Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Politics forum?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:18 pm
What's going on? I saw it was locked a couple days ago... is it going to be locked for good? or are there going to be new rules?
(I highly approve of it being locked, it was getting soooo toxic from both directions- just curious what the plan is Wink)

amother
Black

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:24 pm
I was thinking the same. Yael posted that it’s disabled after posters mentioned they felt it was being moderated unfairly.
I enjoyed reading it but it was getting very personal and every thread ended up talking about the same thing.
I would love if there could be a politics forum where we can discuss what’s going on and our opinions but no need to put down other people.

mamma llama

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What's going on? I saw it was locked a couple days ago... is it going to be locked for good? or are there going to be new rules?
(I highly approve of it being locked, it was getting soooo toxic from both directions- just curious what the plan is Wink)

Maybe report your post so the mods will check, since they are more likely to know what's going on...

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:26 pm
Some have also raised suspicions that not all posters are genuine, and may be marketing campaigns. Hopefully Yael is looking into that.

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:27 pm
I think it was a wise decision to close the politics forum... I had been following it for some time, even before I registered, and what was going on there was not beautiful to see...

What went on under"Politics" really could put you off Imamother, if your impression was determined primarily by this forum.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:29 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Some have also raised suspicions that not all posters are genuine, and may be marketing campaigns. Hopefully Yael is looking into that.

That sounds so crazy no one sounded like a campaign worker, haha yeah the political groups have no better place to put their people but imamother

avrahamama

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:30 pm
I have it blocked. But I did watch it occasionally for this one poster. She really seems to only post there and she is so smart, level headed and pleasant to read.

I should PM her and let her know.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I was thinking the same. Yael posted that it’s disabled after posters mentioned they felt it was being moderated unfairly.
I enjoyed reading it but it was getting very personal and every thread ended up talking about the same thing.
I would love if there could be a politics forum where we can discuss what’s going on and our opinions but no need to put down other people.

agreed!! It feels so disingenuous to me that frum women can care sooo much about politics but so little about bein adam l'chaveiro and basic human decency

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
agreed!! It feels so disingenuous to me that frum women can care sooo much about politics but so little about bein adam l'chaveiro and basic human decency

It sounded like when people on one side were losing the argument so they had to go complain that its not fair. It’s so immature. What’s with free speech?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:40 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
It sounded like when people on one side were losing the argument so they had to go complain that its not fair. It’s so immature. What’s with free speech?

I lurk on the politics forum a lot.
That is not at all what has been happening.
A handful of brash, rude and very vocal posters out-shout everyone else and derail every attempt at respectful dialogue.
I am glad it's locked and I hope it stays that way. It was not befitting a frum forum.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:41 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
That sounds so crazy no one sounded like a campaign worker, haha yeah the political groups have no better place to put their people but imamother

Hmm then how do you explain this?

LOL LOL LOL

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 3:57 pm
I miss it.

Perhaps not perfect; however, this is an important part of our reality today.
I learned a lot from it and from some posters in particular and was also able to express my views in a safe frum setting.

Found it much more engaging than some other topics here; however, to each her own.

And if its not one's cup of tea scroll on there are forum topics I don't click on; however, never thought to try to get them shut down.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:11 pm
Maybe I’m just very naive but I don’t think anyone was a paid campaigner. It sounded like the people who posted were just very into politics which I understand because I am too.
There were times I wanted to post to say my opinion but I didnt because I knew I wasn’t going to change anyone’s opinion so I just kept it to myself.

Also let’s make sure that this thread doesn’t turn into a Lashon harah thread about people who posted in the politics forum. Ik I’m guilty of it but I realized after I posted that its gonna turn into bashing. Sorry.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:14 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I miss it.

Perhaps not perfect; however, this is an important part of our reality today.
I learned a lot from it and from some posters in particular and was also able to express my views in a safe frum setting.

Found it much more engaging than some other topics here; however, to each her own.

And if its not one's cup of tea scroll on there are forum topics I don't click on.

Nothing about that forum felt safe.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:16 pm
doubt there are any more trolls there than anywhere else here as is a feature of any internet forum unfortunately; though thanks to Yael and the moderators as safe as can be

Op if you are happy about it then why did you post this thread instead of just PMing Yael and/or the mods and asking them?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:21 pm
Felt quite as safe as any other forum here.

And again, no one has to go on it.

As for recycled arguments that also goes on in many threads, topics, etc.

and now that I think about much safer than the intimacy threads in which some creeps pm'd legit imamother posters
or times when poor posters were pm ing and turning to posters for emotional advice when those posters turned out to be posturing fake trolls.

Though it seems from this thread some people are happy its locked and were pushing for that.
Live and learn.
Perhaps the same people who think for some reason that everyone has to agree with their opinion.
Cancel culture.

Simple1

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:36 pm
We need politics discussion (among other good topics) to keep things from getting boring. Not everyone is so interested in the pregnancy and other such threads.

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:39 pm
Simple1 wrote:
We need politics discussion (among other good topics) to keep things from getting boring. Not everyone is so interested in the pregnancy and other such threads.

I agree.

Notice how very few people on this thread posted under their screen name. However rough and tumble it got in politics you couldn't hide behind amother.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:40 pm
Good points Simple1.

Op its almost like you sound like women can only talk about children and recipes. Two lovely and worthy topics in and of themselves to be sure.

If it didn't feel safe to someone then for sure that poster should not go on it. Guess I am a big believer in freedom of choice -- within halacha that is.
I prefer to simply choose to not go on topics that don't feel comfortable or interesting to me rather than force everyone to go along with my preferences.
I do understand that perhaps Op and some others may simply be more insulated.

icebreaker

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:52 pm
I very rarely (like never) posted in the politics forum. Too heavy for me. But I’d lurk once in a while. I had no idea it was locked but now that I’m thinking, Imamother does seem “quieter” lol.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics