Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Now is the time to start practicing

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 10:32 am
For those who want to bring their toddlers and infants to Megillah.
Now Is the time to start practicing with your child. Every day at random times. Make them sit next to you and stay quiet without moving for 45 minutes to an hour. (Depending on your minyan)
It’s best to have him/her overstimulated, and with a bag of nosh.
If they learn to do it by the time Purim comes around then go ahead and take the risk.

Otherwise KEEP YOUR KIDS HOME! Take turnswith someone, or go to a kids minyan!

Thank you!

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 10:40 am
Wow.
How about just say,
DON'T BRING LITTLE BABIES AND KIDS TO SHUL!!!!
There are ladies' lainings for a reason!

My kids can go when they can sit and not need to motion of whisper for 45 minutes (btw, ladies' lainings are usually closer to 40 minutes), which for my kids is around age 6, but it depends on the kid.

Doodlesmom, go to a quiet women's laining where the most haman hitting you'll get is tapping of the toes Smile
Let the others go to your noisy shul with infants, and let the people there wonder if they were yotzei the mitzvah or not, and have to go to a second laining.;(

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 10:45 am
The reason I’m being specific, is because when I meet those kids in shul the mother’s are always wrongly assuming that their kids are fine.....
And I always wonder if they tried it at home to be so sure.....

nchr

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 10:51 am
Are you serious? Even I find this to be an odd thread. My children can sit quietly and are practicing doing so in school and cheder, by the seuda, when others are talking, etc. That being said, we still don't go to shul on Purim anyways and hear the megilla at home.

Randomly forcing your child to be quiet for 45 minutes at a time qhile overstimulating them sounds bizarre and I advocate teaching children to be quiet and patient.

doodlesmom

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 10:53 am
nchr wrote:
Are you serious? Even I find this to be an odd thread. My children can sit quietly and are practicing doing so in school and cheder, by the seuda, when others are talking, etc. That being said, we still don't go to shul on Purim anyways and hear the megilla at home.

Randomly forcing your child to be quiet for 45 minutes at a time qhile overstimulating them sounds bizarre and I advocate teaching children to be quiet and patient.

No I’m not serious! Obviously!
(And I’m referring to non school aged kids)

nchr

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 10:55 am
doodlesmom wrote:
No I’m not serious! Obviously!
(And I’m referring to non school aged kids)

I'm sorry I took it literally. My children and my mothers children can sit quietly like that from around age 2 but it's just a nature not something practicing for a day or two can fix. Sorry for being so flat here haha.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 10:56 am
[quote=

Doodlesmom, go to a quiet women's laining where the most haman hitting you'll get is tapping of the toes Smile
Let the others go to your noisy shul with infants, and let the people there wonder if they were yotzei the mitzvah or not, and have to go to a second laining.;([/quote]

There’s a Big difference between noises from graggers and from children who don’t belong in shul.

tp3

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 11:01 am
I thought we would be practicing making crazy loud noises randomly to get the babies used to it and not startle in shul. Smile

zaq

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:44 pm
I thought it was going to be practicing leining.

keym

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:47 pm
Id rather practice drinking.

imasinger

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:48 pm
I actually teach this in preschool music classes. We take graggers, and practice, using this song:

TTO Dreidel song:

I have a little gragger among my games and toys
And when I go to shake it, it makes a lot of noise (shake).

My gragger likes Queen Esther, it likes good Mordechai,
It listens to the story as quietly as I.

But if you mention Haman (shake), it makes an awful sound
So don't you mention Haman (shake) when my gragger is around.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 1:02 pm
I thought you meant practicing how to get drunk on sugar and overstimulated by the crazy schedule. I was about to nibble on licorice and then spill kool aid over the kitchen table and chairs. Your title is deceiving!!

zaq

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 1:33 pm
imasinger wrote:
I actually teach this in preschool music classes. We take graggers, and practice, using this song:

TTO Dreidel song:

I have a little gragger among my games and toys
And when I go to shake it, it makes a lot of noise (shake).

My gragger likes Queen Esther, it likes good Mordechai,
It listens to the story as quietly as I.

But if you mention Haman (shake), it makes an awful sound
So don't you mention Haman (shake) when my gragger is around.

I like it--and I like that it uses proper gragger...I mean grammar! (See bolded)

ddmom

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 2:44 pm
LOL op I think it was a great way to bring up the topic!! Great sense of humor!!
Obviously mothers that bring their kids to shul will find it offensive because they think it's totally fine and their kids don't make any noise!!!
I once sent to shul for parashas zachor and right next to me was a very cute smiley baby blabbering (baba,dada,baba,dada....) the whole time, mother was oblivious but it was very bothering!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics