Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What new store can Baltimore use?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Apr 30 2021, 5:54 pm
I skimmed through this thread, but as someone who grew up in baltimore and returns very often (Ive lived there much longer than most of you here), I can tell you that Baltimore simply can not support businesses.
My family happens to dress trendily and more in a "Lakewood" style than much of baltimore, and they shop in lakewood and brooklyn. They always lament the lack of well-priced amenities there, just normal furniture, appliances, workers, etc. You will always get a better price and quality at frum stores.
But every store that opens (restaurants especially) just can not survive. There are not enough people there to support. I noticed someone mention sheek clothing store. Have you walked into their store? They stock about one in each size and thats it. Baltimore just cant support businesses.
I am grateful to live in lakewood where my luxury business is easy to maintain and turn a profit.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 10:24 pm
An expert landscaping company.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 11:36 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I skimmed through this thread, but as someone who grew up in baltimore and returns very often (Ive lived there much longer than most of you here), I can tell you that Baltimore simply can not support businesses.
My family happens to dress trendily and more in a "Lakewood" style than much of baltimore, and they shop in lakewood and brooklyn. They always lament the lack of well-priced amenities there, just normal furniture, appliances, workers, etc. You will always get a better price and quality at frum stores.
But every store that opens (restaurants especially) just can not survive. There are not enough people there to support. I noticed someone mention sheek clothing store. Have you walked into their store? They stock about one in each size and thats it. Baltimore just cant support businesses.
I am grateful to live in lakewood where my luxury business is easy to maintain and turn a profit.

This is very true. The reality is, there is a good percentage of Baltimoreans who live simply, not because they specifically choose to, but because they have to. The core of the community is still government employee types, who make a steady wage, enough to live decently and simply, rather than business owners who have the potential to become wealthy. They might splurge every now and then with buying one outfit per season at a frum clothing store or going out to eat, but the majority of their wardrobe comes from stores like Marshall's or TJ Maxx. And their occasional restaurant outings would not be at an expensive upscale place, either. The few expensive restaurants that opened had few customers and eventually went out of business.

amother
Green

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 11:39 pm
To the old time baltimoreans here who are saying Baltimore can't support another business... have you noticed how much the community has grown in the last 5 years? Do you see how the schools are busting at the seems? You are in denial that your little OOT situation is changing. Lakewood started off as a little Torah town also with hardly any businesses. It is huge now. Baltimore is growing alot. There are a lot of transplants that would be happy to support new stores. Of course it could support a new business instead of us having to shlep to Lakewood.

amother
Green

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 11:41 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Shoppers has CY. More expensive than the kosher groceries, but they carry CY milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. They have some heimish bakery brands, too.

Yes. My point was that when shoppers closes down, there wont be anything east of reisterstown rd to get cy milk at. Etc

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 11:47 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
To the old time baltimoreans here who are saying Baltimore can't support another business... have you noticed how much the community has grown in the last 5 years? Do you see how the schools are busting at the seems? You are in denial that your little OOT situation is changing. Lakewood started off as a little Torah town also with hardly any businesses. It is huge now. Baltimore is growing alot. There are a lot of transplants that would be happy to support new stores. Of course it could support a new business instead of us having to shlep to Lakewood.

They weren't enough to support Seasons. The store was always empty when I went there, the salads and prepared food would sit for several days without moving.

And, are all the people moving in wealthy entrepreneur types? Maybe some, but they still are hardly a big percentage.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 11:51 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
This is very true. The reality is, there is a good percentage of Baltimoreans who live simply, not because they specifically choose to, but because they have to. The core of the community is still government employee types, who make a steady wage, enough to live decently and simply, rather than business owners who have the potential to become wealthy. They might splurge every now and then with buying one outfit per season at a frum clothing store or going out to eat, but the majority of their wardrobe comes from stores like Marshall's or TJ Maxx. And their occasional restaurant outings would not be at an expensive upscale place, either. The few expensive restaurants that opened had few customers and eventually went out of business.

Live simply? When houses cost more than 400k? And pickwick rent is 1500 plus? Serengeti pre Covid was very busy, people always ask why there is no place nice to take clients. I think what’s happening is instead of complaining people just go to Lakewood. Either when they’re anyway going or they drive in. I think bingo would do well here.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 11:55 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Did it close because of lack of customers? I always remember it being busy.

I think it closed because seasons all over went bankrupt or something. I think market maven does way more deliveries because the delivery charge is cheaper and they honor sale prices on deliveries and pickups, seven mile has a more expensive delivery/pickup charge and no sale prices for orders.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, May 01 2021, 11:59 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I think it closed because seasons all over went bankrupt or something. I think market maven does way more deliveries because the delivery charge is cheaper and they honor sale prices on deliveries and pickups, seven mile has a more expensive delivery/pickup charge and no sale prices for orders.

Right, the Seasons chain went bankrupt, not just the local one. Perhaps they expanded too quickly.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 12:29 am
Live simply? When houses cost more than 400k? And pickwick rent is 1500 plus? Serengeti pre Covid was very busy, people always ask why there is no place nice to take clients. I think what’s happening is instead of complaining people just go to Lakewood. Either when they’re anyway going or they drive in. I think bingo would do well here.

You know a 400,000.00 house is a joke in “in town” frum communities, or more upscale ones like LA, Chicago, Toronto

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 12:35 am
Quote:

The schools are busting at the seams, but to be honest how many pay full tuition???? I am probably not exaggerating if I say only 40% of the parent body pays full tuition. They are busting because there are only 2 girls' schools and 2-3 boys' schools (depending on the grade). Unlike other communities that have at least a dozen schools.

For those who are begging for Amazing Savings here. There was one here years ago. All the Amazing Savings closed down about 15 years ago. Baltimore never re-opened when they slowly re-opened in NY and NJ. It is a great store, but you need to be centrally located. When Amazing Savings moved further out of the community, to get a bigger storefront and less people shopped there because it was far.

So the question isn't only what type of store/business to open, but also where will you be located.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 12:46 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
You know a 400,000.00 house is a joke in “in town” frum communities, or more upscale ones like LA, Chicago, Toronto

I know. And 400,000 is low. Unless you’re looking in park heights or a semi, a house will be more than that. Baltimore used to be very cheap but not anymore. Beazer can be anywhere from 600-800,000 or more.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 12:48 am

I believe that quote was about Amazing Savings, not Seasons. Yes, the Seasons company expanded too quickly and was struggling. But the Baltimore location was not doing well anyway. I went there frequently on my way home from work, and it was usual to see maybe 3 cars total in the parking lot, and as I mentioned their stuff moved very slowly, except for specific sale items. Sure, they had a delivery van but I rarely saw it driving around town. I knew only one person who used their delivery order, I'm sure there were others but it was not a large amount. Their prices were just too high for what the majority of would be customers were willing/able to pay.

Now, housing prices in certain areas are 400k. But the majority of frum people have been living here longer than the past 5 years and most did not pay those kind of prices. There is still a demand for homes in the less expensive parts of town, plenty live in semi-detached neighborhoods, or are looking for homes there. BTW, Pickwick isn't the only apartment complex where frum people live, either.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 12:55 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Quote:

The schools are busting at the seams, but to be honest how many pay full tuition???? I am probably not exaggerating if I say only 40% of the parent body pays full tuition. They are busting because there are only 2 girls' schools and 2-3 boys' schools (depending on the grade). Unlike other communities that have at least a dozen schools.

For those who are begging for Amazing Savings here. There was one here years ago. All the Amazing Savings closed down about 15 years ago. Baltimore never re-opened when they slowly re-opened in NY and NJ. It is a great store, but you need to be centrally located. When Amazing Savings moved further out of the community, to get a bigger storefront and less people shopped there because it was far.

So the question isn't only what type of store/business to open, but also where will you be located.

Where I remember amazing savings was - today that isn’t “further out”. I remember when it was in the same place as the pikesville post office, in the corner.
A new boys school seems to open every year. And one of the girls schools will only have two classes per grade, if they would open more classes they might get filled or the class sizes would be able to be smaller. The Bais yaakov has many parallel classes but the class sizes are lower.
There are also coed schools - I think Baltimore has three now. Or Chadash, Beth Tefilah, Darchei Noam. And many people homeschool. I hope more than 40% pay full tuition! And there are lots of boys yeshivas for mechina and bais medrash. And one seminary.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 1:02 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I believe that quote was about Amazing Savings, not Seasons. Yes, the Seasons company expanded too quickly and was struggling. But the Baltimore location was not doing well anyway. I went there frequently on my way home from work, and it was usual to see maybe 3 cars total in the parking lot, and as I mentioned their stuff moved very slowly, except for specific sale items. Sure, they had a delivery van but I rarely saw it driving around town. I knew only one person who used their delivery order, I'm sure there were others but it was not a large amount. Their prices were just too high for what the majority of would be customers were willing/able to pay.

Now, housing prices in certain areas are 400k. But the majority of frum people have been living here longer than the past 5 years and most did not pay those kind of prices. There is still a demand for homes in the less expensive parts of town, plenty live in semi-detached neighborhoods, or are looking for homes there. BTW, Pickwick isn't the only apartment complex where frum people live, either.

Pickwick isn’t the only. According to apartments.com cross country is 1066-1605 per month, I can’t find fountain view rent prices online. And county Pickwick is less than city Pickwick and isn’t section 8. Semi detached homes prices have also gone up a lot. And when a street gets popular the prices go way way up.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 1:03 am
I've never been to Baltimore but isn't there a high end children's wear store Belle Bambini in Baltimore? I once discovered it when I was trying to find a specific dress for my dd in a certain size that I saw in my local Brooklyn shop.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 1:10 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I've never been to Baltimore but isn't there a high end children's wear store Belle Bambini in Baltimore? I once discovered it when I was trying to find a specific dress for my dd in a certain size that I saw in my local Brooklyn shop.

Yes

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 7:20 am
Yes

So can't Baltimore handle some high end stores in different industries?

amother
Green

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 7:46 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Quote:

My point about schools was a lot of more kids in Baltimore than there were 10 years ago. Bais yaakov went from 5 to 8 parallel classes. So just because amazing savings closed 15 years ago doesnt mean it wouldnt do super well today.
Also, the man w truck does well enough when he comes in to keep coming every 2 weeks. People are desperate for cheaper clothes that they cant get in Baltimore
Serengeti is a good point. They always look busy to me.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, May 02 2021, 8:20 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Where do u live? I live east of greenspring and very much mind schlepping. If I need CY milk or bread on the quick, right now it entails a minimum of 45 minutes to get it. Unless shoppers has, and they are closing . Is that normal? I think many people in my area agree.
If they could do a Bingo or Kol Save style thing, would be better

Sorry I didn’t reas the whole thread
How about a milk truck that delivers basics. Milk, bread, eggs, etc., No more than 20 items.
Some families can buy a “subscription” and get deliveries every morning or other morning.
I don’t think it’s as expensive as opening a whole store. I guess like the old fashion milk man.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics