Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Rethinking Seminary
Previous  1  2  3  4

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 12:42 pm
Mollie wrote:
So this rule should apply to any Israeli in any university why are the Americans being singled out?

Firstly, no Israeli university has had any physical classes since Purim. The week after Purim all classes were transferred to zoom, and now even exams are taking place on line. No one knows yet whether physical classes will be able to resume next year. University dorms were also closed, to prevent the exact scenario outlined above.

Secondly, Israelis are able to go home and isolate there. They have a family support system that goes beyond the campus and isn't a few hours flight away.

Mollie

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 12:48 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Firstly, no Israeli university has had any physical classes since Purim. The week after Purim all classes were transferred to zoom, and now even exams are taking place on line. No one knows yet whether physical classes will be able to resume next year.

Secondly, Israelis are able to go home and isolate there. They have a family support system that goes beyond the campus and isn't a few hours flight away.

That doesn’t solve the fact that they could infect hundreds of people they met in the shuk that day. And if the health Ministry is accepting the seminary quarantine as legit so then that would be the same as home

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 12:57 pm
Mollie wrote:
That doesn’t solve the fact that they could infect hundreds of people they met in the shuk that day. And if the health Ministry is accepting the seminary quarantine as legit so then that would be the same as home

Yes, any Israeli could infect any other Israeli, in the shuk or elsewhere, or whether they are students or not. That is why we have cellphones tracing, isolation and so on. The only way to prevent that is complete lockdown - and we have had very tight lockdown before this.

The aim of this rumoured lockdown to the seminary campus would not be to stop them infecting other people. It is to protect the girls, and to stop infection running wild through the campus. Like it or not, Israelis in their own country have a lot more support and resources to help them deal with corona than a group of chutzniks.

Even if a person is not able to fully isolate from other members of his household, the average house would put another five or six people at risk. And if that happens, they are all in house isolation for the next two weeks from the last contact with the infected person. In a seminary, you would be exposing another forty or fifty people, who would then all have to be in an even stricter form of isolation, with no staff entering the premises and no physical classes. The girls would be locked down in apartments, wherever possible, rather than being able to together with the whole school. And if a second girl developed corona, the two weeks would start again. It's to do with the very limited isolation possibilities on campus rather than being American that is the issue.

Last edited by Elfrida on Mon, Jul 27 2020, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

essie14

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 1:00 pm
Mollie wrote:
So this rule should apply to any Israeli in any university why are the Americans being singled out?

Israeli universities have been completely shut since March and I know that BIU is doing zoom classes for the fall as well.

smile12345

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:33 am
It doesn't look like things will be so simple for seminaries/Yeshivas next year, the regulations they'll have to follow sound extremely restrictive: https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:44 am
Unfortunately Yeshiva World news isn't up to upto date on all the planning the yeshivas and seminaries have been doing.
It's the nine days. Let's try not to malign a whole system

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:51 am
Yes. Unfortunately it's true. They will need to be locked down in the dorms for an unspecified amount of time (definitely through October. maybe till chanuka? Maybe till the end of the year? No one knows)
This is even AFTER the two week quarantine.
I got this straight from my daughter's seminary. I WISH it was just rumors.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:24 am
smile12345 wrote:
It doesn't look like things will be so simple for seminaries/Yeshivas next year, the regulations they'll have to follow sound extremely restrictive: https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html
This article is extremely out of date with information. It reads like an elementary school newspaper article, in other words, very badly.
I especially "liked" this paragraph:
"Not to make light of this situation, but Bochurim DO need to walk around Yerushalayim, they DO need to go to a falafel store, they DO need to Daven at the Kosel, and DO need to be able to have some type of freedom."
Are they serious? This article is so poorly written.
Even stranger when just a few days ago the following article was written by the same ywn: https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:32 am
banana123 wrote:
It's not locked up on campus for 10 months straight - there will be controlled trips and it stands to reason that at some point they will probably be allowed to spend off-Shabbosim with families.

Even a shabbaton, say in Chevron, where it is just them plus their host couple keeping 2 meters away from the nearest girl, will be an experience.

The air of Israel is different and leaving the media and atmosphere of the US behind, and handling the crisis with the same spirit as Israelis do, is worth a lot, in my opinion.

its not worth the 30k price tag. slash that number in half and we can talk about what quarantine seminary is worth.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:08 pm
I'm laughing so hard reading the comments on that yeshiva world article LOL
I'm not sure if I should be reading it in the 9 days lol
And I thought imamother could be entertaining.

banana123

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:50 am
causemommysaid wrote:
its not worth the 30k price tag. slash that number in half and we can talk about what quarantine seminary is worth.

To each their own. I don't know what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

I'm guessing some will find it worth it and some won't.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 3:40 pm
OP here
Just updating anyone who was wondering that we made the final decision not to send.
DD is at peace with her decision. We will be contacting Touro (to which we already applied for the Israel Option) and she will be registering for the Fall semester be"h

I am still mourning the idea of her going to Israel. But it is an experience that she wouldn't have this year anyways.

banana123

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 3:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here
Just updating anyone who was wondering that we made the final decision not to send.
DD is at peace with her decision. We will be contacting Touro (to which we already applied for the Israel Option) and she will be registering for the Fall semester be"h

I am still mourning the idea of her going to Israel. But it is an experience that she wouldn't have this year anyways.

Thank you for the update. Glad your seminary refunded you.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 4:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here

Thank you for the update and So glad to hear that you got refunded.
Hatzlocha with everything!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics