Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Sales

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 4:58 am
Can I vent for a second?
I live OOT, but it’s a pretty big city.
I have yet to see a so called ‘sale’ in a grocery store. We have nice sized Jewish ones, and the most I’ve seen is when a smaller grocery puts out an ad for a ‘sale’ where like five products are a few dollars off to get you to come to their store. I’ve also never even seen such a concept in Walmart target etc.
So all the threads that mention shopping sales to stock up and save a lot of money make me wish I had that option!! Obviously Hashem doesn’t think I need that right now…but just a vent:)

srbmom

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 5:03 am
I live in a large OOT city and the chain grocery stores have weekly ads where they publish their sales. Usually you can find them online. (Walmart does not have sales)
Do you have any stores like Safeway, Kroger, Tom Thumb...
I usually only shop at Walmart because it's easier for me to do one store, but even their prices are getting crazy high. This week I went into one other store specifically because they had a good sale on a few cereals, so I stocked up on those

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 5:10 am
Both target and Walmart have sales. Walmart call an rollback. Target has weekly sales circular. All major super markets have weekly sales circular as well

realtalk

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 5:14 am
I only buy products I specifically need heimishe heckshers for (meat, dairy, prechecked lettuce) at Jewish groceries and everything else at Walmart or Costco

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 7:24 am
I’m talking about sales to at really make a difference to your budget. The circulars I’ve seen are for random produce, sports drinks, etc.
Not the kosher things that are expensive like meat/chicken/dairy (chalav yisrael here). When posters talk about making dinners around what on sale they don’t mean cereal…
Yes I do try to to only shop what’s necessary from Jewish stores but that doesn’t change what I’m saying

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 7:34 am
There aren't times when different kinds of meat/chicken are cheaper?
When I see certain items are lower priced, I stock my freezer with them.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 7:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m talking about sales to at really make a difference to your budget. The circulars I’ve seen are for random produce, sports drinks, etc.
Not the kosher things that are expensive like meat/chicken/dairy (chalav yisrael here). When posters talk about making dinners around what on sale they don’t mean cereal…
Yes I do try to to only shop what’s necessary from Jewish stores but that doesn’t change what I’m saying

You arent going to find every week a major major sale that it alone will make a big deal in your budget. But if you consistently shop sales for cereals, produce, pasta etc it will make a difference.
A box of cheerios can be $5 or more not on sale. But during the weeks it is on sale for $2-3 a box I buy enough to tide me over until the next sale especially as we arent brand specific. This week could be cheerios, in 2 weeks chex. That is $2-3 a box saved times 5 boxes. I wouldn't laugh at $10-15 extra in my food budget consistently from 1 change. More if your kids eat cereal more, you have more eaters...
Dont be brand dependent and you save more.

My chain grocery stores also have an app to clip extra coupons on. Clip everything you might use...
Walmart might not have coupons but some things are consistently cheaper there. Wish I had one convenient to me.

You do NOT need meat or chicken every night for dinner. It isnt "chicken or cereal". You can make something vegetarian. You can do soup, garlic bread and salad. Or bean stew.

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 7:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don’t keep CY (but we also don’t eat dairy for dinner so that’s not a big part of our diet)

The stores (Jewish ones too) near me all have weekly specials for meat/chicken. If mushrooms are on sale it’s gonna be chicken Marsala. If zucchini is on sale it’ll be zucchini kugel for shabbos. To me it all adds Up. Absolutely.

Also we drink sports drinks before the fast so that’s definitely something we buy a few cases of when there on sale.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:05 am
My family isn’t good with beans, so I need some other form of protein for dinner.
Some of your stores have specials- I have never seen a single special from the big Jewish supermarket I shop at (the smaller ones are more expensive).
Lucky you:)
I get WIC so cereal is BH free. But pasta rice etc I get at Walmart for cheap. I don’t have many of the other stores mentioned above.

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:39 am
I feel you OP. I live OOT too and there is no such thing as weekly specials when it comes to meat/chicken/fish. The choices are : buy it or don't.

srbmom

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:44 am
Ok, so I misunderstood what you were asking.
The kosher stores by me also never have sales
But that isn't the bulk of my food budget
Let's say I spend $75 a week on kosher food
And $200 on everything else
And then save $25 a week by shopping sales, that's $1000 a year savings
Mayo, ketchup, produce, cereal, french fries, snacks, frozen and canned vegetables, even household items like detergent, paper goods, shampoo... all those you can find on really good sales if you're willing to stock up on the specials each week

I wouldn't make myself crazy running around town, but if I pick one store each week to go into extra, I look on what I can stock up on there
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics