Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher food challenge
Previous  1  2

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:49 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Most grocery/supermarket chains in the U.S. will have a kosher aisle (in reality a shelf or 2) where you can buy things like matzoh, jars of gefilte fish, grape juice, and a few other random items. Even in very remote areas.

IME, this works in cities with a moderate Jewish, but not very observant, community. People who will want some Maneschevitz Ashkenazi "soul food" for a holiday or two, but don't keep kosher year-round.

But in areas wirth very few Jews, I wouldn't count on it.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 1:29 am
DrMom wrote:
IME, this works in cities with a moderate Jewish, but not very observant, community. People who will want some Maneschevitz Ashkenazi "soul food" for a holiday or two, but don't keep kosher year-round.

I will echo this. In many very rural areas, you will not find a specific kosher aisle in the supermarket. I would plan on making do with what you can with national brands.

For bread, you could consider doing no-knead / long rise recipes and baking in a toaster oven. You just stir together with a wooden spoon or spatula, let rise in a tupperware or big ziplock in the car all day while you drive, then bake when you arrive. There are also quick options like flatbreads and 30 minute rolls.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 1:36 am
challahchallah wrote:
I will echo this. In many very rural areas, you will not find a specific kosher aisle in the supermarket. I would plan on making do with what you can with national brands.

For bread, you could consider doing no-knead / long rise recipes and baking in a toaster oven. You just stir together with a wooden spoon or spatula, let rise in a tupperware or big ziplock in the car all day while you drive, then bake when you arrive. There are also quick options like flatbreads and 30 minute rolls.

Kosher tortillas or wraps are also a good take-along food staple. They take up very little space and keep well.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 1:43 am
For corn tortilla or tacos you don’t need to worry about pas. Can get that anywhere with hechsherim.

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 3:42 am
wraps are shelf stable and keep well. Also regular sliced bread will keep for a few days. It might go a bit stale but you can toast it. So I would bring that along if space is not an issue.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 8:14 am
DrMom wrote:

Nowadays, they do. I've been to some fairly remote places with no Jewish community at all, and come across this. Like I said, it may only be a shelf but the big chain stores (not a mom and pop) almost always do.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics