Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Ohr Simcha of Englewood
Previous  1  2

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 10:22 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
What kind of boys go there? I live in Teaneck and was wondering.

It’s good boys who have yiras shamayim but not the type to sit and learn all day. The yeshiva slowly helps them appreciate learning and gives the tools they need to be able to learn. They also have a decent English program too. They encourage sports and extra curricular activities. They basically bring out the best in a boy who wants to grow.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 10:34 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Yes
I always say that Hollister should pay them to advertise for them
[b]

That’s too funny!

Do the boys change into t-shirts right after class or do they keep on the white shirt the entire day.
I’m trying to figure out how many to send along.
I keep on updating my son with the info you share and we both appreciate it!!

Do the boys bring along plastic side table or is their Plenty shelving and storage?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 11:00 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
[b]

That’s too funny!

Do the boys change into t-shirts right after class or do they keep on the white shirt the entire day.
I’m trying to figure out how many to send along.
I keep on updating my son with the info you share and we both appreciate it!!

Do the boys bring along plastic side table or is their Plenty shelving and storage?

I had the same questions so I’m happy to answer now!
Some change but others don’t bother since they have to be dressed in white shirt for night Seder and maariv.
They probably dress casual on Sunday afternoon (they are free/ no English). They have a gym and outdoor basketball court so it’s normal to change for that. I know the yeshiva just took the boys on a few summer trips and in my son’s pictures they were all dressed in tees aside for probably 2 boys. The yeshiva will insist that they wear white shirts, jackets and hat for all the minyanim even when they were traveling during the 2 week summer program.
No need to send plastic drawers because they have dressers, closet space (I think) and lockers with shelves. I sent a large plastic storage bin for food items.

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 11:36 pm
I realize this isn't the type of advice the OP is looking for, but let me just say that I deal with the administration there regularly, and they always impress me with their dedication and mentchlikeit.

It's not an ironclad rule, but after having worked with dozens of yeshivas over the past 30 years, I feel safe in saying that when the yeshiva itself tries to consistently behave in a mentchlikeit manner, the boys almost always follow that example.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 11:51 pm
Fox wrote:
I realize this isn't the type of advice the OP is looking for, but let me just say that I deal with the administration there regularly, and they always impress me with their dedication and mentchlikeit.

It's not an ironclad rule, but after having worked with dozens of yeshivas over the past 30 years, I feel safe in saying that when the yeshiva itself tries to consistently behave in a mentchlikeit manner, the boys almost always follow that example.

Love this. Thanks for the reassurance and I am so eager to send my son where they can continuously learn and be their very best in all ways.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 11:55 pm
Thanks oak for the detailed response once again!
I would have had such anxiety sending him not knowing if I sent the right kind for clothing and items for him.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 15 2021, 5:57 am
Thanks oak for the detailed response once again!
I would have had such anxiety sending him not knowing if I sent the right kind for clothing and items for him.

I totally get it. That was me a few years ago.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 9:15 am
I just realized I didn’t get any info in regards to laundry. Do the boys do their own or is their a service at Yeshiva ?
My son would need a lot of training if so !

I’m away on vacation and I’m trying to find black slim casual pants (non dress) do you have a link that you can please send what kind of pants are that style. I’m not near any stores to try on now and I realize they start next wk!!

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Aug 08 2021, 10:09 am
They do their own laundry with quarters. My son didn’t know how to work a machine either. He called me for help and the boys help each other out. They figure it out pretty fast.
They also walk to the dry cleaners.

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Aug 14 2021, 11:03 pm
Do the boys take their white shirts to press or clean? How many do they needs? My son has his shirt ironed for him at hone so how does that work?

Time is coming so close bh. Glad we are up to here with the prep !

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Aug 14 2021, 11:22 pm
Do the boys take their white shirts to press or clean? How many do they needs? My son has his shirt ironed for him at hone so how does that work?

Time is coming so close bh. Glad we are up to here with the prep !

I only bought wrinkle free white shirts. I showed my son how to wash whites using hot water/permanent press setting and explained that they have to go on hangers immediately after the dryer. Maybe some boys send to the cleaners? It’s probably easier to send a steam iron if needed. Or buy wrinkle free in the future since most don’t usually need ironing. If he’s in 9th grade he can come home more often than other grades with his laundry but the boys figure out the laundry situation together and help each other with it in the beginning so don’t worry. I remember my son calling me the first time he did laundry and read me all the choices on the washing machine and I helped him out. He was with a friend and after I explained step by step the first time they knew what to do. I think my son only sends his dress pants and shabbos suit to the cleaners but if sending white shirts works better for you there are no rules.
Much hatzlocha on the first day and getting settled!

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 12:48 am
Thanks oak!!

How many white shirts make sense to send for weekday ?

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 1:05 am
Thanks oak!!

How many white shirts make sense to send for weekday ?

I sent 8 -
They get out very early on Friday (I think 11:30) often they change clothes and can wear the same shirt again on Sunday (they get out early on Sunday too)

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 15 2021, 4:26 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I sent 8 -
They get out very early on Friday (I think 11:30) often they change clothes and can wear the same shirt again on Sunday (they get out early on Sunday too)

Perfect. How would I manage without you?! You have no clue how much easier you made the packing situation for us !!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics