Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Lacetop- yeshivish rav says ok?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Peony

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:35 pm
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
But beyond the actual halacha, what is preferable will be hashkafa related, not halacha related. What R’ Henkin would say is preferable will differ from what R’ Moshe would say, which would differ from what the Lubavitcher Rebbe would say, which would differ from what the viznitzer Rebbe would say….

Or it’s different ways to interpret halacha in some cases…

amother
Peony

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:37 pm
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:
Sorry, this is NOT true. My husbands rosh kollel is fine with falls and his daughter who I am friends with wears a fall. He told me lace tops are assur but lace fronts are fine as long as they're lined. Sheitals should be shoulder length, an inch below. We live in Far Rockaway for context.

Ummm what’s not true? Many aren’t ok with it. Your rav is one he’s not all. Just because he is totally fine with it doesn’t make it not true that many aren’t.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:48 pm
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
Or it’s different ways to interpret halacha in some cases…

I guess, but my point still remains- what is preferable to one group may not be what is preferable to another.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:50 pm
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
Ummm what’s not true? Many aren’t ok with it. Your rav is one he’s not all. Just because he is totally fine with it doesn’t make it not true that many aren’t.

I see so many yeshivish women walking around with falls. I see it in Lakewood, Monsey, 5T, Far Rockaway, Miami….it’s not just one rav in one place.

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:52 pm
I see so many yeshivish women walking around with falls. I see it in Lakewood, Monsey, 5T, Far Rockaway, Miami….it’s not just one rav in one place.
Ultra yeshivish doesn’t wear. For example Lakewood right near yeshiva. But mainstream yeshivish definitely does.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:54 pm
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
Ultra yeshivish doesn’t wear. For example Lakewood right near yeshiva. But mainstream yeshivish definitely does.

I don’t know the difference between yeshivish and ultra yeshivish, I just know that I see plenty of yeshivish women wearing falls.

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:42 pm
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:

I know ultra yeshivish people in Lakewood who do wear falls. Again, mostly the younger demographic. (Although I think falls are less flattering as people age, so I see that across the board with fall wearers.)

amother
Quince

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:59 pm
I know a bmg rav who does not allow lace wigs of any type does say band falls with no hair showing are ok.

He used to say not to bec there was an issue of slippage and often hair would end up showing. Either in the front of the band or between the band and the wig. But now says the falls are made diff and there is less slippage and it is easier to fully cover. As long as there is no hair showing it is permitted.

(Honestly bands with no hair showing are not at all natural looking)

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 2:05 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
I heard from someone who spoke to reb dovid Feinstein zt’l about lace tops. He said there is nothing wrong with your shaitel looking natrual and beautiful but it cannot be see thru. Very often when the lace top is lined, it is still considered see thru. He said if you put a white tissue under the lining and see the tissue thru then it is still see thru. I got a lace top and triple lined it and it’s not see thru and it looks gorgeous BH

When it’s lined it’s not see through once it’s sitting on the hair, it’s only see through when holding it up to the light.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 2:19 am
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:
Sorry, this is NOT true. My husbands rosh kollel is fine with falls and his daughter who I am friends with wears a fall. He told me lace tops are assur but lace fronts are fine as long as they're lined. Sheitals should be shoulder length, an inch below. We live in Far Rockaway for context.

Interesting! What’s the difference between lined lace top vs lined lace front?

imaima

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 2:20 am
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
They doesn’t address the see through part which is the issue so I’m confused how that answers anything.

It does. It doesn’t matter what the wog is made of, as long as the hair it covered.

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:15 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
When it’s lined it’s not see through once it’s sitting on the hair, it’s only see through when holding it up to the light.

Just because you can’t tell the diff between your hair and the wig hair it doesn’t make it not see thru lol
The psak I was given from Reb dovid Feinstein zt’l was that if it’s see thru when it’s off your head it’s assur. If it’s not see thru, there’s nothing wrong with it

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:18 am
Interesting to note, I once asked my yeshivish rav if see through tichels are a problem (obviously not talking about clear plastic but some lighter color ones are see through) and he said it wasn’t a problem. I wonder if he’d say the same for Lacetop.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:44 am
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
According Rav Moshe the reason we wear a wig is ONLY to cover our hair. We do not have to look married. According to other poskim, we have to look married and there4 it is a problem.
I just find some kind of irony in the fact that people suddenly quote Rav Moshe when it comes to their wig yet continue carrying in the eiruv.

Or use BC pills.

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:27 am
My Rav in Flatbush said that Halachically there is nothing wrong with me wearing a lined lace front wig but it's a higher madreiga not to. He said that it can be maaras ayin because people would assume my lace isn't lined as most aren't, and it almost makes people look like they aren't even wearing a wig. He said I can wear one if I want but it's better not to. Every Rav holds different, there is no reason not to ask yours and make a decision based on what he says.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:49 am
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
Since when did the Halacha become anything but covering one’s hair once married? It doesn’t matter how as long as it’s covered. The only issue would be if it was see through. The rest is all hashkafa and nothing to do with Halacha. Quite frankly this reminds me of the intimacy topic of not sleeping in the same bed… maybe theoretically it is more appropriate to sleep separately or wear non lace wigs but honestly how do rabbanim in todays day and age feel that it’s right to come out and make women feel guilty for it? Seriously? Aren’t you happy that women are still covering their hair? Where did priorities go? The Halacha to cover the hair is being fulfilled and that should be the end of the discussion. It really boggles me.

Uh, there have always been poskim that paskened hair coverings have to be more than just coverings. I guess the most obvious are the Sephardi poskim who never accepted wigs altogether.

This is not about hashkafa. There are poskim that feel that covering with something obvious is HALACHA. Rabbanim pasken according to what they see as the truth, after going thru the various sources, coming up with a true psak. It's not about making anyone feel guilty for anything, and it's not about being happy with something being good enough. A Psak Halacha is not about people pleasing, it's about prioritizing Emes in the way that the Rav paskens, over anything else.

I honestly feel that the tone of your post is pretty disrespectful to Poskim who pasken this way. (I don't personally feel strongly about this topic one way or another.)

amother
Peony

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:18 am
imaima wrote:
It does. It doesn’t matter what the wog is made of, as long as the hair it covered.

If it’s see through it’s not covered according to many opinions.

amother
Peony

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:20 am

There are levels of yeshivish. And people use the word to mean different things. Like yeshivish in Lakewood and yeshivish in 5 towns are very different. While some yeshivish looking people wear falls there are entire schools and shuls that follow rabanim that are against it.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting! What’s the difference between lined lace top vs lined lace front?

The difference is more about the look - lace tops tend to be more natural where a frum lady might have to look hard to tell if it's a wig or not. The lace front have a natural looking front but will still look more like a wig since the rest of the part is not as natural. But as they make the lace fronts better they are looking more natural. I think it's less about blanket statements and more about the look.

My Rav said the guideline is that a frum women should be able to clearly see that it is a wig. Sometimes I have a hard time telling if a lace top is a wig or hair and I am pretty good at it. I don't know all the halachos but there is definitely an inyan that a married woman should look married.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:42 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
The difference is more about the look - lace tops tend to be more natural where a frum lady might have to look hard to tell if it's a wig or not. The lace front have a natural looking front but will still look more like a wig since the rest of the part is not as natural. But as they make the lace fronts better they are looking more natural. I think it's less about blanket statements and more about the look.

My Rav said the guideline is that a frum women should be able to clearly see that it is a wig. Sometimes I have a hard time telling if a lace top is a wig or hair and I am pretty good at it. I don't know all the halachos but there is definitely an inyan that a married woman should look married.

That make se sense!
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels