Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Pets
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 8:29 am
My parents used to have a cat but my dad became allergic. All my pets (fish, turtles, frogs... don't ask, it was trendy) died years ago. My grandparents have dogs and cats.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 8:32 am
We had a dog when I was growing up. My mother always wanted a dog, so her parents told her when she gets married she can do whatever she wants. It was good my father was willing. My sister found her on the street and we called her blite (black and white). She was a mutt and we had her for about 9-10 years and then we had to put her to sleep because she was very sick. My sister was devastated. In my neighborhood it wasn't the norm, but it was a fantastic neighborhood, so nobody looked at us weird, I think.
My husbands boss wanted to buy me a present to apologize for taking him away for work or something like that, so he bought me 2 parakeets. Never buy someone live animals unless you know they want it. We ate them for supper one night. Twisted Evil

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 8:35 am
Just kidding Smile , we kept them for awhile and then gave them to my parents.
My daughter wants a dog, but my other kids are petrified of them and I think kids are enough to watch and take care of.

happyone

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 8:54 am
trafficgal wrote:
any one have pets? (kids dont count even though my mother always said we were her monkeys)

I have
a horse
a bird (parrot)
and a fish

a horse? Good for you! You must not live in NY Smile

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 9:02 am
We have a dog, his pic is in the animal pics thread.

trafficgal

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 10:44 am
happyone wrote:
trafficgal wrote:
any one have pets? (kids dont count even though my mother always said we were her monkeys)

I have
a horse
a bird (parrot)
and a fish

a horse? Good for you! You must not live in NY Smile

what you didnt see me riding down Kingston Av. yesterday ;-)

jk yeah I live out of town Smile

RE buying live gifts... yeah that was pretty dumb of him

flowerpower

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 11:21 am
we have boys

we tried fish twice, once bec ds had sleeping issues so we tried out a fish tank(and he thought it was water play instead-see pic) the next time I bought home goldfish from a carnival for a tryout ds took a toy hammer and banged the whole bag until they looked like crumbs

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 11:25 am
my dd has 2 kittens ... rescued by her ... nurtured by me ... What

tovasmom

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 4:51 pm
We have one psychotic persian cat, and the tropical fish come and go Sad

Hadassa Avra

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 6:08 pm
We got some fish in Jan. So far we have lost a sucker (less than 1 day) and a couple tetras (one jumped from the bowl we put them in while cleaning the tank).

Growing up on a farm we always had a dog and loads of barn cats. We even had an indoor cat on two occassions. No, we didn't consider the pigs pets. Wink Rolling Eyes

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 6:23 pm
tovasmom wrote:

Think the cat and fish aren't a good match ?

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 7:24 pm
tovasmom wrote:

for some reason I have this picture in my head of a cat with a fishing pole and a mischeivous face ... Twisted Evil Nervous standing over the fish tank ... What

myfriends715

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 9:06 pm
does a DH count... lol jk

no pets

Chocoholic

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 10:20 pm
I used to have many pets growing up - but we always wanted a dog and were never allowed to. My DH grew up with a dog (bh its sill alive, its very cute).

At this moment I only have one pet: DH (but he needs way more care than a regular pet).

tovasmom

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 12:04 am
The cat lives in constant conflict. His need to get to the fish is outweighed by his aversion to getting wet. And like most adult male persians, he is too lazy to figure out a way to the fish without getting wet. But he does sit watching them for hours, going back and forth.... back and forth...

Squash

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 12:08 am
sleepless-n-ny wrote:
we have boys

lol.

so do we. and a girl. bH.

I really dislike animals.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:26 am
Well, we really want a dog. Really really. But we arent allowed to have one in our apt. So - to try to appease the need.... we have a cockatiel, 6 or 7 finches, we had two huge turtles, but they were too wild - they would bang their shells on the tank when they were hungry!! We had two frogs that we had to feed live crickets to. and a bunch of fish..

GAMZu

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 4:02 am
Pets have always been my (very) soft spot.
I had a hamster when I was 3 or 4. Then I had a rooster when I was 10 (in a 1 bedroom NY apt.) We raised him from a chick. Oh, how I miss him! I loved him so much.
Then on my 11th birthday my friend got me 2 hamsters. Eventually they became 12 hamsters. Wink
When I was about 14 I got some fish.
When I was 15 someone got me a salamander! shock I cultivated fruit flies to feed them to the salamander, but he wasn't interested. So I raised the fruit flies anyway and just got the salamander some freeze dried blood worms.
Unfortunately I don't have pics of any of those pets besides the rooster, which I will proudly post once I get them scanned.

That was all before I got married. Smile

During my first year of marriage, I found a pigeon sitting in a puddle, with a broken leg. Of course I took him home LOL I washed him and set his leg on a popsicle stick and bandage. Then I got to calling all the vets in the phone book to see if they would treat him for free. I finally found one who would do it for $20. So I took the pigeon to work with me and then to the vet afterwards.
The vet set his leg better, but said it already healed wrong, and there was nothing to do besides break it again (OUCHHH). I said no thanks, so he just set it to help it heal faster.

Eventually he healed. His feathers became smoother and shinier. He was so cute, a really fun personality! Once he warmed up to us, we would find him snuggling to sleep on our pillows. Many times he fell asleep on my lap while I prepared tomorrow's lessons for teaching. Smile

When the weather got warmer, he began collecting branches from our shabbos flowers. LOL We knew we couldn't keep him forever, so that was our sign to let him loose. How I cried that day! (Yeah, I got attached...)

This was our first beta.

This was our second beta.

Then we found a fish tank that someone threw out, with FISH in it! Swimming in 4 inches of murky water. We rescued them, but they didn't survive long.

These aren't really our pets, but they are visitors, and we like them. Smile

And last, but certainly not least, are our cockatiels!
We had 3 in all. One flew away Sad and another one died pretty young. We have one beautiful cockatiel left now.

That about covers it! LOL

miriam

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 9:01 am
My avatar says it all, but now we have 4 budgies.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics