Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Did anyone else fall for this :( - Instagram influencer
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:19 pm
I understood that it was a raffle which a percent was going to tzedaka. I personally would never enter but some people would I guess... not quite sure why returning the money is taking so long..

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 12:02 am
It’s crazy how some of these influencers are...I feel like I’m watching one long commercial and it’s so superficial and fake. I’m sick of feeling like I’m watching stuff they are being paid to pretend they like. There are a few influencers I really do like and I think they are doing good. One influencer today talked about a company that helps divorced women. I thought that was a nice change from the regular influencer programming.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 1:06 am
*sigh*

I'm literally convinced Hashem is testing me personally with this thread.

OP if you weren't anon I'd just give you her contact info for refund buuut as many have said, Instagram is fake. I mean this including the frummest accounts.

Y'all have no idea how much work goes into one of those pictures. It's alllll fake.

And anyone asking you to venmo for charity is clearly doing something problematic. I mean it's a marketing tool, charity but also bringing in $$$, so honestly is was probably just ignorance.

I have no doubt money will somehow be settled, the family is very well known. Annnd I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead before I say anything I shouldn't.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 7:23 am
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where she claimed this was a charity fundraiser. From the influencerstruth ig page it seems that she says she's doing a giveaway, $140 per ticket, for 3 Cartier bracelets. And in a separate story, she says that she's giving the ma'aser, 10%, to a charity that touched her heart. She says that very clearly. She's not pretending to be altruistic, giving away three bracelets just to raise money for them. That seems really clear. Anybody could easily do the math and see that she's making a profit off of this, but she's not claiming otherwise.

So it's not that she's asking you to venmo her money for a charity, she's asking you to participate in her expensive raffle, and don't worry she's giving 10% of her profits to charity.

(I don't follow her, had never heard of her, and skimming thru her page, would never be interested in following her.)

(And yes, the non refunded money is a HUGE issue. You could summon her to bais din or small claims court.)

crust

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 7:49 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where she claimed this was a charity fundraiser. From the influencerstruth ig page it seems that she says she's doing a giveaway, $140 per ticket, for 3 Cartier bracelets. And in a separate story, she says that she's giving the ma'aser, 10%, to a charity that touched her heart. She says that very clearly. She's not pretending to be altruistic, giving away three bracelets just to raise money for them. That seems really clear. Anybody could easily do the math and see that she's making a profit off of this, but she's not claiming otherwise.

So it's not that she's asking you to venmo her money for a charity, she's asking you to participate in her expensive raffle, and don't worry she's giving 10% of her profits to charity.

(I don't follow her, had never heard of her, and skimming thru her page, would never be interested in following her.)

(And yes, the non refunded money is a HUGE issue. You could summon her to bais din or small claims court.)

I agree. I don't see where she is lying.

I rarely go on Instagram because I can't stand the fakeness but I had to check this out.

She put it all out there. She is repeatedly saying and writing that a 'portion of the money' is going to the org.

She never says that its all going to the org.

Ok, so she is accused of doing a raffle without legal documents.
Really now? Does everyone now go after every single raffle to make sure they are doing things legally?

Come on.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:21 am
crust wrote:

I rarely go on Instagram because I can't stand the fakeness but I had to check this out.

She put it all out there. She is repeatedly saying and writing that a 'portion of the money' is going to the org.

Really now? Does everyone now go after every single raffle to make sure they are doing things legally?

Come on.

The issue is that she runs contests and doesn’t come through with the prizes. That’s dishonest even if the contests are free.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:26 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
The issue is that she runs contests and doesn’t come through with the prizes. That’s dishonest even if the contests are free.

Sure. But in the first few pages people make it seem that she's raising money under false pretenses. Posters here were telling op to contact the tzedaka organization. Op said she wanted to donate to a good cause. Imamothers here were questioning why not send money direct to the tzedaka, why to her husband.

And it's because she's making money from this, and not pretending otherwise.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t like judging ppl if they are more or less frum. But she should please keep her low self esteem off Instagram and her comments to her smushy friends in private via text or WhatsApp. It doesn’t make her popular. Just really needy and nauseating personally.

Ok edited and then I’m completely done and uninterested .... The words were stuck and I couldn’t figure out how to properly describe her behavior. She kind of built a cult with all of us and even more so to her “new found friends aka her insta messaging buddies “ I subscribed to her emails but they are all so sicky sweet- they are immediately discarded in the not so sweet trash.

Maybe get off Instagram??? I did a few months ago and the quality of my life has improved tremendously. You don’t realize how it affects you. Maybe this is happening to send you a message. Just get off. You’ll be so happy you did.

asmileaday

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:27 am

I don't follow the raffle instagrammer so can't comment on her specifically.
But I find that it's not just what they post on their feed. It's the stories they share that disappear daily that sets the tone.
So if an instagrammer talks on and on about her raffle and the wonderful organization it'll help support etc... she's giving her viewers the impression that she's doing this for charity. Sure everyone should read the fine print if there is any, but there's more to it than just what's posted on the feed.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:31 am
asmileaday wrote:
But I find that it's not just what they post on their feed. It's the stories they share that disappear daily that sets the tone.
So if an instagrammer talks on and on about her raffle and the wonderful organization it'll help support etc... she's giving her viewers the impression that she's doing this for charity. Sure everyone should read the fine print if there is any, but there's more to it than just what's posted on the feed.

Influencerstruth ig has the stories saved. She's very clear and doesn't even mention charity till a later story, and clearly says that 10%, ma'aser, will go to a charity she likes thats close to her heart.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:32 am
asmileaday wrote:

I’ve been following and I never thought she was giving all to charity. She never said it. I guess people hear what they want to hear but When she launched the raffle I thought she’s one smart woman whose making a lot of money! I also couldn’t believe that people would actually pay the amount for a raffle ticket.

Simple1

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:33 am
crust wrote:

Come on.

I'm wondering why anyone would want to pay that much money just for a chance to win something. If it's going to charity (and I mean more than maaser), then most people are doing it for the sake of giving tzedaka and accepting that they likely won't win.

Simple1

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:33 am
crust wrote:

Come on.

I'm wondering why anyone would want to pay that much money just for a chance to win something. If it's going to charity (and I mean more than maaser), then most people are doing it for the sake of giving tzedaka and accepting that they likely won't win but at least they donated to a worthy cause.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:36 am
I agree that OP was misled. It is the nature of influencers to convince you to do something quickly without thinking. Throw in a line or 2 about tzedaka and it seems altruistic.

I have never seen raffles for profit on Instagram- I wonder if it abides by their terms and conditions. Many business were hurt during Covid, including this one I’m sure, so people sometimes get desperate. Or maybe it was her husbands idea, hence his venmo account.

I just hope the money wasnt already spent. Sad

crust

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:40 am
Influencerstruth ig has the stories saved. She's very clear and doesn't even mention charity till a later story, and clearly says that 10%, ma'aser, will go to a charity she likes thats close to her heart.

That's what I listened to. Its all there. She is very upfront and clear.

She is making a raffle kiddos. Like the raffles you had at your 9th grade school party.

No claim of altruism.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:41 am

You had to watch her stories to see how she was misleading. Once you see it written it’s easy to say it was clear, but when she spoke how atime is so near and dear to her and how it’s a great raffle to support it - people made the tiny leap that the raffle was done together with atime. She didn’t say this is a raffle that benefits me only and my masser from it will go to an organization. While she was not lying straight out she was not honest.

crust

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:43 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I agree that OP was misled. It is the nature of influencers to convince you to do something quickly without thinking. Throw in a line or 2 about tzedaka and it seems altruistic.

I have never seen raffles for profit on Instagram- I wonder if it abides by their terms and conditions. Many business were hurt during Covid, including this one I’m sure, so people sometimes get desperate. Or maybe it was her husbands idea, hence his venmo account.

I just hope the money wasnt already spent. Sad

No. Its the nature of social media to make you impulsive. Its a trap.

An adult can't blame anyone for 'making you spend' 140 on a raffle. Your money your responsibility.

If you are on social media you have to know how to not fall prey to your own trap.

crust

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:46 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
You had to watch her stories to see how she was misleading. Once you see it written it’s easy to say it was clear, but when she spoke how atime is so near and dear to her and how it’s a great raffle to support it - people made the tiny leap that the raffle was done together with atime. She didn’t say this is a raffle that benefits me only and my masser from it will go to an organization. While she was not lying straight out she was not honest.

Her stories are still up there on influencerstruth.

I listened to them.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:47 am
crust wrote:
That's what I listened to. Its all there. She is very upfront and clear.

She is making a raffle kiddos. Like the raffles you had at your 9th grade school party.

No claim of altruism.

Which highlight was it on influencer truths?
Because the ones in the post were maybe 5/15 of the actual stories she posted

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 18 2020, 8:48 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:

I watched it and wasn’t misled... I knew she was giving a small amount and specifically to a special organization. Don’t see anything not honest about making a raffle and saying proceeds will go to a wonderful organization. I don’t know if it’s legal on Instagram because there are many rules on the platform- that’s another question but that’s between her and the law.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics