Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Fund for Imamothers struggling
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 10:46 pm
I know this sounds ridiculous but I specifically prefer a 501c3 so that funds can go straight from my separate donor account that holds my maaser money. Argh I wish I was not so rigid!! Unless you wise Imas have a solution.

To the poster who's husband has a vetted 501 can you advise on the name so that I can perhaps research and give?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 11:03 pm
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
This is so beautiful! I would love to help out as well.
Be careful when sending cash in the mail.. I’ve had money get lost.

You are never supposed to send cash in the mail

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 23 2022, 11:12 pm
I have lots of time available if there is anything I can do to help it would be my pleasure.

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 12:49 am
This would be amazing. I've had to cut back on my therapy because otherwise we can't afford DC's therapy. And we need couples counseling but there's no money for that either (especially since it needs a babysitter).

We have to pay out of pocket for evaluations for school, and some other therapies for the kids, and we're just not managing to pay for the therapies and our bills both. We've been eating savings until now but we're about to be out of savings too. (We had 60k in savings in January 2021. We have 8k now and it's about to be down to 6 after we pay all our back bills.)

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 2:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know this sounds ridiculous but I specifically prefer a 501c3 so that funds can go straight from my separate donor account that holds my maaser money. Argh I wish I was not so rigid!! Unless you wise Imas have a solution.

To the poster who's husband has a vetted 501 can you advise on the name so that I can perhaps research and give?

This is a very good 501c3 that is totally vetted. the often run individual campaigns at the chesed fund.
http://yoht.org/community-chessed-programs/

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 4:11 am
amother [ Catmint ] wrote:
Struggling members can also make Amazon wishlists and post them for others to help out with

They aren't really anonymous.. I looked into it before. There's some information

Mermaidinexile

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 7:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's called ASK Gemach but it's doesn't not hold on to any money. It collects only when there is a project. So for example, a husband needs a new laptop for his business or an expensive car repair if he is a driver or a food bill paid to the grocery store something like that- each project gets verified by a social worker or rabbi that knows the family and then the group collects. It's a vetted 501c3 and has done some amazing projects. If someone has a specific need, they can PM me and include a way to verify it and then I will post the project (anon of course) with the donate link and people can give. That's how his group works and bh its helped a lot of ppl. The projects need to be high impact and solvable. They don't work with open ended situations.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:21 am
This is perfect. I found it on donor fund and will send something next cycle around.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:35 am
I started a 501c3. It wasn’t super complicated (need a board as someone previously mentioned as well as some other paperwork) and an accountant helped me with it but the biggest issue was the fact that it took MONTHS to get approval from the IRS and then there’s the yearly upkeep (filing taxes etc).
Unless the fund will get and then disburse significant amounts, it’s probably not worth the time and aggravation of setting it up.
Tizku l’mitzvos to the many people who want to contribute!!!

First Lady

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:41 am
I am volunteering to help run this fund, if needed.

Mermaidinexile

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is perfect. I found it on donor fund and will send something next cycle around.

It is really special. And if an Ima on here has a specific need that can be verified with a social worker or rabbi, please feel free to pm me and I will pass it along to the gemach.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:06 am
Mi keamcha Yisroel, this is so heartwarming.
When it's up and running, Please make a big announcement - or a few of them for those of us that aren't on here that often.
I would be so happy to contribute money!

amother
Grape

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:13 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
My son is in darchei in Far Rockaway and Rabbi bender always is requesting $ for a fund he manages for people in the community who need money for basic things. You can always donate there.

I like the fact that op wants to give it to members here on imamother-as a community. Peoplen come on this site desperate looking how to pay for food and whenever possible they get refered to tomchai shabbos and these other organizations but there are alot of people here that are not eligble for funds from organizations. their family size is too small, they dont belong to a set community no tomchai shabbos in their area or not enough to cover their family and are really struggling. I think it should be for members that are here for a while. and post every so often, starting with existing members as of now. I'm afraid this will become a world project if not and I dont think yael or op can afford that. There has to be some guidelines. unfortunately there are alot of struggling peoplen in this economy. very nice of op to think of the many people on here

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:19 am
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
I like the fact that op wants to give it to members here on imamother-as a community. Peoplen come on this site desperate looking how to pay for food and whenever possible they get refered to tomchai shabbos and these other organizations but there are alot of people here that are not eligble for funds from organizations. their family size is too small, they dont belong to a set community no tomchai shabbos in their area or not enough to cover their family and are really struggling. I think it should be for members that are here for a while. and post every so often, starting with existing members as of now. I'm afraid this will become a world project if not and I dont think yael or op can afford that. There has to be some guidelines. unfortunately there are alot of struggling peoplen in this economy. very nice of op to think of the many people on here

I agree with this. that was my initial intention however I don’t want to give yael work.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 8:24 pm
I wanted to mention that there were a few imamothers who offered help before Pesach. I PMed 2 people who both sent me some money. I was SO appreciative both for the actual money as well as the caring they displayed. I would be so happy if someone figured out a way to do this on a more ongoing basis.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:15 pm
You can contact RSK (Reb Shayala's Kitchen) at rsk.org or 845-414-8001. It's a very special organization that provides grocery assistance, financial coaching, and has a meals program. I've been contacted them personally and they are incredibly caring, understanding, discreet and generous. They're all about dignity and getting you back on your feet as soon as possible.

Mermaidinexile

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 9:37 pm
Mermaidinexile wrote:
It's called ASK Gemach but it's doesn't not hold on to any money. It collects only when there is a project. So for example, a husband needs a new laptop for his business or an expensive car repair if he is a driver or a food bill paid to the grocery store something like that- each project gets verified by a social worker or rabbi that knows the family and then the group collects. It's a vetted 501c3 and has done some amazing projects. If someone has a specific need, they can PM me and include a way to verify it and then I will post the project (anon of course) with the donate link and people can give. That's how his group works and bh its helped a lot of ppl. The projects need to be high impact and solvable. They don't work with open ended situations.

Reposting. Feel free to PM me if the criteria for ASK Gemach might fit your needs. I will pass along info. When a project is vetted they are usually able to collect the funds within a day often much more quickly.

Mermaidinexile

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 11:55 am
ASK Gemach is currently running a project if anyone wants to participate. **And again, if any Imas here need something specifically and urgently please PM me and I will forward to ASK Gemach to consider:

Meanwhile, for those that asked to participate in the next project:

Hi guys,

We would like to present you with a new project.

C, 49, lives in Borough Park, Brooklyn. He has multiple kids, including a child with disabilities. He has been struggling to make a living for a number of years and the family has fallen into a very difficult financial situation.

The first step for C to get back on his feet to support his family is to reinstate his drivers license, which is currently suspended due to multiple unpaid parking tickets. C worked for many years as a driver for a car service and seeks to get back into this line of work.

One of the members of this chat group lives in Borough Park, not far from C, and corroborates that assisting this family is an appropriate and urgent project for ASK Gemach.

As it turns out, another member of this chat group is an attorney who deals with parking tickets and other driving violations. He has graciously agreed to take on this case pro bono and deal with all the logistics involved.

We are seeking to raise $2,500 that will be used on the following:

$1,215 for fines for 8 closed tickets
$300 for drivers assessment fees
$750 for a civil penalty for driving with no insurance
$235 legal feel for a current ticket plus fees

Please note that no money will be given to "C" directly. The attorney will receive the funds and deal with this directly.

Given the relatively small amount, this is something we should be able to take care of easily and get C on his way toward gainful employment as a driver.

Please use the usual Tag613.org/donate and put C-Project in the subject line

$1,260 to go

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 12:16 pm
TYSM I am the op that started this thread. I tried to do research on the ask gemach as it sounds perfect. When I google it does not show that they filed the 501c3 tax docs since around 2016 - does this make sense. Of course I have no clue what all this means but I think some 990 form is public record but don't see anything up to date. Can someone tell me if I am totally off base or if mermaid has more info?

Mermaidinexile

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 1:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
TYSM I am the op that started this thread. I tried to do research on the ask gemach as it sounds perfect. When I google it does not show that they filed the 501c3 tax docs since around 2016 - does this make sense. Of course I have no clue what all this means but I think some 990 form is public record but don't see anything up to date. Can someone tell me if I am totally off base or if mermaid has more info?

Hi OP I just asked my husband about this- he is the one responsible for researching the projects for ASK. The tsadaka goes directly to recipient through Tag613 for tax deduction purposes and the donor receives a tax deductible receipt from tag613.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics