Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
I want to organize…

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 12:20 am
I want to organize instead of doing it while pesach cleaning and not managing. How do u ladies work in an organized manner to break my habit of doing spring cleaning with pesach under stress. What should I do now? I have a very big house and don’t want to panick as gets closer

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 12:30 am
Take a room a week.
Let's say you start with the dining room.
One day organize the bottom sfarim cabinets. One day the upper. One day wipe down the chairs. One day the blinds. Only take out in one day what you have time for and can handle going through that day. Don't let things sit out for another day.
Continue with laundry room another week. Wash down all appliances. Organize the shelves. Clean behind everything. Get rid of the basket of missing socks.

shanarishona

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 1:32 am
I never tried it but there’s a fly lady system that can help you break it down

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 1:35 am
I know it’s not relevant but moving did the trick for me. Every year I procrastinate organizing and then just speed clean before pesach. We’re moving next week iyh and I’m going through my house closet by closet. I got rid of 10 garbage bags full of stuff! Don’t ask where I had room for all that clutter in our tiny apartment. I have no idea!

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 5:05 am
There is a hakol bseder hotline to hear what to do each day.

Follow some you tubes on decluttering like
A slob comes clean, minimal mom, cass from clutterbug.

The main thing is to declutter and get rid of all extras

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 6:03 am
Start with the upstairs, bedrooms, bathrooms, linen closets, laundry room
1-2 bedrooms every week, so that you are finished by Purim
NO FOOD UPSTAIRS is a must for this to work
When regular weekly cleaning make sure that what was done is not undone

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 8:05 am
1. Know the difference between Pesach cleaning, spring cleaning, and organizing.
2. Decide which you want to do now.
3. List the tasks and places you want to include.
4. Break the job up into small chunks.
5. Start with something very small so you get immediate gratification.

Step #1, when you're ready to tackle the work, is PURGE. Purging means you won't waste energy and time cleaning and organizing items that you're going to get rid of. An exception is items you're going to give away as opposed to throw out. It's not menschlich to give away things that are dirty, no matter to whom you're giving them. But don't clean them now. Collect them all and clean them after you've done your purging.

Remember, it's not necessary to overturn your entire house. Do only as much as you feel up to at any given time. This can be a single shelf, drawer, bin, or corner. Prepare bags, boxes, or bins for the following categories: Keep, discard, give away, and review.

If you're organizing, as opposed to cleaning, and you come across an item that you're unsure about, or one that needs to be looked at more closely, put it in the "review" pile. Don't waste time mid-task contemplating. Do that after you've put back the items you've decided to keep.

An example of something requiring review might be an old notebook full of info you no longer need but may have some info you still must keep or that must be shredded as opposed to simply thrown out. Don't interrupt your organizing or cleaning to go through it as this will derail the project. Set it aside for careful review later. But DON'T put it back on the shelf.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 8:28 am
Very good way to organize. 1 thing at a time. No jumbled messes.
https://youtu.be/UgPzjWyVwH0

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 8:39 am
Thank u so much my dear imas. Does it make sense to go start in bedrooms, remove everything, decide if keep or not, wipe down the walls/shelves/drawers and already preach cleaning is included ? Or am I mixing it up

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank u so much my dear imas. Does it make sense to go start in bedrooms, remove everything, decide if keep or not, wipe down the walls/shelves/drawers and already preach cleaning is included ? Or am I mixing it up

Why not? Let your family know that no chometz is to be brought in there after you've gone through it. How old are your children? Once mine were old enough to respect the seriousness of Pesach cleaning , as opposed to spring cleaning, I made them responsible for cleaning up their own rooms. I did not check to see if they tidied their drawers.

What's important is that YOU understand what's Pesach cleaning and what's spring cleaning. True Pesach cleaning is obligatory, while spring cleaning is optional. Pesach will still be Pesach if you don't wipe down the bedroom walls and organize the drawers. Halacha is that any area into which chometz is never brought doesn't even have to be checked, let alone cleaned. Of course, in a house with small children, there may be few such areas, but do you really need to clean your jewelry box, sheitel case, sweater drawer, file cabinet? Maybe not.

Optione

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 9:41 am
When I want to organize, the ghost thing I always do is take a garbage bag and throw out anything in that room that I'm obviously getting rid of. Once that stuff is out of the way, then I proceed with organizing.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 10:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes this makes the most sense. I also have a 6 bedroom house. I start 1 month before purim. Every Sunday I have one room. I start in the attic and work my way in the the rooms doing the guest room and then Baby room… room first that are the least likely to get chometz in it

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 10:38 am
People tend to go overboard with pesach cleaning because they like to organize the house well once a year. If you can start to organize now, that's great! It will be much easier to clean if all the junk is purged and things are neat.

I feel like the only real pesach cleaning is the kitchen, dining room and surrounding areas. Everything else probably gets cleaned year round and really just needs to be inspected. Unless your kids are spreading crumbs in all their drawers, and under random areas all the time.

I have a big house, but I do have cleaning help regularly. When I clean for pesach it really doesn't take too long, even if when I do it myself. I organize throughout the year, whenever I feel the itch or get overwhelmed from that area.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 10:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That sounds amazing! You'll feel so free and clean after.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 03 2022, 11:10 am
Organizing doesn’t have to be before Pesach. Many people organize this time of year when it’s calm and cold outside. Start with your bedroom and do a few shelves or drawers a day...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics