Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
"Signature" Challah

Hannah!

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 12:35 am
What tricks do you use to make your challos unique? Special shapes, toppings, etc...

Mishie

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 1:05 am
I sometimes use 2 types of doughs (white and whole wheat) and braid the 2 together. It looks really cool when it's baked!

I also have this cool way of making round challahs. You take one long strand, and twist it as much as you can (very twisted) and then you procedd to roll it up like a snail. It looks really awesome!!

One more: Make one long braid, and then put the 2 ends together so it looks like a circle. Looks very festive!

My MIL makes pull-apart challa, and puts on each circle a different type of seed: Sesame, Poppy, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Flax Seeds.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 2:34 am
I make the Spice and Spirit Half and Half Challah and I add a dash of pure vanilla extract to my dough. I also top it with rolled oats instead of poppy or sesame seeds, neither which I like.

(The half and half is half whole wheat mixed with bleached white... the family loves it)

queen

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 8:22 am
I add extra sugar embarrassed

lst

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 8:26 am
When egging the top of the challah, drizzle on some honey as well.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 9:41 am
I braided with four strands.

Chayary

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 12:36 pm
I feel bad giving it away, but my sil got this from a friend, and now we do it too--"Everything" Challah. We put egg, then sesame, poppy, kosher salt, minced onion and garlic. Yum. My husband loves it.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 12:42 pm
queen wrote:
I add extra sugar embarrassed
Sorry Queen, you're not unique in that Wink

Tefila

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 1:08 pm
I add choc chips sometimes. And drizzel with egg mixture and some sugar, before adding sesame seeds. I have done pull aparts and six. Though I am sure I am not unique 8)
Oh and I bake them on the tin foiled oven rack as opposed to tray which limits how much I can put on. Wink

Mishie

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 3:46 am
I just remembered 3 more:

1) Sprinkle Corn-Meal on the pan before putting the challahs on to bake.
It gives the crust a really nice crunch!! (learned this from my MIL)

2) An easy way to make a 6 braided Challah: Take 6 strands, twist 2 at a time and connect the ends. Now braid the 3 twists. And there you go! You've got a 6 braided Challah!!! (It looks just like you've braided 6 strands, but it's less confusing and really easy to do!!!)

3) Make a regular 3 strand Challah, and then add another skinny braid on-top. Looks really pretty!!

HooRYou

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 5:55 am
I don't always do it, but we lvoe our 100% ww challah with minced fresh onion inside. I have also made sourdough which is yummy but you have to start on Monday!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 10:01 am
For a long time, I used oats insead of some of he flour. A friend just reminded me that!

It made the challah quite moist and I never ever ever touch oatmeal!

Mom2Three

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 1:49 pm
HooRYou wrote:
I don't always do it, but we lvoe our 100% ww challah with minced fresh onion inside. I have also made sourdough which is yummy but you have to start on Monday!
That does sound yummy! How do you do the sourdough?

cookielady

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 2:40 pm
sometimes a pesto in one strand, a tomatoe garlic in another, and plain stand and braid.

but the all time favorite is chocolate chips in dough. Sometimes cinnamon chips if I have them. My dd has put chopped up nutty chews in a couple of times. Of course the only problem or two is that my dh gets chocolate all over his hands and its gross with chummos!

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 3:09 pm
Such a beautiful thread...
In a family I used to board with the mother sprinkled cinnamon on the pan before she put the loaves on to bake. There is just a hint of a cinnamon taste on each slice... heavenly....

Tehilla

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 3:11 pm
my most 'signature' challahs are the ones my two young daughters make with me. when they help, we always get comments on how special it seems...it's always theirs. Wink

red sea

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 3:14 pm
love the ideas mishie, thanks. I need to remember to try some.

bashinda

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 10:46 pm
I'm so sure I saw this thread before but never noticed mishie's 6-braid challah trick. That's so cool!

Mishie

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 8:38 am
Thanks so much for reviving this thread.
I totally forgot about it!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads