Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Lets get Organized -support group
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:16 pm
Ok. This is for people who need help getting their space in order. If you are like me, (have way too much stuff, your house looks like a hurricane hit, you feel dragged down by the mess, can't throw away "good" stuff etc.), this support group is for you!

Here's how it works:
Each day you need to do 2 things:
1. Throw away 10 things that are broken, useless or not worth keeping.
2. Clear a specific area in the house. Each day this task will change. I will post the area the night before.

When you are done, come back here and tell us that you have done it.

Hopefully, we can all help each other get to the Pesach seder feeling a bit more b'seder.
Who's in??
Very Happy

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:21 pm
I came here thinking I could always improve but.....10 broken things per day? Wow, I hope you find your people and support each other and get stuff done. I can't imagine having that much broken stuff cluttering my place up. This group is too....remedial?... for me. Best wishes! It's a good goal to make.

SingALong

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:25 pm
I’m all in but on a lesser scale. I think I can do 3 things to throw away per day and maybe 2 areas to clear per week.

When I did Marie Kondo 2 years ago I did it at that pace. It took 6 months but was much less overwhelming. I didn’t ever get to my garage or my pictures. Maybe after Pesach....

Even though I did a huge overhaul then, I still need maintenance. It’s scary how quickly the clutter can build up.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:27 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I came here thinking I could always improve but.....10 broken things per day? Wow, I hope you find your people and support each other and get stuff done. I can't imagine having that much broken stuff cluttering my place up. This group is too....remedial?... for me. Best wishes! It's a good goal to make.

Ok. So how about get rid of any ten things? In the other thread, someone said get rid of 50%of your stuff. She said we are messy because we have too much stuff. It can include old magazine you are holding onto, torn books, shoes and clothes you don't wear anymore, kids clothes that are faded or stained, nicknacks you dont like, baby paraphernalia that your baby grew out of, things that don't work as well as they are supposed to so they are just sitting around...
Does that make more sense?

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:39 pm
I struggle with this.
Cleaned under my basement steps for pesach

Put back:
My DH’s record collection (and digital record player)
Old ice skates
Old suitcases

My grandmothers’:
5 lb challah bowl
Recipe book
Potato ricer
Silver plated candy tray

My husband’s grandparents:
Old mismatched dishes set - mainly teacups
Mismatched cutlery set
Manual hair cutter tool (before trimmers)
Silver plated sandwich tongs

It’s also stuffed with lots more things.

At least I threw out;
Nursing pump
Box of old phones
Box of old books
Stand of monitor screwed into the wall.

Gave away 2 wedding presents we got 15 yrs ago and never used.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:47 pm
I have that much decluttering to do. I'm in!

dankbar

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:13 pm
Yay for me!

Cut all baby onesies, that were stained & didn't come out after soaking/spraying/washing, of all sizes & genders, into shmattes. Very good for silver.

Sent out all worn out baby stretchies & only storaged the good ones.

Dumped my clothing that were stained that were still sitting in a box, from last year, waiting for me to magically de-stain them, tried but didn't work, so into the garbage they went.
The worn out robe tops/tshirts/velour tops, I hung onto hook in laundry closet for cleaning, so that they are not among my reg clothes so I shouldn't confuse them to wear outdoors.
Worn out receiving blankets I put into doll box.
Sorted out from doll clothes box, all stretchies that I dumped there, that didn't fit for the dolls, gave away, & only kept the premie/newborn/0 mos ones that fit the dolls.
Dismantled couple of boxes piled up in boys room. It included:
Craft supplies that I bought for Corona lockdown home daycamp, made place for them in craft closet, by emptying one plastic drawer of coloring books, and loading it with assorted supplies. Outdoor toys to basement storage.
Little toys where they belong. Broken stuff out. New toys gifted, were put on top shelf of toy closet to use for later date. Doubles of new games gifted, put aside to regift.
Pulled out from storage, 2 shoe bags I used 20 years ago in bungalow colony. Hung in my coat closet, one for outgrown shoes in good condition to pass down & other for odds & ends like scotch tape, scissors etc.

Last edited by dankbar on Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

dankbar

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:24 pm
Rose, mismatched dishes & cutlery you can give to your cleaning lady. Mine just showed me, her treasure she received from another Jewish lady today, used dishes set.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:28 pm
dankbar wrote:
Rose, mismatched dishes & cutlery you can give to your cleaning lady. Mine just showed me, her treasure she received from another Jewish lady today, used dishes set.

My DH will never part with them.
Once found a women who needed pesach dishes and convinced him to give the pesach ones up bec it’s a chessed.
But unless someone is desperate for tea cups and it’s a chessed they will stay with us to 120.

dankbar

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:29 pm
Do you use them or it's just sentimental?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 8:50 pm
I'm in!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 9:51 pm
I would love to join, but I am not consistent enough to do anything every day.

I am on a roll right now from the past week though! I cleaned out a closet that has been so overstuffed for years that my kids didn't recognize the floor, my son's bedroom that was so bad he was sleeping somewhere else, and donated about 10 big garbage bags of clothes. I organized the baby clothes that were upstairs into labeled tubs and even did some laundry!

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 9:53 pm
dankbar wrote:
Do you use them or it's just sentimental?

It’s been in the same box15 years under the same staircase.
All my grandmother stuff also. Can’t get rid of it. But don’t need it.

dankbar

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
It’s been in the same box15 years under the same staircase.
All my grandmother stuff also. Can’t get rid of it. But don’t need it.

Your grandparents are still alive or not?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:26 am
I agree with dankbar. Give those tea cups away.
Oh by the way, I have a box of teacups in my house as well! None of us drinks tea! I have a set from my grandmother and and I have more that matches my shabbos dishes.

So tomorrow my plan is to clean out the front closet. You are all welcome to join me in cleaning out your front closets and post it here when you are done!
Lets do this!

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:29 am
dankbar wrote:
Your grandparents are still alive or not?

Mine yes. His not.
I have soooo many sentimental things we can’t part with and no space.

momof2+?

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 1:02 am

The op clearly stated who this thread is for. I don’t think it is nice to jump right into the thread and put down the houses and efforts and of these women. Good for you that your house doesn’t look like a hurricane hit. These women need encouragement, not made to feel worse about how their homes look.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 1:44 am
im in for four garbage bags of clutter daily LOL LOL LOL

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 2:41 am
Can I suggest doing this after Pesach, and not before? Getting ready for yom tov is a job in itself. Cleaning out closets, as noble an undertaking as that may be, isn't Pesach cleaning and just takes time from what actually has to be done.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 7:25 am

It includes useless or cluttering.
So if I'm putting away my kids' laundry and I see a severely stained shirt or something in my fridge that my family is just not eating or books or toys that aren't used, I'd include that.

Before this thread started, yesterday I threw out (none of my kids are around, right? 👀 ) some older crafts they made that were yom tov centerpieces once upon a time, ponytail holders that didn't stay in their hair, a white bow that was more gray than white, etc...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics