Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
BDE: Mayer Rispler dies of Covid19
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

ora_43

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:53 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
There are people that took every single precaution, the wore masks and SD, they were so careful, people that never left the house, and they died. Yet there are people that don't take any precautions and they didnt get sick. No one knows how this virus works. Hashem is trying to show us that he's in charge, we're just not letting him.

There are people who wore seat belts and died in a car crash anyway, there are people who didn't wear seat belts and were the sole survivors of deadly crashes.

There are children who are hit by cars while walking on the sidewalk, and children who play in the streets and never get hurt.

There are people who don't smoke and do get lung cancer, and people who do smoke, and don't.

Would you say that we don't know how seat belts work? That it's not clear whether it's safer for a child to play on the sidewalk, or in the road? That there's no proven connection between smoking and cancer?

There's no contradiction between Hashem being in charge, and us having ways to protect ourselves. The opposite - if there was nothing we could do to protect ourselves, no safer way to do things because it's all b'yadei shamayim anyway, a lot of mitzvot wouldn't make any sense.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:53 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
There are people that took every single precaution, the wore masks and SD, they were so careful, people that never left the house, and they died. Yet there are people that don't take any precautions and they didnt get sick. No one knows how this virus works. Hashem is trying to show us that he's in charge, we're just not letting him.

We do know how the virus works. And we do know that all we can do currently is lower the numbers, and not stop its spread completely. So while we will still have people who take precautions falling sick, the numbers are quite lower than they would be if no precautions would be in place. And to every disease, there are people who don't get sick of it. That's how Hashem designed humankind, to ensure that there will always by human survivors. There were people who never got sick from polio or the Black death, even when they were exposed to it. Should we tell all people not worry about polio or the black death based on that there are some unknown amongst us who won't come down with it?

The lack of scientific knowledge is getting scarier by the day. People are weaving their own little stories and explanations without even seeing how nonsensical their arguments are. If you don't know how the macroscopic and microscopic work, how can you even begin to understand that your personal reasonings make zero sense?

We are literally in a situation where the blind is leading the blind.

So sad - and so very scary.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:59 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

My grandmother smoked a package of cigarettes a day and lived to 90...
Her sister too, she even lived to 93!!!

So from this we learn that smoking is no risk?

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:00 am
gold21 wrote:
I can't say I agree because all the people I know who are super careful (older people) have not caught it, B"H.

But yes, I agree that Hashem is in charge. 2020 has certainly shown us that! Ain Od Milvado!

I also agree that many people follow their social groups blindly and don't employ critical thinking skills as often as they should. It's sad, guys.

Same here.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:11 am
ora_43 wrote:
There are people who wore seat belts and died in a car crash anyway, there are people who didn't wear seat belts and were the sole survivors of deadly crashes.

There are children who are hit by cars while walking on the sidewalk, and children who play in the streets and never get hurt.

There are people who don't smoke and do get lung cancer, and people who do smoke, and don't.

Would you say that we don't know how seat belts work? That it's not clear whether it's safer for a child to play on the sidewalk, or in the road? That there's no proven connection between smoking and cancer?

There's no contradiction between Hashem being in charge, and us having ways to protect ourselves. The opposite - if there was nothing we could do to protect ourselves, no safer way to do things because it's all b'yadei shamayim anyway, a lot of mitzvot wouldn't make any sense.

There's definite proof and data that seatbelts save lives.
There's definite proof and data that smoking can cause lung cancer and respiratory issues.
There's definite data that people running into traffic are hit by cars.
There's absolutely NO DEFINITE data and proof that masks help!!! No one has yet to figure out how the virus spreads or works! They change their minds every day! They think masks is the answer but it just gives everyone a false sense of security. They want to think they have an answer, so they're saying masks is the answer but there's no definite proof that masks help.

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
There's definite proof and data that smoking can cause lung cancer and respiratory issues.
There's absolutely NO DEFINITE data and proof that masks help!!! No one has yet to figure out how the virus spreads or works! They change their minds every day! They think masks is the answer but it just gives everyone a false sense of security. They want to think they have an answer, so they're saying masks is the answer but there's no definite proof that masks help.

K fine, I'm not like one of these pro-mask activist types, but yes, I do believe they help somewhat, particularly in crowded enclosed spaces.

But I am anti large gatherings during a pandemic. Large gatherings are proven to spread the virus.

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:21 am
Are schools essential? Yes.

Are large weddings essential? No. Are small weddings essential? Yes.

Seichel, peeps.

ora_43

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:22 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
There's absolutely NO DEFINITE data and proof that masks help!!!

How are you defining "definite data"/"definite proof"? Without clarifying that, we can't get anywhere.

I'm struggling to think of a definition that would apply to all of those other things, but not masks. For all of them, figuring out the risk is a mix of statistics/probability, and a general (but sometimes imperfect) understanding of how the causality works.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:24 am
Y is all this under this title? This thread should have been all good deeds R' meyer zelig did in his lifetime. Not bashing one another. U can bash but choose a diff title.

End of sentence.

lilies

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:28 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Y is all this under this title? This thread should have been all good deeds R' meyer zelig did in his lifetime. Not bashing one another. U can bash but choose a diff title.

End of sentence.

True, yet one might assume he'd much prefer not to be mentioned and eulogized on social media at all.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:30 am
lilies wrote:
True, yet one might assume he'd much prefer not to be mentioned and eulogized on social media at all.

So remove this thread. He definitely doesnt want yiddisha kinder fight under his name.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:32 am
gold21 wrote:
K fine, I'm not like one of these pro-mask activist types, but yes, I do believe they help somewhat, particularly in crowded enclosed spaces.

But I am anti large gatherings during a pandemic. Large gatherings are proven to spread the virus.

Me too. I don't believe masks really help but I do think that large gatherings should 100% be stopped.

GetReal

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

Of course Hashem is in charge. Out of all my relatives who had corona only some died, not all. It was their time.

But I don’t walk across the street with my eyes closed. And I’m RH negative so I get the shots. Hashem gave me tools to protect my babies. The pregnancies I lost anyway were Hashem’s will.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:41 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Then maybe he would have caught it in shul on RH, YK, or ST....
I dont think anyone isolated themselves over Tishrei out of fear. A lot of ppl caught it in shul.
He is the first person to pass away from this 2nd wave in Wmsbg. and I daven that he is the last, and everyone else have a refuah sheleima.

YES HE SHOULD HAVE stayed safe over Tishrei. There should have been safe options.

I TOOK MY KIDS TO THE ONLY OUTDOOR HAKAFOS WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE OF WILLIAMSBURG

The fact that there were no safety precautions in Williamsburg over yomtov is part of the insanity that some of my nearest and dearest are so caught up in, they can't even see how crazy that is.

People who want to stay safe are not being supported to do so. Their blood is on the community's heads.

myself

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:54 am
gold21 wrote:
I can't say I agree because all the people I know who are super careful (older people) have not caught it, B"H.

But yes, I agree that Hashem is in charge. 2020 has certainly shown us that! Ain Od Milvado!

I also agree that many people follow their social groups blindly and don't employ critical thinking skills as often as they should. It's sad, guys.

Not my experience, unfortunately.

I didn't know R' Mayer Rispler z"l, but with the turn this thread has taken it would be respectful if everyone reading this thread stops for a minute to say a chapter of Tehillim for his neshama.
I'm going to report my post so a mod can split the thread.

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 11:58 am
myself wrote:
Not my experience, unfortunately.

I didn't know R' Mayer Rispler z"l, but with the turn this thread has taken it would be respectful if everyone reading this thread stops for a minute to say a chapter of Tehillim for his neshama.
I'm going to report my post so a mod can split the thread.

I think splitting the thread is a very wise idea.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics