Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Nifter grandparents

cdawnr

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 12:01 pm
I know that there is/was a section of those who have lost their mothers, but I couldn't find it or I would have posted there (although bh my mom is still here, my dad is gone.)

I wanted to know at what age children can understad/relate/be interested in- relatives who are nifter. My dad passed away the year before I got married. He was such a terrific man and he would have been so great with my kids.
Right now they know that there is grandma (my mom), gramie (dh's mom) grandpa (dh dad - not married to gramie) but my dad is too abstract a concept. When we come across a picture in the phot albums I always say and that is grandpa Alan, my dad....but it makes me so sad that htey don't relate.

My oldest is 3, so I know they are young but just curious to hear from anyone with experience in this.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 12:06 pm
I think it is normal. 3 is young.
I remember around 8 I definitely related (my dad was an orphan young).

If you want them to relate earlier, you could volunteer infos and stories about him. Around 6 (maybe?) you could draw them a small family tree and explain each person too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics