Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Who's gonna get this book for her kids?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 7:42 pm
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/200.....xFb8C

ick!

Raizle

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 7:45 pm
I agree, Ick

Maya

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 7:47 pm
Even if I do consider liposuction after I'm done having kids, why would I need to inform my children about it? Is the book only made for kids of mothers who are having surgery to rearrange their entire face?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 7:55 pm
according to the article it's for mothers who choose to get cosmetic surgery to get rid of post-childbirth stuff.

what a great bedtime story...

Hadassa Avra

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 8:25 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
according to the article it's for mothers who choose to get cosmetic surgery to get rid of post-childbirth stuff.

what a great bedtime story...

Once upon a time Mommy was skinny.
Then she decided to have you. Because of you Mommy's tummy got pulled out of shape. Mommy also had extreme chocolate, french fry and candy cravings while pregnant with you so she put on loads of extra fat.
Now Mommy's going to have surgery - because of you - so that she can be skinny again.

Sweet Dreams

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 8:29 pm
The funny thing about this is that the author is a frum guy..

Fox

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 9:53 pm
Raizle wrote:
I agree, Ick

This was my first thought, too. But then I thought about my daughter, a"h, who required a number of plastic surgeries to make her "prettier." Granted, in her case, it was because of a craniofacial condition rather than age and gravity. Still, I bet this book becomes popular among pediatric plastic surgeons who work with such kids -- it presents plastic surgery as something that lots of "normal" people do to improve their looks instead of something done to make people "normal."

Raizle

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 10:25 pm
fox I hear you but then someone can write a book geared to children like your daughter about other children that went through similar things.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 18 2008, 5:30 am
it's a joke right?

mumoo

Post Fri, Apr 18 2008, 6:14 am
I once asked my pediatrician if my preemie son should have growth hormone shots to make him taller. she said no because she didn't want him to get the idea there was something wrong with him, that Gd made a mistake (she is not Jewish). He was on the shortest end of the normal range chart; is now nearly 18 and 5'7."

Of course, I realize that medical intervention is necessary in other cases and I, in no way, mean to ridicule others that do so.

I just liked her attitude for my son who was otherwise fine, but maybe not "magazine or movie star perfect."

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 18 2008, 6:20 am
If it can interest you, I don't think 5'7 is so short for a Jew, and especially for a frum. I notice that they're really shorter than average. As a 5'10 gal I was taller that many guys I was introduced to. Even my dh was shorter than me when we met, although he still grew a bit and now he's a tad taller. I see the huge majority of the frum girls being under 5'7.
By the way my dad is 5'7 and told me in his time people thought he was a giant!!

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 18 2008, 7:22 am
Fox wrote:

This was my first thought, too. But then I thought about my daughter, a"h, who required a number of plastic surgeries to make her "prettier." Granted, in her case, it was because of a craniofacial condition rather than age and gravity. Still, I bet this book becomes popular among pediatric plastic surgeons who work with such kids -- it presents plastic surgery as something that lots of "normal" people do to improve their looks instead of something done to make people "normal."

see now that is a whole dif perspective to look at ...

sorry about your daughter

Fox

Post Fri, Apr 18 2008, 9:35 am
greenfire wrote:

see now that is a whole dif perspective to look at ...

Well, like I said, my first reaction wasn't exactly, "Oh, what a good idea." And I'm not sure that the number of kids requiring plastic surgery is so great that we need a book implying that plastic surgery is the equivalent of a new haircut or new makeup.

However, the whole pediatric plastic surgery experience can be pretty humorous at times. My daughter, although she was quite young, idolized her plastic surgeon and thought everyone should avail themselves of his services. If she saw anyone who looked a little odd to her for whatever reason, she'd whisper to me that "Maybe that lady should go to Dr. Smith."

So maybe this wouldn't be such a great book for these kids -- if they're like my daughter, they might actually start suggesting that Mommy do something about that flabby tummy or sagging jowls! LOL

Motek

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 8:08 am
mumoo wrote:
I once asked my pediatrician if my preemie son should have growth hormone shots to make him taller.

I haven't heard that a consequence of being a preemie is not growing to one's full genetic height. (My sis-in-law was a preemie and she's 5'6"). Other preemies I know of are short adults with short parents.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 10:58 am
My dad was a premie big time (born in the early 30's just before the seventh month! shock no one thought he would live) and grew up to 5'7'', which was considered huge in his youth...

mumoo

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 6:47 pm
Motek wrote:
mumoo wrote:
I once asked my pediatrician if my preemie son should have growth hormone shots to make him taller.

I haven't heard that a consequence of being a preemie is not growing to one's full genetic height. (My sis-in-law was a preemie and she's 5'6"). Other preemies I know of are short adults with short parents.

Good point, Motek. His height and 'preemie-ness' might just be unrelated. I only knew he was on the lowest end of normal and had been so since being born at 4 lbs. I just assumed it was related, but you know, my father isn't the tallest man either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room