Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
If someone tells the same joke over and over
Previous  1  2

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 5:34 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

It can be super annoying to be told things over and over, but you have to be very careful not to embarrass someone. It's a very sensitive fine line to walk, especially with someone who is close to you. Only you can be the best judge of how they will take it.

My grandfather used to tell us the same stories and jokes over and over again.
My mom taught us to listen and nod our heads. And play along with riddles and jokes.
As long as it is not personal, mean or hurtful-
Of course if the statement, comment or joke is hurtful- then tell the person.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:24 am
Some of these jokes really grow on you. Over time and eventually. You may find yourself repeating them as you grow older.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 6:25 am
I genuinely have this issue with DH. it is extremely irritating. I do realize however, it's a family "thing" and more acceptable in his family to make the stupidest (eye rolling, most non funny jokes) over and over and over.... so I try very hard to be tolerant but it is IRRITATING!!!!!!!!!

the only thing is though, people actually like it the first time they hear it and sometimes ppl who meet DH for the first time will think he is super funny. grrrrrrrrr I literally can not tolerate the stupid stupid jokes

BatyaEsther

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 7:06 am
I think she thinks it is a special joke between the two of you. It is a special kesher and your thing. If you don’t have food issues and she is not subtly criticizing you (which it doesn’t sound like to me) just treat it as such.
Mom-that package is missing some.
You-I know, we should take it back to the store... 🤪

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 8:08 am
The kids and I make the same jokes again and again. But we do it on purpose given an opening cue. And we may just say the first two or three words. It's enough to make everyone laugh. Good for family bonding.
Maybe next time your Mom says it smile and kiss her cheek.
We are so used to our parents knowing everything and teaching us. Subtly the roles change and we realize their opinions are not our own, their financial decisions do not work for us and their jokes are not so funny.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 10:52 am
Meh. We have family jokes that are old enough to vote, so what? Get a life.

iyar

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 11:13 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

So do we.
And then some.
Hi

zaq

Post Sun, May 16 2021, 3:37 pm
I would laugh at the smoke alarm joke. Heck, I would crack it myself, being notorious for walking away and forgetting things on the stove. But then I’m able to laugh at myself.

Either dh or I cracked a certain joke a good 35 years ago and repeated it often, hopefully but not necessarily to different audiences. At some point I decided to retire it, but my good friend liked it so much she now repeats it to me!

Big deal. Having to hear the same joke over and over should be your greatest hardship. That’s a blessing, btw. Just wait till you’re old and start asking your dc what their name is forty times an hour and telling them what happened to you in school today, when you left school 50 years before.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 17 2021, 10:43 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

That was uncalled for.

If you read what I wrote I wasn't complaining about it, just asking how to respond.

Why come into a forum called Manners to be rude?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette