Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My toddlers nails stopped growing
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 7:34 pm
My toddler turns 4 in a month and a half. I didn't need to cut his nails in almost 2 months. They are very short right now. His hair is growing and he had a wound from falling on the asphalt that healed really quickly so I don't think he lacks keratin. He's taking a multivitamin. His behavior is normal and he seems bright. His brothers' nails grow fast. Did anyone ever have a kid whose nails stopped growing?

cbsp

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 7:36 pm
Is he biting or peeling them off?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 7:37 pm
Yes but only for a week or two when he had a bad virus.

More likely they are growing but he’s biting his nails or filing them down by handling rough materials.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 7:49 pm
I just recently realized that my toddler is biting most of his nails. He’s 4 years old

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 7:55 pm
my 20m baby always had and still has real short nails I never cut them yet

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:09 pm
I haven’t cut my 4 and half year olds nails in a year.
First he started biting them so I applied bad tasting nail polish. He stopped biting and now he’s constantly peeling them. I have no way to stop
Him from doing that.
Maybe that’s what your son is doing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 9:29 pm
OP here. He doesn't bite his nails. Never has. He does play in our yard, but his brothers do that too and they have long nails.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 9:44 pm
My daughter picks her nails when she's alone. I've only caught her a few times. She denies it 100%. A couple of times she let me paint her nails and sure enough, she liked the look and left them alone and her nails grew back. But then she changed her mind about polish and now it's been so many years and they never grow past the nail bed. She has super long hair and is, BH, the healthiest child. She just picks them in secrecy.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 9:46 pm
Just b/c you don't see him bite his nails doesn't mean he doesn't. I knew my dd bit her nails by the way they looked, but I never saw her do it except once when she was in her teens and I saw her fwhoof something out of her mouth.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 10:52 pm
My daughter is 4 and I never cut her nails either! Only my son who is 9 gets his nails trimmed.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 11:28 pm
My 12 year old has been like this for years. He bites his nails. I never see him bite them though. But I know he does. He told me so.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 11:54 pm
OP, do his toenails grow faster than his fingernails? If yes, I second the opinion that he’s either biting them or filing them down in some other way.

Do his nails look unhealthy? Are they brittle? Discolored? Those are some warning signs to look out for.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 12:41 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
OP, do his toenails grow faster than his fingernails? If yes, I second the opinion that he’s either biting them or filing them down in some other way.

Do his nails look unhealthy? Are they brittle? Discolored? Those are some warning signs to look out for.

No his toenails don't grow either but I didn't cut them as short. He's home with me since he was born, he doesn't go to day care and I watch him closely. I would have noticed if he was biting.

His big toe nails had a little dip in them a few months ago but after the vitamins that seems to have disappeared. I had a doctor check his nails in the past but there was never any concern she had.

To clarify, his nails used to grow and I'd cut them once a week or every two weeks, but now it stopped.

He does have a slower metabolism than his brothers. His brothers are lean and have 1-2 bowel movements a day, but he goes every 3 days approximately.

Did anyone have similar experiences?

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 3:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
My toddler turns 4 in a month and a half. I didn't need to cut his nails in almost 2 months. They are very short right now. His hair is growing and he had a wound from falling on the asphalt that healed really quickly so I don't think he lacks keratin. He's taking a multivitamin. His behavior is normal and he seems bright. His brothers' nails grow fast. Did anyone ever have a kid whose nails stopped growing?

Bumping this up…
Op did you ever figure it out?
I just noticed my 3 year old sons nails stopped growing. I used to cut them every other week and they would be nice and long, now it’s been 3 weeks and they haven’t grown one bit since the last time I cut them

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 5:19 pm
I never cut my 2 year olds either, nor his toe nails. They do seem brittle. What could this mean?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 6:22 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Bumping this up…
Op did you ever figure it out?
I just noticed my 3 year old sons nails stopped growing. I used to cut them every other week and they would be nice and long, now it’s been 3 weeks and they haven’t grown one bit since the last time I cut them

I found out he ate them at night lol

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 7:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
I found out he ate them at night lol

Haha. Ok at least nothing was wrong. My kid is only 3 though. Wonder if he’s doing that too

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 7:45 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
I never cut my 2 year olds either, nor his toe nails. They do seem brittle. What could this mean?

Never ever cut since birth?? Normal nails need to be cut every week or two

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 7:50 pm

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 8:07 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Never ever cut since birth?? Normal nails need to be cut every week or two

As a baby they grew, not since he was a few months. My baby is like this as well. I mentioned it to my pediatrician a while back but I guess I should mention it again. It became so normal that I haven’t even realized that it’s been a year and half since I last cut them. Any idea what this can be?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics