Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What's with the milk prices???
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Are dairy prices rising where you live?
Yes - somewhat  
 30%  [ 30 ]
Yes - a lot  
 57%  [ 58 ]
No  
 12%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 100

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 7:25 am
singleagain wrote:
Actually... I work in a grocery store and we are constantly working on lowering prices.

But we do have a margin formula that we follow. Dairy should be x% frozen y% household stuff z% etc

Where I live WIC products are def marked up more. Like large egg prices never made sense compared to xLarge. Cereal, cheese, peanut butter eligible first WIC always highly priced.
Those products I buy in other stores.

singleagain

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 7:30 am
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
Where I live WIC products are def marked up more. Like large egg prices never made sense compared to xLarge. Cereal, cheese, peanut butter eligible first WIC always highly priced.
Those products I buy in other stores.

Certain WIC items, I am not allowed to raise above a certain price. When I get a price raise on WIC items, I call my manager.

"We got a price increase on milk. It now cost us this much and our margin dropped to this. What should I do?"

He will then call WIC and tell them that and either WIC gives him permission to raise the price or, we have to take the product off WIC and not accept it anymore. Bc otherwise we can't make any money on the item.

If you think they are selling milk above what WIC allows, call WIC and tell them.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:01 am
singleagain wrote:
Certain WIC items, I am not allowed to raise above a certain price. When I get a price raise on WIC items, I call my manager.

"We got a price increase on milk. It now cost us this much and our margin dropped to this. What should I do?"

He will then call WIC and tell them that and either WIC gives him permission to raise the price or, we have to take the product off WIC and not accept it anymore. Bc otherwise we can't make any money on the item.

If you think they are selling milk above what WIC allows, call WIC and tell them.

I’m not saying they raise above the maximum.
I’m saying I believe they sell at whatever is the maximum which inflates the price.
Compare wic and non wic versions of the same product. There is a clear price diff. That is very obvious.

singleagain

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:07 am
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
I’m not saying they raise above the maximum.
I’m saying I believe they sell at whatever is the maximum which inflates the price.
Compare wic and non wic versions of the same product. There is a clear price diff. That is very obvious.

Yes.. WIC tends to be lower.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 12:33 pm
singleagain wrote:
Yes.. WIC tends to be lower.

Do your suppliers tell you in advance when they are planning a price increase or a sale?

singleagain

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 12:45 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Do your suppliers tell you in advance when they are planning a price increase or a sale?

Yes. Right now I'm working on my circular sales for next week... I could've do that without knowing what's coming in on discount.

I also have price increase ready to be looked at by the boss to decide what to raise prices up to.

ichbingreit

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:05 pm
It’s funny because a 2l bottle of milk is 4 dollars in Israel. 4!!!!!
That is half of a minimum wage salary for an hour.
It is just plain insane.
And this is pre Inflation

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:31 pm
ichbingreit wrote:
It is just plain insane.

Just FYI I don't think 2 L. milk in carton is under supervision price in israel and therefore they can charge anything.
Just saying...

ichbingreit

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:35 pm
The one liter. is not cheaper… they’re all around the same price per ml

juggling

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:37 pm
ichbingreit wrote:
It is just plain insane.

Not quite. It's close, but let's not get carried away.

A 2 liter bottle of milk costs a bit under 12 shekels (3.5 US dollars). Minimum wage is just above 29 shekels an hour.

It isn't easy to live on minimum wage in Israel. That is true.

juggling

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:43 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Just FYI I don't think 2 L. milk in carton is under supervision price in israel and therefore they can charge anything.
Just saying...

They are all under pikuach. Regular milk (as opposed to low lactose, high protein, flavored milk, etc) is under pikuach regardless if the container it comes in. The pikuach price on bags is lower than the pikuach price on cartons or jugs.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:44 pm
ichbingreit wrote:
The one liter. is not cheaper… they’re all around the same price per ml

If you buy cartons you obviously pay more. Milk in bags is cheaper. I buy 3% milk in bag at 4.05 NIS and sometimes 3 bags at 11.90 NIS.

WitchKitty

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:46 pm
juggling wrote:
Not quite. It's close, but let's not get carried away.

A 2 liter bottle of milk costs a bit under 12 shekels (3.5 US dollars). Minimum wage is just above 29 shekels an hour.

It isn't easy to live on minimum wage in Israel. That is true.

But that's only if you buy the carton.
Regular bagged milk is 5.17 maximum. 2 liters is 10.34₪, which comes out to a little more than a 1/3 of minimum wage.

juggling

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:52 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
But that's only if you buy the carton.
Regular bagged milk is 5.17 maximum. 2 liters is 10.34₪, which comes out to a little more than a 1/3 of minimum wage.

Yes. I was just responding regarding the accuracy of the quoted numbers. Obviously someone who is on a tight budget would buy their milk in bags, which is cheaper.

WitchKitty

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 4:57 pm
juggling wrote:
Yes. I was just responding regarding the accuracy of the quoted numbers. Obviously someone who is on a tight budget would buy their milk in bags, which is cheaper.

You're just not Israeli Very Happy
We don't mind milk in bags and don't see much of a point in getting the cartons. Nothing to do with budgeting.

juggling

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 5:03 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
We don't mind milk in bags and don't see much of a point in getting the cartons. Nothing to do with budgeting.

I'm not sure what this had to do with me or my israeli-ness. I was just correcting some numbers to be more accurate.

Last edited by juggling on Sat, May 14 2022, 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 10:53 pm
WitchKitty wrote:

Not an Israeli and sorry for being off topic - I've heard the milk-in-bags thing for years, but don't really get it. How does that work? Do you have to pour the milk into a pitcher or previously bought milk container?

imanotmommy

Post Sat, May 14 2022, 11:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not an Israeli and sorry for being off topic - I've heard the milk-in-bags thing for years, but don't really get it. How does that work? Do you have to pour the milk into a pitcher or previously bought milk container?

You put the bag in a milk pitcher and snip the corner off. Then you pour from that. Maybe you can find a picture of this online.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 6:02 pm
imanotmommy wrote:
You put the bag in a milk pitcher and snip the corner off. Then you pour from that. Maybe you can find a picture of this online.

I love this picture Smile
The remaining empty bag is so convenient to push into the garbage can as opposed to bulky cartons.

kalsee

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 3:37 am
I don't do milk bags because they spoil faster than the cartons and we're not big milk drinkers.
But otherwise, I don't have an issue with it
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics