Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Masked Shofar
Previous  1  2

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:09 pm
soap suds wrote:
I know she said that. But that made it seem like others were doing it. Hence my question.

Got it now.
I must leave this thread at once. It made me laugh but it’s wrong to laugh about anything covid related. Chau Hi

4g01o

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:20 pm
Uncovered, outside at a local curbside shofar blowing. No one was anywhere near the guy besides for his wife and kids.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:33 pm
Iymnok wrote:
DH blew uncovered. He also didn’t put it through a hole in a mask. He was concerned about the halachic aspect since it might alter the sound. It was outside and everyone gave him extra space.

How would a HOLE help? Can someone please draw a demonstration of this LOL
If there is a hole aren't the germs going to come out of it and contaminate everyone??

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:36 pm
Our shul did nothing. everything was regular.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:40 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
It’s the ou’s recommendation. Our shul did it, too. BH.

The agudah said not to do it

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:56 pm
Our shul did it and we were outdoors on the roof.

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:12 pm
Where I heard shofar, we were outside, spread out, and the ba'al tokeyah wore a mask while he blew.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:42 pm
How does wearing a mask while you blow help? Your air is still going through the shofar? Not judging anyone, just trying to undestand that.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:58 pm
Nope, my dh says no interest and according to majority of rabbis, passul. You unmask to blow (no, not only charedi)

Good Friend

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 5:04 pm
My husband did not mask the shofar, but he took a Covid test on erev Yom tov.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 7:18 pm
shanie5 wrote:
Where I heard shofar, we were outside, spread out, and the ba'al tokeyah wore a mask while he blew.

How do you blow while wearing a mask?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 7:23 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Nope, my dh says no interest and according to majority of rabbis, passul. You unmask to blow (no, not only charedi)

According to the OU, one of the largest and most prominent organizations of Orthodox rabbis in the world, "An appropriate precaution during shofar blowing would be to place a surgical mask over the wider end of the shofar, as this does not appear to alter the sound of the shofar blast."

So clearly the "majority" or rabbis don't hold it to be passul.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 7:29 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
According to the OU, one of the largest and most prominent organizations of Orthodox rabbis in the world, "An appropriate precaution during shofar blowing would be to place a surgical mask over the wider end of the shofar, as this does not appear to alter the sound of the shofar blast."

If the blower is wearing a mask, that would appear to passul the blasts. The blowers lips need to be in direct contact with the shofar.

Putting a mask over the open end is not passul the blasts, since it has no effect on the sound. How much effect it has on viral spread is an open question, since no real studies took place. The force of the shofar blast may be enough to push a larger proportion of viral particles than normal through the mask. But it does look like a good gesture.

Can anyone who did this explain exactly how they fixed the mask over the shofar do that it stayed in place right through the davening?

Last edited by Elfrida on Mon, Sep 21 2020, 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

keym

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 7:33 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

It seems like majority of poskim say that there may not be a chatzitza between the mouth and the shofar (mouth guard, reed, even discussions on lipstick or chapstick). But there is no responsa on a covering between the shofar and the world.
Most Rabbonim say that the baal Tokeah cannot be wearing a mask.
OU says the shofar should wear a mask. Or at least the shofar should be directed out the window.
Aguda says no mask on the shofar, but efforts should be made for the baal Tokeah to have current antibodies, and for sure should have a current negative corona test.

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:10 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
How do you blow while wearing a mask?

He didn't seem to have a problem.
As for being Kosher or allowed, I'm sure this was not done on his own. It was outside a yeshivish shul, and dh says that they blew the same way inside it.nI guess there are many ways that its okayed by some and not by others.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:35 am
SixOfWands wrote:

big meh. BH for them. The majority consulted said no. INCL not charedi

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:05 am
I don't know if the shofar was masked, we listened to it through our window and couldn't see it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur