Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How can I avoid using aluminum pans on shabbos?
Previous  1  2

cheerios

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:14 am
I am trying to avoid aluminum. And I like that pyrex goes from oven to fridge with matching lids. This stainless steel steam table pans sound ok but they don't have lids.

Last edited by cheerios on Sun, Nov 29 2020, 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:24 am
You can get ceramic casserole dishes with covers in square and rectangular shapes. The can go from freezer to oven to table. They can go on a hot plate or blech.
I use Pyrex in square shapes with covers for salads on shabbos.
They get washed when the leftovers are finished.
Saves tons of cleanup time.

Look up corningware French white casseroles.
Walmart has them cheap.
Rectangular ones are much pricier.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:36 am
Tzippy323 wrote:
I am so glad I can share this! I was thinking about ways that I could use my Corning Ware and Pyrex. I came up with a solution. Do you remember the water blech that used to boil out before Shabbos morning so was often not usable? Well, I invented something for myself. Take the deep 9x13 pan and fill it with boiling water before Shabbos, then cover tightly with a lid. Set it on your blech so it is gently bubbling. You can place anything on top of it without worry. You can use the pan for several weeks without worry. Good luck!

Do you have a small blech, 9x13 size? Could I get a double size pan with lid? One burner or two?
This is intriguing.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:45 am
Tzippy323 wrote:
I am so glad I can share this! I was thinking about ways that I could use my Corning Ware and Pyrex. I came up with a solution. Do you remember the water blech that used to boil out before Shabbos morning so was often not usable? Well, I invented something for myself. Take the deep 9x13 pan and fill it with boiling water before Shabbos, then cover tightly with a lid. Set it on your blech so it is gently bubbling. You can place anything on top of it without worry. You can use the pan for several weeks without worry. Good luck!

I used to do that, but with a steam table pan filled with water. It works very well and you can use the hot water if your urn runs low.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:05 pm
Why can't you use your regular stainless steel or whatever cooking pots? I don't use special pans for the blech. I use my ordinary cooking pots and transfer the food to serving platters to go on the table.

Tzippy323

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:13 pm
I have a half blech covering 2 burners ( front and back). I leave the front flame on and that is where I put the pan with the water. Everything can go on top of it, even stacked, although if you have a lot, I would put a double cover on the pan. The back of the blech gets hot and if you want to put something dry, like potato kugel on it, depending how hot it gets, you might be able to do it.

Learning

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:40 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:
I have a half blech covering 2 burners ( front and back). I leave the front flame on and that is where I put the pan with the water. Everything can go on top of it, even stacked, although if you have a lot, I would put a double cover on the pan. The back of the blech gets hot and if you want to put something dry, like potato kugel on it, depending how hot it gets, you might be able to do it.

I would be scared to leave boiling water on a blech in case someone bumps into it c’v. Sometimes I use a pan upside down on the plata and put the Pyrex or pots on top of it if I don’t want it to be very hot. I have a plata and I use Pyrex all the time. Pyrex supposed to go inside the oven for baking so why won’t it be ok on the plata. It is very convenient because sometimes I just take the Pyrex from the fridge to the plata and than straight to the table. After Shabbos I put the Pyrex in the dishwasher or later on during the week if I still use the container. I just bought a box of Pyrex with lids from Costco since my old ones had lids that didn’t close so easily.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen