Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is this ok to send?
Previous  1  2  3

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 2:03 am
Looks great to me! I do have kids who don't like things "touching" or "mixed" but duck sauce is sweet so not a big deal. If the kids pick out the green beans then at least they'll have delicious chicken and rice.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 4:39 am
Make sure they like chicken on the bone.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 4:45 am
looks yum to me but yes think its a great idea to ask the recipient
would not want my money time to go to waste nor have them not get a meal they will eat and enjoy

I really like meal trains (often in form of online forms) which provide recipients tastes and preferences

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 4:54 am
I would do the same meal but the string beans in a separate pan. Shouldn't be much more work.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 5:16 am
Yes 3 different pans for the "my rice touched a green bean" kids.

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:49 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I personally would not send a one pan meal. My kids defenitely would not touch and probably dh also. I would do that in seperate pans. I also try to include a fruit,dessert,salad and another main when I send so there is variety.

I agree. My family does not touch one pan meals. They claim the chicken is too "chickeny"
I also wouldnt send chicken thursday night for supper but that my own thing.

Maybe send a falafel bar. send all the salad items, pita, falafel and pickles & garlic knots for kids...

imasoftov

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 9:46 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
They claim the chicken is too "chickeny"

spikta

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 11:58 am
Chiming in since I seem to be in the minority.
I love one dish meals. The rice tasting chicken-y is what makes it good! Plain baked green beans are usually overcooked and oversalted and bland. I like it when all the flavors are mixed.
Whereas pizza pita and reheated french fries don't excite me at all...

I think the bottom line is that there's just a huge range of tastes. It's legitimately hard to find something that everyone will like.

kenz

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
you wouldn't because you dont think kids will eat, or because you would not want everything in one pan? just curious to clarify

My kids wouldn't touch this, I'd end up eating the whole pan myself. (Not necessarily anything wrong with that...) LOL
If the kids are very little, it's taking a slight risk, unless you know they eat like adults.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 7:57 pm
spikta wrote:
I love one dish meals. The rice tasting chicken-y is what makes it good! Plain baked green beans are usually overcooked and oversalted and bland. I like it when all the flavors are mixed.

I think the bottom line is that there's just a huge range of tastes. It's legitimately hard to find something that everyone will like.

True. But if someone is going to be super picky, better to not sign up for a meal train! It's not like ordering from a menu or a caterer! It's a bit much to put in specific food requests beyond the very basics, like allergies or dietary restrictions.
And if you are expecting a grand meal with soup, 2 mains, an elaborate salad and sides not to mention dessert and the expectations of leftovers, you are probably going to be disappointed. And if those are the expected sort of meals, I think lots of volunteers will burn out.

It's a bit much to expect, especially from someone who has limited time and/or money. I have a feeling the people who send over those elaborate meals don't have the same constraints. If you work f/t, it probably ain't happening. If you are on a tight budget, also.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:16 pm
I have low self esteem when it comes to presenting food to anyone other than my own family.
Suffice it to say that this thread has only proven to me that this is 100000% not the mitzvah that is right for me.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:18 pm
I don’t do meal trains. I don’t take and I don’t give. These threads have pretty much killed any chance of me changing my ways.

elisheva25

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:24 pm
Looks great to me

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:28 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I don’t do meal trains. I don’t take and I don’t give. These threads have pretty much killed any chance of me changing my ways.

Yup! Me too!

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 8:53 pm
spikta wrote:

Same. We all love chicken and rice cooked together. Its a thing! And no, not mushy.

This one meal though, I would not do. I cant imagine how the green beans would come out when cooked that long.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 9:02 pm
in case anyone is curious... I made it in 3 separate pans. and I did the cookies and soup. thanks for the input!

SuperWify

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 9:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
in case anyone is curious... I made it in 3 separate pans. and I did the cookies and soup. thanks for the input!

So nice! A lot harder then you anticipated.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics