Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Chili Rellenos

mimivan

Post Mon, Feb 04 2008, 4:32 pm
Since peppers have been mentioned so often on Imamother today and since I am still on my Mexican food kick, How about chili rellenos (mexican stuffed peppers with a cheesy filling)?

This is a variation of a recipe I found in better homes and gardens cookbook.

Note: the recipe says to cook the pepper with the mixture for just 15 minutes. That is fine if you like firm peppers. But my husband and I like soft, almost roasted-style peppers. So I would pre-cook the peppers for as long as you like until they are the desired consistency.

Take 3 or 4 peppers (the recipe called for green, but we used various colors and it was fine) and cut them lengthwise, removing seeds and the insides.

Arrange them on a greased baking dish. Fill them half full with mild cheddar or another kind of yellow cheese of your choice.

then mix:
4 eggs beaten(I used 3 eggs and replaced the equivalent amount of liquid with milk)
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1//2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Once this is mixed, pour a bit into each pepper until it reaches the top. Bake the peppers at 450 for 15 minutes. Top with more cheese if desired (the recipe called for an additional cup of cheese to sprinkle over. I personally don't think it needs more cheese...from a calorie and a cost point of view--cheese is expensive in E.Y...but if you like cheesy add more)

Top with salsa.
You may also like to add dolllops of sour cream or white soft Israeli cheese, olives, cilantro...whatever

Mommish

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 10:22 am
Thank you! Sounds delicious. I'm going to try it this week I"YH.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals