Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Help me find a gift for a first-time Bubby!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 6:29 am
I'm picturing a charming grandma with a gray bun knitting in a rocking chair porcelain or rag doll but I'm having a hard time finding anything. (Something like this, but brand new, around $40 or less, and without the x-mas-y vibe, obviously:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/383793271112
)
I checked eBay, Amazon, Ali Express, and more. Anyone know of anything like that?
Or can anyone suggest an original, nice gift for a young early-40's grandmother? Online or Brooklyn area.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 7:35 am
Maybe try looking on Etsy. Especially since most of the artists on Etsy will be willing to customize it for you a bit.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 7:46 am
singleagain wrote:
Maybe try looking on Etsy. Especially since most of the artists on Etsy will be willing to customize it for you a bit.

Thanks. Forgot to mention that I did. Will settle on this if I can't find anything else:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/8.....girls

singleagain

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 7:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. Forgot to mention that I did. Will settle on this if I can't find anything else:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/8.....girls

That's cute. Especially as it's totally customizable

But why do you say you'll settle.. what don't you like / what are you looking for that that doesn't have?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 7:50 am
singleagain wrote:
That's cute. Especially as it's totally customizable

But why do you say you'll settle.. what don't you like / what are you looking for that that doesn't have?

The price.
No rocking chair.
And it's cute but not exactly what I pictured.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 7:58 am
My relative was very sensitive when she became a bubby for the first time. Any reference to being old made her upset.
Please consider this when buying a gift.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 8:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The price.
No rocking chair.
And it's cute but not exactly what I pictured.

Does bubby need to be set on the rocking chair? Can you see if someone else can make you a rocking chair? And if you specifically wanted knitting you can contact that seller to see if s/he could add some knitting. Or if you wanted the bun hairstyle you could ask.

Of course I wouldn't do anything about price it's not fair to ask artists for deep discounts.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 8:22 am
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
My relative was very sensitive when she became a bubby for the first time. Any reference to being old made her upset.
Please consider this when buying a gift.

This.

And most bubbies are not looking for more tchotchkes in their home.

Might I suggest an online pic that she can laugh at and walk away, and then if you feel like you want to give her a gift, maybe a picture frame, either digital or old school?

https://images.app.goo.gl/P96RLm1JbdUDs8Jj7

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 8:27 am
I saw something very cute but I can’t find a picture of it now.
They were custom iced cookies that said hi my name is hubby, with a picture of a lady in a grey bun with a cane. Is there someone near you who makes custom cookies and would do that for you? It’s cheaper cuter and definitely more appreciated than a doll.

A1MUM

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 8:28 am
How about a personalized Lucite cookie jar saying" worlds best grandma" or something like that?

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 8:31 am
Found it!

4g01o

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 8:39 am
I didn't read the whole thread.

How about a personalised door mat?

Welcome to bubby's house

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 8:41 am
Fab4 wrote:
I didn't read the whole thread.

How about a personalised door mat?

Welcome to bubby's house

And how will Zeide feel?!

4g01o

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 8:45 am
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
And how will Zeide feel?!

Oh yeah lol!! LOL
So welcome to zeidy and bubby's house

4g01o

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 8:46 am
A nice poem about grandmother's from online printed out and put in a photo frame is another cute idea.

jflower

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 10:01 am
If she's a first-time grandmother, she may not be ready to be depicted as a white haired 90-year-old holding onto a cane. I would not appreciate such a gift and certainly would not display it but you know your friend better than I do.

I second the idea of a beautiful picture frame but good luck whatever you decide.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 10:06 am
As a high forties first time Bubby the old aspect would have irked me . I’m voting for the electronic picture frame . We’re always saying that we should print pics and never do . They can be uploaded directly to the frame so you cut out the printing middleman.

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 10:16 am
All the bubbies I know are very youthful. Get her a cute mug saying how much fun grandchildren are, and a gift certificate for a mani/pedi. Or a necklace or bracelet with a charm for the baby.

Why should you make her feel old?

CatLady

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 10:27 am
I'm in my mid-60s and I'd have to fake-smile and express phony gratitude for this kind of gift. If she likes to knit or crochet, why not a gift certificate to an artisanal yarn shop so she can treat herself? If not, a coffee mug saying "I Heart Grandma and a selection of tea or coffee is a much more tactful gift.

mazelandbracha

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 11:06 am
https://www.etsy.com/listing/7.....frs=1

How about this one?

You know, whenever someone asks for help with giving a gift, they are told “know your friend.” Quit giving her a hard time…I’d be hysterical to get a gift like this, and I would display it proudly!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics