Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Did anyone else fall for this :( - Instagram influencer
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 4:25 am
I donated $140 to a worthy cause and I got an email from an “ instagram influencer” due to “ technical issues” the raffle was cancelled. I’m waiting for over a wk for the refund - not like it was a $5 ticket and I could just ignore it. I sent an email to her but no response.

Anyone??

Success10

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 4:28 am
Is it a well known organization? (Please don't say which one, I'm just wondering if it's legitimate).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 4:30 am
Very well known. I didn’t want to mention the name bc We all know they do extremely worthy causes

The “Instagram influencer “ should reimburse bc I sent the money directly to her.

Success10

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 4:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Very well known. I didn’t want to mention the name bc We all know they do extremely worthy causes

The “Instagram influencer “ should reimburse bc I sent the money directly to her.

If the influencer has a solid name, she probably will reimburse you. Keep nagging. And and some point, start saying you might have to leave some public comments on her Instagram. Save that threat for later, though. And don't actually follow through, it's not so nice.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 4:44 am
The influencer said that she’s working to refund everyone shortly.
I wouldn’t fall for anything like this on Instagram- it’s a lot of money to play with. But again, I don’t fall for any of the Instagram ads etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 4:48 am
I’m usually real Cautious and I’ve got no clue why I actually entered the raffle. It was for a reputable cause and I was thinking about all who could benefit. I’m wondering what the issue was that they had to cancel bc apparently a lot of people entered it. Unless she was lying. Now I def learned my lesson about this woman. Somehow I thought she was trustworthy 😩

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:13 am
Can you back charge?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:22 am
I don't have IG, but someone posted something that sounds similar in one of my FB groups. An influencer was raffling off designer bracelets for charity (but the fine print said 10% would go to charity), and that people had to donate the money through her DH's venmo. People were apparently demanding accountability for where the rest of the money was going to go, and eventually she pulled the whole thing. Not sure if this is the same person you're talking about.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:34 am
Violet - yes, you nailed it. Exactly what you mentioned is what I’m referring to.
I paid via Venmo to the hubby account. How on earth do I get reimbursed. I never used this app till I Purchased this raffle. Oy what a mess 😝

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Violet - yes, you nailed it. Exactly what you mentioned is what I’m referring to.
I paid via Venmo to the hubby account. How on earth do I get reimbursed. I never used this app till I Purchased this raffle. Oy what a mess 😝

So I don't personally have any info on this so take this information with a grain of salt, but do what you need to recoup your money. Someone in that group claims that she did an art giveaway, also for charity, a few months ago, and then just never actually gave anything away. They said people complained for a bit and then everyone forgot about it. Again, I can't vouch for the reliability of the poster in the FB group, but you have every right to try to recoup the money.

If I were you, I'd try to call the credit card company that you used for the venmo and see if they can put a stop to it. Say you believe it was a fraudulent charity scam, they stopped the charity and have promised to recoup the money but are no longer responding. Your CC company might help you cancel it. If you still want to donate to that organization, you can donate directly once you get your money back.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:50 am
[quote=

If I were you, I'd try to call the credit card company that you used for the venmo and see if they can put a stop to it. Say you believe it was a fraudulent charity scam, they stopped the charity and have promised to recoup the money but are no longer responding. Your CC company might help you cancel it. If you still want to donate to that organization, you can donate directly once you get your money back.[/quote]

I have no choice but to do that. I’m wondering if any one else on here fell for this stupidity too.

And I recall the art giveaway and I can’t fathom she even has one follower if it’s true she never announced a winner 😤 how does someone live that way? She makes it clear she is not lacking in any basic necessities so what’s the deal????

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:55 am
And Yes! I still definitely want to donate to the organization I had in mind initially. Waiting for the money.......

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:56 am
Hope you get your money back!!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 7:53 am
So this is not necessarily the organization sanctioning this? If the organization is, maybe you should alert them.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:05 am
A quick Google shows that this is the latest trend in scamming. They even have a name for it. "Insta-Scams".

https://www.instagram.com/expo.....hl=en

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:10 am
I would report her to instagram in addition to the other good suggestions.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:19 am
The reason I’m not complaining about it to the organization is bc I didn’t deposit the $140 directly To their account. The influencer was the “middleman” and she has to take responsibility for this craziness.
I already handed the money probably around 2 wks ago. This is pure stealing and she is a huge liar.

This influencer has 70k followers owns a store and why is she continuously cheating Ppl through different giveaways when it’s all lies. . What does she gain from this?? Isn’t she afraid to ruin her name and her store reputation???

I’ll report her. I feel so used when all I wanted to do was a good deed

baby12x

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The reason I’m not complaining about it to the organization is bc I didn’t deposit the $140 directly To their account. The influencer was the “middleman” and she has to take responsibility for this craziness.
I already handed the money probably around 2 wks ago. This is pure stealing and she is a huge liar.

This influencer has 70k followers owns a store and why is she continuously cheating Ppl through different giveaways when it’s all lies. . What does she gain from this?? Isn’t she afraid to ruin her name and her store reputation???

I’ll report her. I feel so used when all I wanted to do was a good deed

I think you have an obligation to let the organization know that someone is using their name for a scam or for dubious business practices.

This can affect the organization negatively and they should know so no one ties them to this and therefore reacts negatively towards them

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:30 am
baby12x wrote:
I think you have an obligation to let the organization know that someone is using their name for a scam or for dubious business practices.

This can affect the organization negatively and they should know so no one ties them to this and therefore reacts negatively towards them
[b]

Thx for the idea. I didn’t want to bother them but I’m done with this and I just want to be fair and square. I messaged them and let’s see what they respond.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:29 am
OP, I have a very strong hunch that there are actions you not only can take but should take. I also think you should start by consulting a rav.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics