Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Im new to allergie any help would be appreciated

mom2cuties

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 2:58 pm
Hi, my daughter who is 16 months was having a very hard time with I think the Milk. We were switching her over from the similac to the milk and she was ok until she had 3 ounces of milk she then started making very smelly and liquidy poopy, she also broke out in a rash around her mouth sometimes traveling up to her eyes. We then put her on lactaid she was also doing ok until she got to 4 ounces then again the same thing happened. We put her on to soy but she couldnt handle that either. So right now she is on Rice Dream. Whats really weird to me was that she has like stollen my other daughters yogurt and had like a lick she was ok with that she didnt brake out or anything. But when she stole the leben from my other daughter she broke out on her face and she made poopy soo fast like liquid. Does anyone have any advice for me, or any children that have had t his issue.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 3:08 pm
What I do know about milk allergies and such, is that yogurt is VERY different in terms of allergies. So a baby could be allergic to milk and not as allergic to yogurt, but maybe if they had a lot of it, it could be a problem.

mom2cuties

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 3:10 pm
Mimisinger- Yeah that prob. is right, I try to keep her away from everything that has milk. I never got her allergy tested, thats why I am asking. Thank you for responding to me

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 3:15 pm
No prob. it's the cultures in the yogurt that defines the change. Also, it might be that your baby is allergic to milk but it could be just because her stomach is not developed enough yet. Or, she could be allergic and grow out of it like my dh did. He was allergic to wheat, eggs, milk, soy, everything and grew out of it. Now, he's only allergic to all nuts and seeds, but that's way better than dairy.

momluv

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 4:11 pm
take him to an allergist and have him tested to see if it's allergies or intolerance. the allergist will be able to tell you how allergic she is. I tried getting my ds onto milk formula at 3 months old. he had such an outbreak, my heart....well we won't discuss it. since then I test him for anything new before trying. he is allergic to anything containing dairy, eggs, almonds, strawberries. I still have a list of 6 things to test him for that I'm quite positive he is allergic to like rye, garlic, tomatoes, etc. it's nervewracking but his allergies are too severe to play around with it.

apple24

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 4:24 pm
it could be the lactose that your child is allergic to, and not the milk. Try lactaid milk and see if that helps (I have a daughter with A LOT of allergies, so we have experience with this)

qeenB

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 5:18 pm
a very good substitute I found to replace milk and soy milk is oat milk. it has as much protein as soy and fiber. rice milk does not realy have any nutritional value. a company called pacific makes it. it doesnt taste bad once you get used to the taste. of course milk is better but it sounds like your child can definitly not tolerate it.

mom2cuties

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 7:57 pm
I have tried lactade and when we got to 4 ounces of it she couldnt handle it. Can you tell me what exactly the allergist does for some reason I am so afraid to take her, I just keep her away from things that I see bother her. How much blood do they take, I looked at her arm and its sooo hard to see her veins, I'm so afraid that they wont get it on the first try and keep pricking her. Thank you

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:16 pm
[quote="mom2cuties"]I have tried lactade and when we got to 4 ounces of it she couldnt handle it. Can you tell me what exactly the allergist does for some reason I am so afraid to take her, I just keep her away from things that I see bother her. How much blood do they take, I looked at her arm and its sooo hard to see her veins, I'm so afraid that they wont get it on the first try and keep pricking her. Thank you[/quote

You should definitely take her to an allergist. It's just a pinprick test, they don't need a vein or anything- they jsut need to draw a tiny bit of blood. They just need the "allergen" to get under the skin to see if there is a reaction. You might need an epipen or something like that - allergies sometimes get worse over time. It doesn't hurt to talk to an allergist.

momluv

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:23 pm
it's called a scratch test. like "only1" says, they put a tiny amount of the suspected allergen (in your case it's milk) onto the skin of the arm and he sort of gives a tiny prick (like a scratch) so the allergen enters the bloodstream and if the skin reacts underneath by blowing up a little you know that he/she is allergic to it. it's easy and they can test a few allergens that way.

cip

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 11:37 pm
another way to test for allergies is through a bicom machine. no blood test involved. google it or pm me.

mom2cuties

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 9:05 am
Thank you, to everyone who posted back to me about your ideas, I will be seeing my doctor in a few weeks and I will be discussing all of this with him. I will keep you all updated. Thank you so much

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Jan 11 2008, 9:29 am
btw, dh has been tested for allergies a few times - because they change as you grow older. For him, they did a grid on his back. It doesn't hurt...

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Feb 14 2008, 10:28 pm
yentagolda, the prick test.sractch test doesn't enter the blood stream, it's subdermal (beneath the skin) but doesn't peirce all the way through to get to the blood stream. It is safer that way (Ch"V"Sh introducing an allergen into the blood stream can cause a severe reaction).

Also, like the poster who mentioned getting tested again and again, my dh, ds, and dd all get etsted regularly to see the progression of allergies.

re: Lactaid, lactaid will only work if a person has a lactose intollernace or sensitivity, it will not work on allergies. Please be very careful what you try without Md guidance.

Rice milk has little nutritional value, but works well as a dairy substitute when you can't use soy and the enrsiched formulas do provide Vit D and Calcium. Also, the Oat milk is not bad (my kids weren't big fans, but they enjoy rice milk) - also, fyi, some rice milk has glutten in it (from barley) and some have sunflower oil, beware if you have multiple allergies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics