Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What names are common?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 9:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wonder if you teach in an older grade at a newer school and have many students named Tehila Mindel, Tehila Breindel etc that go by Tehila .

The only people I know named Tehila or Ahuva are like this. Do you teach in one of the less yeshivish schools ? Can’t imagine a class full of a Tehilas and Ahuvas at Bnos Melech.

You will find these in meoros, bnos brachs, moreshes, nachlas etc... Wink

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wonder if you teach in an older grade at a newer school and have many students named Tehila Mindel, Tehila Breindel etc that go by Tehila .

The only people I know named Tehila or Ahuva are like this. Do you teach in one of the less yeshivish schools ? Can’t imagine a class full of a Tehilas and Ahuvas at Bnos Melech.

You picked the most yeshivish school in Lakewood...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:06 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I don't teach these are the names in my kid's schools and in my neighborhood. None of them have second names.

Interesting . My block has multiple Fraidys and Shaynas and no Tehila or Ahuva or anything in that style. I do live in a more yeshivish area but lots of young families so most are family names. We have a few unusual yiddish names that if I list here, my neighbors would realize Smile

I will say that the Ahuvas I know for example with second names go by Ahuva. I know they have second names bc I asked Smile I found it to be a trend so I asked a few girls and found it to be true.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:07 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
You picked the most yeshivish school in Lakewood...

Yes, that was intentional..:

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:12 pm
Very yeshivish stick to traditional and ancestors, that's why I said I was jpf I wouldn't call myself or the people I'm talking about yeshivish.

bestrong1

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 11:35 pm
Avigail for girls and Asher for boys

dankbar

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 2:11 am
In my dgtrs preschool, I looked at list, in this order, Sarah, Chaya, Rivka, Esther, Faigy.

Brooklyn, Chassidish.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 4:13 am
I love Liba and Mushka but my community only gives Hebrew names.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 4:35 am
I love the names Rina and Deena and Adina but.....I live in bp chasidish..... I’d give a second more common name like Sara or Rivkah or something.

dankbar

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 4:50 am
Dina is used by chassidish too, called Dini

Rabbit613

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 6:59 am
My son has a few Davids and Akivas in his class.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 7:02 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
I love the names Rina and Deena and Adina but.....I live in bp chasidish..... I’d give a second more common name like Sara or Rivkah or something.

Dina is fine in Chassidish circles but ask a rav if you need to add a name since it is a lashon din.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 8:02 am
Israeli Charedi here. Noa and Tamar are super common, as are Tehila, Efrat, Michal etc.
Gitty, Shaindy not done at all, maybe just chasiddim, of course there still are Sara, Rivka etc. But majority go for the newer names and I have even heard Adi for a few kids, alot of the more Dati Leumi names moved over to the Israeli Charedim.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 8:26 am
Another Israeli chareidi and I agree with the above. I just posted real names from my girls' Beis Yaakov classes on the other thread.
Most common names are:

Yael
Tamar
Ayala
Chani
Sarah

Boys names are usually tanach names, but there are so many nice ones - Yaakov, Daniel, Akiva, Moshe, Tzvi...

keym

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 8:43 am
No the ones you listed are less common. There is one ruchy, one esty etc... but 3 tehillas and 3 ahuvas per class. I don't think I know many raizys, faigys, shaindys etc.. here

I don't know.
My daughter's friends are
Malky
Miri
Rochi
Chayala
Chavi
Rivky
Sori
Leah
Nechama
Hadassa
Gitty
Fraidy
Chani

Typical Lakewood high school.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 8:55 am
These are the most common
Aliza
Ahuva
Ariella
Tehilla
Rachelli
Tamar
Rena

I don't have boys so I don't hear those names as much

Those sound very NJ names to me. The only name on the list that I see people in my community naming is Tamar.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 9:04 am
I’m in Lakewood I don’t know any Tamar Noa or Ariella. I know a few Adina Aliza Rena Gila. I hear tons of Chani Rivky Esti Sara Chayala malky Ahuva Faigy Nechama Batsheva Rachelli Miriam

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 9:28 am
keym wrote:
I don't know.
My daughter's friends are
Malky
Miri
Rochi
Chayala
Chavi
Rivky
Sori
Leah
Nechama
Hadassa
Gitty
Fraidy
Chani

Typical Lakewood high school.

Yes this is my experience too.

Chaya123

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What names are very common in your community?
And are there any names you love but aren’t seen as “normal” in your community, but are totally accepted in other circles ?

Sara
Rivka
Rochel
Leah
Chana
Esther
Devorah
Batsheva

Chaya123

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 11:22 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Israeli Charedi here. Noa and Tamar are super common, as are Tehila, Efrat, Michal etc.
Gitty, Shaindy not done at all, maybe just chasiddim, of course there still are Sara, Rivka etc. But majority go for the newer names and I have even heard Adi for a few kids, alot of the more Dati Leumi names moved over to the Israeli Charedim.

The Hebrew version for Gitty is Tova and Shaindy is Yaffa so those are probably more common in Israel.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names