Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Hives from the cold- urticaria- info please!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 10:37 am
Hi,
My 3 year old son has had hives past 2 days on hands, feet, face etc. I had this with my now 5 year old son last year and was told it seems like urticaria- hives from the cold. We give benadryl/zyrtec and that does help. I remember with my other son it would happen randomly over the winter season and first came at the beginning of the season like this. It's interesting that it hasn't happened again yet this year for my older son. Does anyone have information or experience with this condition/ know about it running in families/ and if it's an indicator of anything else?
Thanks in advance

amother
DarkPurple

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 10:38 am
Look into mast cell disorders

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 10:43 am
I'm scared... waiting for others to chime in. I guess I will discuss these things with my kids' doctor. I can also say I feel like we get sick all the time, like consistently have colds etc. If anyone else has any experience/ info I would appreciate it.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm scared... waiting for others to chime in. I guess I will discuss these things with my kids' doctor. I can also say I feel like we get sick all the time, like consistently have colds etc. If anyone else has any experience/ info I would appreciate it.
Its not a “scary” thing usually, just means your child has a dysregulated immune system that overreacts to benign things and may under react to actual threats like viruses.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 10:47 am
Thank you for posting again to give some more info Heart I appreciate it

Helenk

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 10:53 am
My daughter had this too. From about age 2-3 she would get urticaria (which is, incidentally the scientific name for ANY hives, not specifically from cold) from a few foods and the cold. As she grew, the food sensitivities faded, and only urticaria from cold remained. We would treat it with Allegra every morning before she left the house. She is now 14 and has basically outgrown it. From time to time she’ll get a mild outbreak, but it barely bothers her anymore. I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about. My allergist was not very worried.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 11:06 am
As long as the cause isn't serious you should try homeopathic medicine. My kids get all kinds of strange skin reactions and often nothing works and the antihistamines make them drowsy. The homeopathic things they've used have been so effective. In general regular doctors and I'm not into homeopathic and other natural remedies.

amother
Phlox

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 11:14 am
I have it and 2 of my kids have it. Its not really scary, if it bothers them you can give antihistamine. Otherwise, relax, it's not a big deal.

Assuming they have no other symptoms of immune system disorder.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 11:47 am
Thank you all for your answers. What would be other symptoms of an immune system disorder? My kids and I do get colds very easily... but I don't know if that's a symptom?

miami85

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 11:58 am
I have chronic idiopathic urticaria--which means hives for no reason, I've been told it's likely a mast cell disorder. Came on rather randomly a few years ago and I take Zyrtec daily for it and if I don't I just get very itchy and before I know it I have hives. Sometimes I can go a day or two without taking the medicine.

It's not considered dangerous or a sign of anything that we've noticed so far so we often call them my "idiotic pathetic hives".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics