Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is this disrespectful on Zoom?

torquoise

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 7:16 pm
There is a weekly shiur on zoom, given by a Rav of a shul in our community, which I enjoy listening to. As many speakers do, he encourages people to turn on their video, so he's not talking to a bunch of blank screens.
I would turn it on, but I am always doing something while listening to the shiur - cooking, cleaning the kitchen, or doing a color by number on my phone. The other women who turn on their video are sitting ever so calmly and patiently looking at the screen the whole time.
Should I turn on my video, even if I'm doing something like peeling vegetables, washing dishes or playing on my phone? Or would that be disrespectful? Lack of privacy? All thoughts welcome.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 7:19 pm
torquoise wrote:
There is a weekly shiur on zoom, given by a Rav of a shul in our community, which I enjoy listening to. As many speakers do, he encourages people to turn on their video, so he's not talking to a bunch of blank screens.
I would turn it on, but I am always doing something while listening to the shiur - cooking, cleaning the kitchen, or doing a color by number on my phone. The other women who turn on their video are sitting ever so calmly and patiently looking at the screen the whole time.
Should I turn on my video, even if I'm doing something like peeling vegetables, washing dishes or playing on my phone? Or would that be disrespectful? Lack of privacy? All thoughts welcome.

I would not turn on the video unless I was sitting in front of the screen, and looking the part of sitting and paying attention.
Dont think its respectful otherwise...I would keep the screen off and continue on

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 7:20 pm
Switch on the camera for the first few minutes, and sit and watch the shiur. Then switch off the camera and get on with your with whatever you need to do while you listen. Put a picture of yourself on the screen when the camera is off.

torquoise

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 7:23 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Switch on the camera for the first few minutes, and sit and watch the shiur. Then switch off the camera and get on with your with whatever you need to do while you listen. Put a picture of yourself on the screen when the camera is off.

LOL love this idea!!
Think they'll catch on? I guess even if they do, it's better than a blank screen

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 7:27 pm
torquoise wrote:
LOL love this idea!!
Think they'll catch on? I guess even if they do, it's better than a blank screen

There's a way to set it as your screen instead of your initials. It's considered very normal in the my company to have a picture there instead of your initials when your camera is off.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 7:30 pm
torquoise wrote:

I think it's very disrespectful
better to keep ur video off

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 7:57 pm
torquoise wrote:
LOL love this idea!!

It's not meant to fool anyone.

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 9:23 pm
torquoise wrote:

Yes it’s disrespectful.

twizzlers1

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 11:04 pm
You should definitely turn your video off. But sometimes I have done this as well. I find myself double checking to make sure that my video did not get turned on accidentally.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 12:01 am
Knitting or eating I wouldn’t think is a big deal. Doing dishes or other chores I would just turn the screen off.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 1:57 am
I would turn it on when possible. I don't think people can see if you are doing colour by number on your phone. When I give a class I don't mind if people have their camera off some of the time, but not all the time.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 4:08 am
Im not sure if its disrespectful but I think it would be very distracting for the speaker and other participants.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 4:13 am
I try to be on at the beginning and the end. If I'm up and about, I turn my video off. (I often put a wireless earbud in and am running around at some point dealing with laundry or food or this or that.) I'm a mom and I'm going to play that card if challenged. Smile

torquoise

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 5:10 am
Thanks everyone for all the advice and suggestions.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 6:05 am
I'm one of those people who often have my camera off, for all those reasons. Sometimes I'm in an area of the house that's not for prime time.
Another suggestion: as it's winding down, have a nice thank you comment in the chat that you can send off at the end.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 6:17 am
I honestly find it distracting for many people to have their cameras on when one person is presenting something, like a shiur. I would only turn video on if it was a group conversation.

I think you should just leave the camera off.

singleagain

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 6:34 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I honestly find it distracting for many people to have their cameras on when one person is presenting something, like a shiur. I would only turn video on if it was a group conversation.

I think you should just leave the camera off.

You can switch view to speaker view and pin the speaker so the video didn't switch.

It's a bit easier than asking everyone to turn off their camera

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 5:51 pm
I'd leace the camera off
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette