Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How long does RH davening last by you?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

sub

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:12 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Why break before leining?
I always thought the break is after leining.

So that they can eat and drink ( usually a coffee)

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:19 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Ours was super short this year due to the pandemic that is not over yet! And we were all masked and six feet apart at multiple minyanim to keep the numbers low. Anyone else

Same.
We had 6 choices. Indoors or outdoors for:
Haskama
With chazanus
Haskama style but starting and 8:45.
(We davened there and we went until noon -a little earlier on Shabbos because of no shofar)

All minyanim were 6 feet (between households) and families worked together-I.e., the Baal koreh was a dad and his older (post BM sons) did hagba/galila/took the Torah in and out of the Arron, rolled it to get to maftir and were the proof readers (don't know what that is called.
Shofar was blown outside, with the emergency door open, once again, it was a man assisted by his son.

A tremendous amount of work was done by so many people.
Between figuring out the seating,
Measuring chair distance, and with extra minyanim, the number of people who rose up to davin/layn/blow shofar/act as a gabbai...was amazing.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:25 pm
8:30 - 12

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:56 pm
My husband came home a little after six both days. I said it was a hard day for me, running after the kids single-handedly (hard is not the word but okay). He's acting like I'm a weakling of a woman and he is a strong, good man who is ready to put up with me. I should be grateful that he's so nice but I'm feeling mad instead. Thanks for listening.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:08 pm
8:30-6:00 second day.

First day was earlier because of shabbos finished davening 4:30

Proudly Right

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:17 pm
8 - 4

With a 40 minute poza (break)

Satmar - Lakewood

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:22 pm
8-4 including mincha. There's a break before mussaf but I'm not sure for how long, someplace between half-hour and 1 hour.

First day RH we ate 3 seudos in 4.5 hours!!!

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:38 pm
Lakewood
7:15-2:10

There was a 15 minute break for kiddush before mussaf. After the break there was tehillim and the rav spoke so it was probably more like a 30 minute break.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 5:09 pm
5:50-9:30

Its a no nonsense minyan.

sunshine5

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 7:55 pm
sunshine5 wrote:
8:30-5:30

Half hour break.
Like the others mentioned it's a Chasidish shul. We don't take naps on RH so besides that the davening is beautiful and soul stirring its also a great way for the day to pass... It is hard for the mothers of little kids so I learned to stock up on Nosh and new toys and when the weather is as awesome as this year it's a special bonus..
The main thing is wherever we are as long or short as we are in shul for Hashem shud fulfill our prayers for a healthy and happy year full of blessings and our hearts desired..

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 8:01 pm
9-1 with a 10 minute break before shofar. In Lakewood, not a yeshivish minyan.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 8:56 pm
8:30 - 4:30.

8:30 - 12 was shacharis & leining

12-1:30 break (my husband davened shacharis in one shul and mussaf in a different shul. The shacharis shul davened shacharis at 8:30 but the mussaf shul davened at 9:00 and ended at 12:30, hence they resumed at 1:30)

1:30 tekias shofar

2-4:30 mussaf

Mincha was at 7:20 in yet a different shul. No lack of shuls bli ayin hora in my neighborhood

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 8:58 pm
So what do you guys do after you finish davening at 11:30???
Seudah is over by 12:30-1, and then..... the day is endlessly long. You can't nap. So you sit around and watch the kids bicker?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:07 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
8:30 - 4:30.

8:30 - 12 was shacharis & leining

12-1:30 break (my husband davened shacharis in one shul and mussaf in a different shul. The shacharis shul davened shacharis at 8:30 but the mussaf shul davened at 9:00 and ended at 12:30, hence they resumed at 1:30)

1:30 tekias shofar

2-4:30 mussaf

Mincha was at 7:20 in yet a different shul. No lack of shuls bli ayin hora in my neighborhood

I can't answer for those people but here it's 7:15-2:15. If we started 1 hr and 15 minutes later and hadn 1 hr and a half break we'd end at 5. It's so much easier for families to start the seuda at 2 something than at 5 something!

Our schedule was - 2:30-5 seuda then we hung out for an hour and then my husband went to mincha and to learn at 6 and I did bedtime and read.

salt

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:57 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Seudah is over by 12:30-1, and then..... the day is endlessly long. You can't nap. So you sit around and watch the kids bicker?

You can't win. Smile
Some complain that shul is too long. Some complain that their husbands are out of the house too long. If you prefer long shul, go to a long shul. If you prefer a shul that ends at 11:30 go to that.
The kids will still exist, whether shul is long or not.
And you can nap if you are exhausted. And your kids can certainly nap.
Take them out for a walk. A bit similar to shabbos really. Go to the park (corona restrictions allowing).
Invite a friend with kids of similar ages. Go to a children's shofar blowing.
Play games. Read them stories. Learn mishnayos.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:18 am
Mama Bear wrote:

If your dh isn’t home then you have to watch the kids the endless day alone no?

And you don’t have a lunch seuda?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 2:35 am
salt wrote:
You can't win. Smile
Some complain that shul is too long. Some complain that their husbands are out of the house too long. If you prefer long shul, go to a long shul. If you prefer a shul that ends at 11:30 go to that.
The kids will still exist, whether shul is long or not.
And you can nap if you are exhausted. And your kids can certainly nap.
Take them out for a walk. A bit similar to shabbos really. Go to the park (corona restrictions allowing).
Invite a friend with kids of similar ages. Go to a children's shofar blowing.
Play games. Read them stories. Learn mishnayos.

Youre not supposed to nap on RH....

amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
If your dh isn’t home then you have to watch the kids the endless day alone no?

And you don’t have a lunch seuda?

I have boys, theyre in shul with my husband all day. (I'm also in shul for part of the day.) If they'd be home by 12, we'd be ripping our hair out by 4 pm. They squabble non stop. In shul at least one of them davens while the other one plays with the kids his age. He has no friends to play with at home, the neighbors dont come out to play on Shabbos/YomTov.

Lunch seudah would be at 12. and then??? loong afternoon. (It feels endless on Shabbos, I lose my mind.)

watergirl

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 2:52 am
Mama Bear wrote:

Not napping is not halacha. Many people do nap. And some kids play nicely. Or play/bicker. It’s ok. Just like any other shabbos or yt.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 6:36 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Our minyan was from 8-11:30. We ate at 12 - 2. Then my husband took a nap. There is no halacha that says you cant nap. My daughter and I played games until my husband woke up. We went for a walk to walk to the dogs. My daughter played outside with a few friends (within the regulations). My husband and I had a monopoly deal marathon (as we do every shabbat after his nap Smile ) and then chag was over.

Then again, even growing up in ameica, shul was NEVER all day, not on RH or YK.

ladYdI

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:43 am
I went for mussaf both days
First day was 12-2:30
Second day 12-3:15 w shofar
My husband davens In another shul and came home an hour later than me
It works out great I get home and have time to prepare the seudah
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur