Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
ISO pepper salad recipe

lamplighter

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 12:32 am
I have red, green, and yellow peppers......

tzatza

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 9:14 am
I had the same Very Happy
Here is what I've done with it. I broiled peppers in the oven turning them so that all sides got that broiled charred appearance. Cool a little and peel off skin; took out seeds and sliced into strips. Put in a bowl. Then, cut up two small onions (it was for 6 peppers) in half-circles and chopped two cloves of fresh garlic. Sauteed them in pan with a bit of oil. Added to the peppers and gently tossed them around. Salt and pepper to taste. I put them in the fridge and will have tonight for the meal.

greeneyes

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 9:34 am
Do you have the KBD kids cookbook? There's a recipe for "Rainbow Salad," which is really good. Basically it calls for different color peppers cut into strips, fresh string beans & sugar snap peas, sliced carrots, baby corn, & sliced red onion. If you don't have all those veggies, I'm sure you can just slice up the peppers & flavor them with the dressing:

1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

ruthanne

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 9:46 am
There's also a really easy recipe in the Spice and Spirit cookbook called Sweet Red Pepper salad. You can use all the colors though and basically you cook up oil, vinegar and sugar and pour it over the sliced peppers and they marinate in the juice. Its really yummy!

ss321

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 9:49 am
ruthanne wrote:
There's also a really easy recipe in the Spice and Spirit cookbook called Sweet Red Pepper salad. You can use all the colors though and basically you cook up oil, vinegar and sugar and pour it over the sliced peppers and they marinate in the juice. Its really yummy!

can you post the recipe? this sounds delish

ruthanne

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 10:01 am
Ok here is the recipe from S&S pg. 282

Recipe is huge so you could half it if you want.

15 peppers
1 cup oil
2 tsp salt
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

Cut peppers into thin round slices. In 6 qt. pot heat the oil. Add the peppers, salt, vinegar and sugar. Stir well. Let simmer over low flame for 30 mins. or until peppers are soft. Stir once while cooking.
Can be stored in refrigerator for up to one month in tightly covered container.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 10:01 am
Fake Grilled Veggie Salad
We live in a city apartment and can't grill and it gets my goat to see all those grilled yummy recipes. Here's our substitute:
Grill 2 red or green bell peppers until broiler, turning until charred. Place peppers in plastic bag to cool. Remove skin and seeds. Dice.
Scald, peel, seed, and chop 4 large red tomatoes coarsely.
In medium mixing bowl, combine veggies with 1/3 cup parsley, 1 clove garlic, 2 tablespooons olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/2 tsp. cumin.
Chill. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 10:04 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Fake Grilled Veggie Salad
We live in a city apartment and can't grill and it gets my goat to see all those grilled yummy recipes. Here's our substitute:
Grill 2 red or green bell peppers until broiler, turning until charred. Place peppers in plastic bag to cool. Remove skin and seeds. Dice.
Scald, peel, seed, and chop 4 large red tomatoes coarsely.
In medium mixing bowl, combine veggies with 1/3 cup parsley, 1 clove garlic, 2 tablespooons olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/2 tsp. cumin.
Chill. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

This sounds great bec we don't like vinegar so much.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 10:16 am
Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics