Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is a bread machine worth it? If yes, recommendation please!
Previous  1  2

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:00 am
Rye bread receipe.

Until video, it's about starter, if you want to go straight to the receipe, look after the video.

To make sourdough starter will take you about 10 days, but you can bake the first breads after 4 days or so.

Take three spoons of rye flour and three spoons of lukewarm water. Mix into a dough. cover with a cloth and let it out for 15-24 hours (depends on the room temperature, the warmer, the quicker, the colder, the slower) The best temperature is 24-28°C.

After 15-24 hour, add three spoons of rye flour and three spoons of water, mix again, cover with cloth, leave outside for 15-24 hours (just approximately one day, doesn't have to be exact).

Now you have to double the flour quantity every day. So you take 6 spoons of flour the 3rd day, 12 the fourth day, etc... or, when you feel you have too much, you could also take away half of your starter and add the same quantity of flour you added the day before...

After 4 days, you can start baking, but it is good to go on feeding the sourdough every day for about 10 days, so that the bacteria culture becomes stronger. Over shabbat, you should keep the starter in the fridge, since you cannot feed it on shabbat... or else you would have to feed your starter right before and right after shabbat.

After 10 days or so it is enough to feed the starter once a week, the day before you want to bake... So you will keep the starter in the fridge, feed it, leave it out for about 12 hours, and put it back to the fridge till next week.

Here is a video that shows you how to make a starter with wheat flour, and it is exactly the same with rye flour. You do not need to add anything, the sourdough bacteria are already in the grain, you just have to give them good conditions to grow. For the start of the starter whole grain rye flour might be better, since the bacteria are mainly in the husks..

Here is the receipe for the rye sourdough bread.

Take 1/2 regular rye flour, 1/2 whole grain rye flour. If you want a dough that is easy to shape,
take 1/3 regular rye, 1/3 whole grain rye, 1/3 white wheat flour
(add white flour only in the last phase)

feed your starter. It has to be rye starter. Wait a few hours.
(starter must have been fed max. 24h before you start)

take 1 spoon (10g) rye flour, 1 spoon lukewarm water, 1 mokkaspoon (1g) of starter. mix. cover with cheesecloth.
let rest for 7h on counter or over heater at about 24°C (not too hot, over 40°C kills starter)

Add 1 cup of rye flour, 10 spoons of lukewarm water, just enough to make a very dry dough.
Let rest for 9h at 24°C

Add 3 cups of rye flour, 1-2 cups of lukewarm water, mix.
Let rest for 3h at 24°C

Add 4 cups of flour, 2-3 cups of lukewarm water, 1 tablespoon salt, cumin, mix for 10 minutes, shape into loaves, let proof for 1h.

Perheat oven (and baking sheet) at 250°C, add water for steam,
Bake for 20 min at 250°C, then reduce heat to 200°C and bake for 25 more minutes.

Take out, let cool on a rack

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 2:55 am
I have one. I used to use it to make challah every week, and occasionally we would make bread or pizza dough. Then I got a magic mill and use that for challah instead. I rarely make bread during the week. During lockdown I did make bread (only because I couldn't get pas yisrael bread locally, not because I had spare time lol) but I didn't use the bread machine, but that may be because the dough hook went missing for a bit.

I found a really easy recipe online that took about 3 hours start to finish. I didn't even bother with the magic mill, it was a pretty small recipe. https://gatherforbread.com/eas.....read/

Maybe that website has brown bread recipes you may enjoy.

I hate lugging out my bread machine and cluttering up the counter and putting it back. If there was such a thing as a built in bread machine I would probably use it a lot more.

I have a panasonic.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:22 am
andrea levy wrote:
I’d rather just get a Bosch

I have a 4.5-quart Kitchen Aid, but I have 2 bowls. I usually make 5 pounds of challah at a time. I do think I will buy a Bosch eventually, but not right now.

I was wondering if the bread machine would make the process of making bread easier than that of making challah, but it doesn't seem like it.

I'm wondering if anyone has a really good recipe for whole wheat bread (preferably white whole wheat).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics