Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Magic Mill, just made challah

SRK

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 5:24 pm
I just made challah in the magic mill, and my mother just told me it's supposed to be easy. It doesn't look like it mixed to well, the eggs don't look mixed in, I don't know what I did wrong! I used the metal bowl with the scraper and the roller, the roller was in the middle, locked in (it was turning around also when the mixer was on- is it supposed to?).
Does anyone know what I did wrong?
I used 13 cups of flour

greeneyes

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 6:41 pm
I wish I had advice for you, but I can certainly empathize! I've tried a number of times to use my magic mill, but somehow it never seems to mix right & I spend so much time trying to figure it out & cleaning up all the flour that splatters everywhere! The past few times I made challah I ended up just kneading it by hand to avoid all the hassle! LOL

Can anyone help us magic mill novices?

justanothermother

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 6:56 pm
You can use the roller for the first half of the flour, but then you should switch to the dough hook.

I sometimes dump in all the ingredients (flour on the bottom, liquid on top so it doesn't fly), set the timer for the max amount, and walk away. When I come back I have dough ready to go.

imamothertoo

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 6:59 pm
Didn't your machine come with a dough hook. if I am not mistaken, the roller is meant for cakes - batter. youre suuposed to use the dough hook-metal and the roller. Good luck.

cassandra

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 7:16 pm
I had the same problem the few times I tried ut (I have a Bosch) so I gave up and use a bread machine instead.

But I keep thinking that it must be me and I want to try it again. (It's been 6 years since the last time)

SRK

Post Fri, Jan 25 2008, 2:56 am
what is the dough hook? that big piece of metal? How does it work? the instruction booklet doesn't mention it, and newayz that book is a waste of time!

justanothermother

Post Fri, Jan 25 2008, 8:15 am

This is how it lookd assembled with the dough hook.

The part on the left goes into the hole where the scraper goes and the scraper goes into the hole on the left part. There is another hole on the top part on the hook, sort of in the center. You take the piece you would normally put into the roller, and put it into the hole.

Maybe someone else can explain it better than me.

SRK

Post Sat, Jan 26 2008, 3:25 pm
justanothermother wrote:

This is how it lookd assembled with the dough hook.

The part on the left goes into the hole where the scraper goes and the scraper goes into the hole on the left part. There is another hole on the top part on the hook, sort of in the center. You take the piece you would normally put into the roller, and put it into the hole.

Maybe someone else can explain it better than me.

Will try and look at it tomorrow to try and figure it out

shoy18

Post Sun, Jan 27 2008, 8:32 pm
You need to use the dough hook, I put in all the dry ingredients and then slowly add all the wet, on a low speed, and when its all incorporated turn up the speed and let it go by itself. I also found not using the scraper was easier
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads