Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Have you gotten funds for your child with autism?
Previous  1  2

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 10:42 pm
Rent would only be applicable for an adult with self direction opwdd services.

You can not get therapies approved with any opwdd program.
What therapies are you paying out of Pocket for? You can get aba hours with some Private insurance plans.

Reimbursement for toys/equipment is OTPS and that is only for children receiving comhab services. Though there is about $300 of reimbursement that should be available through your agency. Sometimes you can tap into more of that reimbursement by submitting to different agencies.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jun 02 2022, 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 4:49 am
We got $400 reimbursement for toys and equipment yearly through opwdd (not self direction). It seems like what OP needs is a lot more than that...

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 4:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have OPWDD. I have no benefits from it. It's impossible to find qualified respite/comm hab workers that could handle my child who are willing to get paid so minimally. What else can OPWDD offer me? I need actual cash more than anything else...

Why don't you try to pay the difference instead of fully paying out of pocket? Like, if respite pays $15/hour and you find someone that wants $20, pay them $5 out of pocket for each hour worked. Still an expense, but a lot less...

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:29 am
Self direction should take up to nine months to get Your care cooridnator needs to step up her game and push for you. Speak to the supervisor of care coordination.
Also your private insurance should pay for services for autism. Talk to them. I know people that get six or seven hours per day thru medical insurance companies for ABA services.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:41 am
My child is getting privately paid behavioral therapy (social work). It's difficult to find the right person to provide respite services, even, for say, $20 or so. I don't think ABA would be appropriate at this time. What would really help is reimbursement for the therapy, toys, etc., and/or funds to hire appropriate staff. Nobody mentioned anything about reimbursement for toys. I will ask. Thanks so much!

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:50 am
amother [ RosePink ] wrote:
Self direction should take up to nine months to get Your care cooridnator needs to step up her game and push for you. Speak to the supervisor of care coordination.
Also your private insurance should pay for services for autism. Talk to them. I know people that get six or seven hours per day thru medical insurance companies for ABA services.

Self direction takes a lot longer since covid. Waiting for approval for my son since August. We keep being on top of it, I even spoke to OPWDD directly as did the care manager and broker. Nothing to expedite it at this point:(

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My child is getting privately paid behavioral therapy (social work). It's difficult to find the right person to provide respite services, even, for say, $20 or so. I don't think ABA would be appropriate at this time. What would really help is reimbursement for the therapy, toys, etc., and/or funds to hire appropriate staff. Nobody mentioned anything about reimbursement for toys. I will ask. Thanks so much!

Social workers can be covered by insurance. My child sees someone really qualified through insurance. There are some good therapists in clinics if you're in Brooklyn. Depending on location, you may be able to get it covered through an IEP, too.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 11:53 am
Op, your care coordinator should be able to help you with this. If not, it might be time to switch agencies.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics