Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
If you use formula...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:32 am
can you explain the difference between the 'baby' and the 'toddler' formula and do I need to switch now that my baby is over one? Dc is mostly on solids but still has a bottle before bed and sometimes in the day.
TIA

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:38 am
After 12 months a child can drink regular milk, but most of their diet is food. the milk is no longer their main nutrition. They should have 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:48 am
I was going to start such a thread today!!
My baby refuses solids so he's basically on formula. Do I need to switch him to the toddler formula? What's the difference between the 2?

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
can you explain the difference between the 'baby' and the 'toddler' formula and do I need to switch now that my baby is over one? Dc is mostly on solids but still has a bottle before bed and sometimes in the day.
TIA

If he's mostly on solids, I think it doesn't really matter which formula he takes because he's probably getting enough from the food he eats.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:57 am
Why don't you just switch to cow's milk?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:02 pm
Im very into following the rules☺
I give materna, and the day/week dc turned one, I switched to the age 1+ box
If your child is still having formula, I would switch by what the box recommends, normally by one year old, it doesnt make a big diff either way

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:08 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Im very into following the rules☺
I give materna, and the day/week dc turned one, I switched to the age 1+ box
If your child is still having formula, I would switch by what the box recommends, normally by one year old, it doesnt make a big diff either way

I understood that toddler formula is in addition to regular food. If my baby doesn't eat any solids, is just toddler formula enough for him?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:14 pm
I'd ask my pediatrician.
My daughter was on a formula that only had one version until 14 months, and then we switched her to rice dream. (She had a milk intolerance, otherwise maybe the doctor would've advised regular milk.)
I still attempted to do 3 meals plus 2 snacks during the day, and bottles only for nap time or at night. I kind of wish I cut the bottles out completely though, because she's 4 already and still only falls asleep if she has one.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:15 pm
No solids at all at one years old?
Then maybe do half half?
Because the ones meant for younger kids and older kids are slightly diff. So you want him to get the nutrients from the younger age formula, but the fullness from the older age formula..

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:18 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
No solids at all at one years old?
Then maybe do half half?
Because the ones meant for younger kids and older kids are slightly diff. So you want him to get the nutrients from the younger age formula, but the fullness from the older age formula..

He refuses solids. I tried everything. I spend alot of time every day making him food and trying to get him to eat.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:21 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
He refuses solids. I tried everything. I spend alot of time every day making him food and trying to get him to eat.

Don’t try to feed him. Sit him on your lap or right next to you when you’re eating.

Teomima

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:24 pm
I've never kept a baby on formula past 1. At that point I switch to regular milk. You can do half formula, half milk, as they adjust to the flavor. But their main drink should be water, with bottles just for comfort (like before bed) and to supplement a regular diet.

One tip for the mother who's toddler wasn't into solids, I thought my first two were very behind when it came to solids till one day I noticed they had stolen bread sticks from the table at a Shabbat Kiddush. Turns out they didn't want spoonfuls of mush, they wanted to feed themselves! Once I switched to finger foods they happily ate their solids. I don't know if this will help you but it's worth a try if you haven't.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:28 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Don’t try to feed him. Sit him on your lap or right next to you when you’re eating.

We do that. He's always at the table or on my lap when we eat. I give him food, he plays with it and if by mistake a bit of food goes in to his mouth, he spits it out.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:30 pm
Teomima wrote:
I've never kept a baby on formula past 1. At that point I switch to regular milk. You can do half formula, half milk, as they adjust to the flavor. But their main drink should be water, with bottles just for comfort (like before bed) and to supplement a regular diet.

One tip for the mother who's toddler wasn't into solids, I thought my first two were very behind when it came to solids till one day I noticed they had stolen bread sticks from the table at a Shabbat Kiddush. Turns out they didn't want spoonfuls of mush, they wanted to feed themselves! Once I switched to finger foods they happily ate their solids. I don't know if this will help you but it's worth a try if you haven't.

I give him finger foods to feed himself. He plays with it and doesn't take a thing into his mouth. DH and his siblings were like this as a baby, seems like my baby got the same nature.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics