Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Estimate amount spent on clothing per child, and yourself
Previous  1  2

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 8:06 pm
I won’t tell you how much I spend on clothes for my older daughter, because it’s really way too much. The reason I do it is because she has a hard time with tznius, so I go to the more expensive store, which has nicer clothing which she likes. I could get her the less expensive stuff, but it’s always a fight. I decided it’s worth it to spend more, which BH we can afford. For my younger daughter I usually spend about $300 for a complete wardrobe. I used to shop on totinni for her, but once I’m going into a store, I just do that. Yes, it’s a little more expensive, but she’s happy.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 8:14 pm
Quote:
Cuz BH he’s growing growing growing!!

Oh wow, so fast!
My DS will usually grow all at once only after quite a few months. It's like all of a sudden everything is too short. But for now he's still wearing all the same clothes that I bought him in August. Could be he's done growing.

pinkpeonies

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 8:14 pm
About $1000 per kid per season
For myself, prob about 2-3k

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 9:19 pm
For my 16 year old, upcoming summer season.

1 shabbos robe $55
1 pr shabbos shoes $60
2 pr sneakers $75 each
1 pr slides $20
1 swimsuit $55
3 shabbos dresses $92 each
2 denim skirts $45 each
1 maxi dress $36
10 t-shirts $17 each
6 bras $150 total
12 panties $80 total
5 pjs $16 each

$1,072 so far

Still need to buy socks, pantyhose and I'm not sure what else for camp, but I'm only including clothes here, not extras. She already has lots of skirts from last year so not looking for many more.

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 9:39 pm
For me this coming summer season so far (I haven't gotten far yet, but I do have things from previous years so I usually just buy slowly as I see them).

$140 shabbos robe
$152 shabbos dress
$78 shabbos shoes
$76 weekday shoes
$46 mules
$60 swim dress
$45 denim vest
$75 maxi dress
$40 house tees 2
$20 slinky maxi skirt
$30 belt
$96 pantyhose
$66 shells 3

$883 running total

So from all my posts, I am going to assume around $1,000 per person for the summer season.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 12:56 am
I have no idea. My kids mostly wear hammy downs. I am not a big spender for myself but having kids does require many wardrobes so I definitely spend more lately with pregnancy and postpartum and nursing just to have comfy clothing that fits

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 1:56 am
pinkpeonies wrote:
About $1000 per kid per season
For myself, prob about 2-3k

Now I don’t feel so bad- I spent less than that for both of my girls together.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 2:46 am
It depends, let's say I have one kid harder to fit. I bought at Totini, the biggest size, few tshirts & 2 sets pjs, for cheap, without him. Nothing fit him. I returned everything.
I took him along to lulu & fit him some tops but they were double the price. By totini $17-22. By lulu $27-$44.
They are still only mid price by local heimishe stores.
Other stores are even more.
I need him to feel comfortable. Wont take him to a mall. Need to try on for him. He can only wear long sleeves so hard to find now in non Jewish stores. He outgrew Ali express in size. Also whatever I looked at online for boys were with graphics, numbers or words which he can't wear. He is young so don't want something too mature like plaid shirts etc. Also don't want to be busy ironing.
Non Jewish stores like H&M, Zara, Gap went up in price too and not that cheap anymore.

My other boy keeps losing & gaining weight due to medical condition, with different meds, feeds, treatments, so need to keep buying new clothes in diff sizing.

My 6 year old daughter is easier, some hand me downs, some from last year, some new. Could be for cheaper.

My toddler is using some handme down from my older daughter. She is home, in summer she will either do daycare or school. Idk how to shop for her. In school she needs dresses, in daycare she can do leggings & shorts still.
Anyhow right now I am changing her couple of times a day as she gets wet & dirty all the time.
She needs lots of stuff, last year I was still able to get her most of her play clothes from Ali express.

This year I like to match some stuff like toddler outfits to older daughter dresses which is harder.

For myself I don't buy a new wardrobe every season.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 2:51 am
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
It depends, let's say I have one kid harder to fit. I bought at Totini, the biggest size, few tshirts & 2 sets pjs, for cheap, without him. Nothing fit him. I returned everything.
I took him along to lulu & fit him some tops but they were double the price. By totini $17-22. By lulu $27-$44.
They are still only mid price by local heimishe stores.
Other stores are even more.
I need him to feel comfortable. Wont take him to a mall. Need to try on for him. He can only wear long sleeves so hard to find now in non Jewish stores. He outgrew Ali express in size. Also whatever I looked at online for boys were with graphics, numbers or words which he can't wear. He is young so don't want something too mature like plaid shirts etc. Also don't want to be busy ironing.
Non Jewish stores like H&M, Zara, Gap went up in price too and not that cheap anymore.

My other boy keeps losing & gaining weight due to medical condition, with different meds, feeds, treatments, so need to keep buying new clothes in diff sizing.

My 6 year old daughter is easier, some hand me downs, some from last year, some new. Could be for cheaper.

My toddler is using some handme down from my older daughter. She is home, in summer she will either do daycare or school. Idk how to shop for her. In school she needs dresses, in daycare she can do leggings & shorts still.
Anyhow right now I am changing her couple of times a day as she gets wet & dirty all the time.
She needs lots of stuff, last year I was still able to get her most of her play clothes from Ali express.

This year I like to match some stuff like toddler outfits to older daughter dresses which is harder.

For myself I don't buy a new wardrobe every season.

No need to defend yourself!

I think it's great that you buy each child what they need without excess. As you pointed out, hand-me-downs don't work for everyone, and neither does cheap clothing.

The best parents are the ones that give each child what they need based on their individual situation.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 3:30 am
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
I won’t tell you how much I spend on clothes for my older daughter, because it’s really way too much. The reason I do it is because she has a hard time with tznius, so I go to the more expensive store, which has nicer clothing which she likes. I could get her the less expensive stuff, but it’s always a fight. I decided it’s worth it to spend more, which BH we can afford. For my younger daughter I usually spend about $300 for a complete wardrobe. I used to shop on totinni for her, but once I’m going into a store, I just do that. Yes, it’s a little more expensive, but she’s happy.

Love this.

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 7:32 am
amother [ NeonPink ] wrote:
My kids around $500 each full wardrobe including new shoes
Myself $1,000

Edited- this is per season so times x2 a year

This thread actually got me calculating what I did spend in the end…

My toddler- closer to $700. I live in the UK and the summer can be chilly, so we need all seasons here plus he grows so fast so his winter stuff are too small. He also started walking so we added shoes & sneakers.

My older boys- less then $400. They wear uniform during the year and we have just about 4 weeks of summer holiday for them so they don’t need much. Most expensive was the Shabbos shoes.

Myself- I’m proud to say I bought 4 new Shabbos outfits, new Shabbos shoes and lots of new weekday stuff for under $700 (£530) I usually a lot spend more. My most expensive purchase was a new good weekday skirt from a frum shop. Around $145!! Madness, but there’s not much else available here.

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 8:04 am
You’re lucky, I have to bug my 14/15 year old new clothing every 6-8 weeks!!

You should be able to alter clothing. My son grew insane this year to over 6 ft bH.
He is wearing same suit from last year pesach. We let down the pants every few weeks/months.
At this age I’ll only buy pants snd suits with huge hems.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 8:12 am
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
You should be able to alter clothing. My son grew insane this year to over 6 ft bH.
He is wearing same suit from last year pesach. We let down the pants every few weeks/months.
At this age I’ll only buy pants snd suits with huge hems.

He also needs school clothes, which don’t generally come with generous hems.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 9:48 am
I have a monthly/annual budget so I can clearly check:

In the last 2 years:
Me - on shoes, clothing, and accessories totaled an average of 130 per month so that's a total of 1500-1600 per year.

This past year it's up by 100/month for a total of 2700-2800 per year.

My kids in the last 2 years (in which I bh had another baby)
120/month
150/month

This past year it's at 430/month.

I did make bar mitzvah this year too, so we bought extra clothes and for the bar mitzva boy it's more expensive. But the prices are soaring like crazy.

Oh, cute. I forgot to calculate the cost of uniforms in this equation (it's a separate category on my excel sheet.)

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 10:47 am
He also needs school clothes, which don’t generally come with generous hems.

I buy him pants locally from stores that come un hemmed and leave a huge piece

(But I haven’t been happy with the quality of the pants he likes so not sure it’s working so well right now )
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics