . However , why do you get “annoyed “ that people are sending their kids to camps ? And why do you think by doing so , they “act like covid is nothing ?” Do you think there is a possibility those people acknowledge the risk of covid , but have weighted risks vs. benefits and in consultation with their child’s pediatrician , decided that sending to camp is a better option ?

I will give you my example . I have a child with anxiety . Over the last several months , he has completely withdrawn socially (Yes , we tried to engage him virtually with his peers , it didn’t accomplish much ) , and all the progress we have made in that department over the last several years has vanished into nowhere . Unfortunately getting him to socialize with social distancing in earlier months created more harm than good , as it acted as a constant trigger and reminder of what he is scared of . We have had thorough discussions with his therapist and pediatrician , who all agreed that at this point , his Psychological needs outweigh the risk of possibly getting covid and bringing it home to us . And new studies showing possible long lasting complications unfortunately do not tip the scale for us . Obviously we sent to camp that practices all the necessary precautions , which also happened to be a day camp .

It’s all about risks vs benefits . We are not being irresponsible. Each family unit is different , and should make covid related decisions based on their individual circumstances.

And what’s more important , how is people sending their kids to camp affecting you, if from your own acknowledgement, you yourself are being careful? If you were not careful , it would affect you. But since you are , why are you cornered with what other people do ? Your every day practices and measures of caution do not change based on what other people do. If you want a “guarantee “ (If there is such a thing ) of not getting covid , you have to acknowledge the fact that if you are exposed to people , the risk will always be there , so the only way is to completely isolate , whether others send to camps or not .

Hope it makes sense . I am sorry if I came out harsh . This sentiment though has been bothering me for a while , and I had to get it off my chest . I wish you continuous health and may this all be behind us soon .

You do you - I agree with you. It just borthers me when other don't SD or wear masks because THAT affects me. One can suggest I don't leave the house - but that's not fair for me.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:56 am
LovesHashem wrote:
You do you - I agree with you. It just borthers me when other don't SD or wear masks because THAT affects me. One can suggest I don't leave the house - but that's not fair for me.

Not only is it not fair, it's not doable.

They are telling you not to go to the doctor, not to take a child who needs it to a speech therapist, not to go to the pharmacy, not to choose your own fruits and vegetables, not to go for therapy, not to shop where they have what you need at a reasonable price, not to work.

Why? So that they don't have to wear masks or take precautions.

They are telling you to stay locked up for possibly several years - you and your entire family - that you should give up your entire life so that they don't have to inconvenience themselves even a tiny bit.

They are saying they don't care if you don't have a yard and get no fresh air or exercise because you have to stay home for years on end - they don't care if you develop mental health issues due to that, that's your problem for wanting people to SD and wear masks. You could commit suicide because they stripped you of your freedom and all they'd care was that you were one more person "proving" that "life has to go back to normal" and "lockdown kills people."

People who don't SD and won't wear masks simply don't care about anyone else. They place their own convenience and desire to continue "as usual" over everything and everyone else.

For them it is either "things as they were pre-corona" or nothing. There is no in-between so that people can resume some kind of semi-normal life, in a safe way. When safe means inconvenient, safe doesn't matter.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 10:15 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

They are telling you not to go to the doctor, not to take a child who needs it to a speech therapist, not to go to the pharmacy, not to choose your own fruits and vegetables, not to go for therapy, not to shop where they have what you need at a reasonable price, not to work.

They are telling you to stay locked up for possibly several years - you and your entire family - that you should give up your entire life so that they don't have to inconvenience themselves even a tiny bit.

They are saying they don't care if you don't have a yard and get no fresh air or exercise because you have to stay home for years on end - they don't care if you develop mental health issues due to that, that's your problem for wanting people to SD and wear masks. You could commit suicide because they stripped you of your freedom and all they'd care was that you were one more person "proving" that "life has to go back to normal" and "lockdown kills people."

People who don't SD and won't wear masks simply don't care about anyone else. They place their own convenience and desire to continue "as usual" over everything and everyone else.

For them it is either "things as they were pre-corona" or nothing. There is no in-between so that people can resume some kind of semi-normal life, in a safe way. When safe means inconvenient, safe doesn't matter.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

THIS. All of it. LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK!

Thank you for writing this out so well. A lot of us have been saying it in various forms for quite a while now, but you really summed it up perfectly.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 11:12 am

Yes, you summed it up well.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 2:09 pm

BRAVO. Can you run for president please?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 2:13 pm
finallyamommy wrote:
BRAVO. Can you run for president please?

With pleasure, but I don't have the funds for a campaign.... If you can help me out on that front then I will see what I can do. Smile

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 2:58 pm
Makes zero sense. They arent doing heart testing on everyone who had the virus. Or even a wide sample of all types of cases. And they dont have before to compare it to.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 3:09 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Makes zero sense. They arent doing heart testing on everyone who had the virus. Or even a wide sample of all types of cases. And they dont have before to compare it to.

Well theyre in the middle of a crisis arent they?
Im sure there are plenty of things that will be studied on a mass scale after.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 3:47 pm
pizzapie wrote:
Time for a new PCP. Nobody should be dismissing your concerns and brushing you off like that. Besides, anxiety is a symptom of thyroid dysfunction. Did he send you for bloodwork?

Yes he did. I'm being monitored for it.
I wish I can find a new PCP. There are no decent ones where I live. It's all clinics, in and out. At least this one knows my history.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics