Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Difference between Far Rockaway and 5 Towns?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 10:49 am
Thank you. In neighborhood/friends/lifestyle I feel comfortable with RWMO, but in schools - at least the ones I have seen up to now - RWMO schools are too modern for us.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 12:03 pm
You may be comfortable in shulamit. It’s not really mo although has a Zionism piece. Like they will acknowledge Yom haatzmaut. Bayswater may work for you or rabbi lebowitz shul in north woodmere might be a great fit as well.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 12:05 pm
If RWMO schools were too modern then shulamit is not a good fit. Based on what you describe I think you would be happiest in BBY. But I think at the end of the day not all places will have room for all grades so it will really depend on who is willing to take you.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 1:29 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
If RWMO schools were too modern then shulamit is not a good fit. Based on what you describe I think you would be happiest in BBY. But I think at the end of the day not all places will have room for all grades so it will really depend on who is willing to take you.

I don’t agree. I don’t think bby would be a terrible fit but it sounds like tag or ateres m or maybe shulamit would be better.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 3:24 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

I agree. I send to bby and from my experience big mix but definitely has a larger percentage of the most RW families in the community over tag- a community school- but still a mix

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 3:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Babypink amother from OOT, where did you end up?

I am looking more at girls' schools than boys' and I'm having a hard time telling them apart. HALB is definitely too modern for us but between BBY, TAG, and AM they all seem so overlapping I don't know what to make of it. At first I heard BBY was more yeshivish than TAG, but I know some really yeshivish people sending to TAG. I'm also OK with my kids in either more or less yeshivish - their current school is run by yeshivish people but has a more mixed student body, definitely leaning yeshivish but plenty of JPF. My priority is strong education, strong social-emotional-middos support, and again having nice down to earth people where you don't feel pressure on superficial things.

Based on the last few sentences I think BBY checks those boxes more than others.

amother
Ebony

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 3:44 pm
Regarding schools:

I have nieces in Ateres Miriam and nieces in BBY/TMM. Both sisters seem happy, but I have heard particularly nice things about AM—if you want simple, it sounds like a good fit. My nieces there are not into brands because none of their classmates are. Also, it is a very warm school. My nieces are not “easy” kids (learning issues/ADHD), and the administration and teachers have really gone out of their way to make them feel special and notice their strengths.

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 3:59 pm
I think shulamith or BYAM could be good fits. Also regarding HS, sending your daughter to SKA (which is HALB, but really completely separate gender wise for high school)
Still thinking you should look into west hempstead

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 5:52 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I dont think Far Rockaway or the 5 Towns are particularly low key. You can always get lucky with a good block but you shouldn't expect it. Bayswater is the most low key area you will find locally.

Bayswater is low key

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 6:09 pm
Im a teacher in TAG. Sounds like TAG is way more up your alley than BBY.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Sep 03 2021, 6:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know they're considered more or less the same community but I get the impression that the 5 towns could possibly be more "jappy." But if they basically use the same schools I wonder how much of a difference that makes. Would we need to raise our standard of living or fashion no matter where we move?

Also wondering about differences in housing costs, taxes, etc. Basically please tell me everything I need to know if I'm thinking about moving to that area and not sure exactly where.

Prospective job is located in Far Rockaway so suggestions of "better" ideas farther out are not wanted at this time. It's either Far Rockaway or the next-closest thing which is 5 towns. Queens could work too but I suspect it's prohibitively more expensive.

FR is quite different than 5T. FR for the most part is more right wing than most of 5 T, more down to earth, less showy and stuck up, and less into the money… as a whole, not for every single person.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating