Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Freaking out. Gave child too much antibiotics
Previous  1  2

amother
Lotus

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 8:00 pm
watergirl wrote:
My best friend’s son once downed an entire bottle of azithromycin (aka bubblegum medicine). Poison control told her that children’s antibiotics (or all antibiotics and other meds in the same classification) are dosed in such a way that if someone takes the entire thing in one shot, they will get stomach upset but not much worse than that.

Are you my friend? Laugh The pharmacist told me this exactly.
Once we got abx in 2 bottles delivered 5 days apart. The pharmacy told me they do it that way for kids safety. It was a very strong abx and they needed to keep the total bottle dosage at a safe quantity.

amother
Garnet

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 8:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Help! Gave DS double the amount by accident!
I gave him 10 ML when he was told to take 5.

He's 60 pounds.

Is this dangerous? Should I call someone

FWIW, some abx that are usually dosed for twice a day, you can give x2 and just once a day as per my ped.

amother
Garnet

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 8:38 pm
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
Are you my friend? Laugh The pharmacist told me this exactly.
Once we got abx in 2 bottles delivered 5 days apart. The pharmacy told me they do it that way for kids safety. It was a very strong abx and they needed to keep the total bottle dosage at a safe quantity.

They’ll also do that if you need 10 or 14 days of abx and some abx shouldn’t be used past 7 or 10 days of mixing.

amother
Catmint

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 8:39 pm
Call your pediatrician

4sure

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 9:51 pm
Poison control online has an amazing app. For future reference. My toddler also downed a half bottle of Motrin once and was fine. I believe that with Tylenol it’s different. We were lucky it was Motrin.

amother
Hosta

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 10:05 pm
I took my daughter to urgent care and he said my regular pediatrician is known to give double the usual dose of antibiotics. So according to my ped you gave the correct dose. Why he does that I have no idea!

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:09 am
Happened twice, that a much younger, smaller child was prescribed a much larger dose-fully double of our older, bigger child’s; both sick same week with strep. First time, I panicked and we called both the doctor’s office and pharmacy. Both asked the same question-“was it same doctor prescribing?” It wasn’t-the 2 prescriptions were given a few days’ apart. Both doctor’s office and pharmacy replied the same: “ Different doctors, different doses”. (So much for the stress put on making sure to give your child only the exact dose prescribed, no more, no less…)

Moonlight

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:19 am
The first time I ever had to give medication.to my baby, I gave my 2 mo old 5 ml of Zantac instead of 0.5 ml. I wasn't used to the measurements. They said if she has a reaction they need to pump her stomach. I cried all night. She was fine. This is many yrs ago

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 5:41 am
Usually fine but call your doctor.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics