Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Are you a person or Jew first?
1  2  Next

GreenEyes26

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:15 pm
I’ve been thinking about this for a few days now, based off some other threads.

Do you consider yourself a PERSON first - for example, my name is Sarah, I love to read and bake and I’m Jewish.

Or, do you consider yourself a JEW first - it being your most defining trait. Example, I’m a Jewish woman named Sarah who loves to read and bake.

I’m going to refrain from posting my opinion on this right away because I’m really curious what different women from different branches of Judaism think - and most importantly, why.

BokerTov

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:17 pm
Definitely “Jewish person”, in that order.

hodeez

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:18 pm
My whole life revolves around Judaism, I wouldn't even know how to separate the two.

liveandlove.ima

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:20 pm
Judaism is what makes me a "person"

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:23 pm
I'm a Jew.

Scotty

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:26 pm
As a teen, Judaism was a side trait.
As an adult (late 30s) my Judaism is my defining trait, my reason for living, the inspiration and comfort and joy and meaning in my life. I could not live without it. I would not tell a gentile “I’m a Jewish woman” out of fear of anti Semitism but mentally it is the central core of my being - without Judaism the “me” that’s left is pitiful and colorless.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:27 pm
Jewish. It's my essence.

lk1234

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 8:27 pm
In davening we say L'Olam Yehei Adam. I once heard a beautiful vort that L'Olam- at all times Yehei Adam - first and foremost be a mentch - a good human being. Then yerei shamayim - the yiddishkeit comes next and always baseiser - hidden, doing good inner work on yourself without the ra ra and other people knowing. If you are a good human being and yerei shamayim in hidden it will be come out begalui.

Turquoise3

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 9:09 pm
OP I'm intrigued by how you mean your question. As in what about other threads prompted this thought?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 9:43 pm
Scotty wrote:
As a teen, Judaism was a side trait.
As an adult (late 30s) my Judaism is my defining trait, my reason for living, the inspiration and comfort and joy and meaning in my life. I could not live without it. I would not tell a gentile “I’m a Jewish woman” out of fear of anti Semitism but mentally it is the central core of my being - without Judaism the “me” that’s left is pitiful and colorless.

Wow. Really?

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 9:43 pm
Theoretically I’d say I’m a Jew first and foremost, but it’s a work in progress to include Hashem in every part of my very physical, human life. It takes a lot of mindfulness and premeditation, which generally are good ways to live your life fully in any case.

gonewiththewind1

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 9:49 pm

Last edited by gonewiththewind1 on Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

iyar

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:05 pm
A Jew first.
That’s who I am.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:15 pm
I'm a Jew first.
This isn't something I'll explain or apologize for.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:18 pm
I'm definitely a Jew first.

When someone asks me "who I am" I don't answer "I am a Jew, my name is xxx" simply because it's SO OBVIOUS, JUST DUH!

liveandlove.ima

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:21 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
I'm definitely a Jew first.

When someone asks me "who I am" I don't answer "I am a Jew, my name is xxx" simply because it's SO OBVIOUS, JUST DUH!

Ye right SN says it all... hehe Very Happy

ibelongtosomebody

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:22 pm
The question is predicated on the assumption that a Jew is just an adjective for person, or a variety of person. So if Jew is on the same level as person, you can debate which comes first in your self identity. But truly, Jew is a whole ‘nother level of creation.
דומם צומח חי מדבר יהודי

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:27 pm
More than a Jew. I'm an orthodox Jew.

Zehava

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:35 pm
I’m human first
At the end of the day, in a zombie apocalypse, natural disaster, if I’m shipwrecked, stuck on a train, trapped in a fire, with a bunch of other people I don’t think our race, ethnicity, color, or religion will matter one bit. We all bleed red and breathe the same oxygen. At the core of our beings we all want the same things.
Yes I am tribalist too. In my day to day life I am proud to be a Jew. In times of crisis, like COVID has shown, I will align with my people.
But if I had to choose one or the other… I am a human being and that’s all.

simba

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 10:39 pm
ibelongtosomebody wrote:
The question is predicated on the assumption that a Jew is just an adjective for person, or a variety of person. So if Jew is on the same level as person, you can debate which comes first in your self identity. But truly, Jew is a whole ‘nother level of creation.
דומם צומח חי מדבר יהודי

This. You are a person that is Jewish.
Jewish describes who you are as a person.
If you were not a person you couldn't be Jewish.

There is no one and nothing that is Jewish that is not a person.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics