Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How much is normal to spend on backpack for high school?
Previous  1  2

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 9:51 am
I agree- the deal has to be that she will use it for a few more years (that way she understands the value of the purchase).
Shoes/sneakers (depends on where you live and what the girls wear) will vary but may be somewhat of a "fitting in" thing for a ninth grader......
After having spoken to a number of mental health professionals who deal with high school anxiety in general- this notion of fitting in is so so important. Rare indeed is the ninth grader who shrugs aside conformity ( a part of me applauds that yet this girl may suffer socially .....).

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 10:10 am
I’d love to buy a backpack today.

Trendy mamas please chime in:)

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 12:23 pm
I teach in an in-town high school. Things to consider:

1) For a new ninth grader trying to get over insecurity and fit in, having a cool backpack might really help. Definitely make sure that whatever you do about the backpack, your daughter is fully on board and happy.
2) You might be able to find one of the cool name-brand backpack brands on significant discount on an overstocks website, or new with tags on a second-hand website. If your daughter is okay with these strategies, something to consider.
3) Some really cool students have funky and interesting and totally unique backpacks. Look around and see if you can find something downright beautiful that your daughter loves and that's not the same boring, small Marc Jacobs backpack as half of her class.
4) It looks to me like most students (in my school, at least) buy new backpacks a few times over the course of high school. I don't recommend spending more than you can afford this year and telling her that it needs to last for the next 3-4 years, and relying on her still thinking that the backpack is cool when she's a junior and it's old and worn out and everyone else has something new and shiny on day one.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 12:45 pm
My daughter's going to a reg. Lakewood high school next yr. Iyh.
What backpack can I get her other then Lululemon?

Daughters actually in camp now, so I will obviously wait for her to get home.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 12:53 pm
Just want to echo poster above in that my daughter hates being a clone like everybody else and we find cute backpacks that are different and fun, and as it happens, much cheaper.

So because of the above, I'm not in the know about what everyone has. But I do know my daughter has mentioned that a number of girls have fjallraven bags and they run about $80 which is somewhat less than the $100+ pricetag for lululemon. Also, girls really change a lot over the course of high school, and their accessories are important to them - especially if they're in a uniform every day. I wouldn't buy a really expensive bag and box your kid in for the next 3 years. A child of 14 is really not the same as a 17 year old. Leave room for change and growth of all kinds!

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 1:25 pm
I have a daughter going into high school and I never heard of having to get a designer backpack. We live in Baltimore though, maybe it's not a thing here. We usually get Jansport or Lands End since we like the size and they have some nice designs and we get a new backpack each division. So one (a small one) for preschool, new one for elementary, new one for middle school and new one for high school. Cost about $25-35. (Of course if due to normal wear and tear a kid needs a new backpack one year I would get one but generally I find the ones we get last well.) Another thing that is different here is that girls for the most part continue in their same school for high school so it's not an new social situation.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 1:45 pm
Outlets have designer bags for less.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 1:59 pm
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
Just want to echo poster above in that my daughter hates being a clone like everybody else and we find cute backpacks that are different and fun, and as it happens, much cheaper.

So because of the above, I'm not in the know about what everyone has. But I do know my daughter has mentioned that a number of girls have fjallraven bags and they run about $80 which is somewhat less than the $100+ pricetag for lululemon. Also, girls really change a lot over the course of high school, and their accessories are important to them - especially if they're in a uniform every day. I wouldn't buy a really expensive bag and box your kid in for the next 3 years. A child of 14 is really not the same as a 17 year old. Leave room for change and growth of all kinds!

Yes, my daughters have fjallraven and it’s in pristine condition. They use when we travel as well so will be getting another bag bc they use it so often. It’s 100 percent worth the money

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 2:03 pm
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
Yes, my daughters have fjallraven and it’s in pristine condition. They use when we travel as well so will be getting another bag bc they use it so often. It’s 100 percent worth the money

I agree, some brands are worth their money. I have a Kipling bag that is 20 years old and still looks new.

amother
Magnolia

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 2:12 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
I have a daughter going into high school and I never heard of having to get a designer backpack. We live in Baltimore though, maybe it's not a thing here. We usually get Jansport or Lands End since we like the size and they have some nice designs and we get a new backpack each division. So one (a small one) for preschool, new one for elementary, new one for middle school and new one for high school. Cost about $25-35. (Of course if due to normal wear and tear a kid needs a new backpack one year I would get one but generally I find the ones we get last well.) Another thing that is different here is that girls for the most part continue in their same school for high school so it's not an new social situation.

That’s nice but yea that’s likely bec u live in Baltimore.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 3:27 pm

Bh I can afford to spend 100 on a backpack so no she doesn't need to use it for 4 years.
Make a cheshbon that an average season shobbas outfit is 150 that my daughter wears every 3rd shobbas from shavous to succos..

snailmail

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 4:12 pm
The Kipling bag would never fit all the books & ring binders that my HS daughter carries back & forth every day! I tried the cheap backpacks for the younger grades and the straps fall apart. I have tried the more expensive backpacks - and the straps eventually also fall apart. Are there any backpacks that would hold all required book, files, folders, ringbinders, snacks, waterbottle/s, stationary box, & knicknacks, that is ALSO trendy, but not cost the earth?! TMI

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 4:39 pm
Bh I can afford to spend 100 on a backpack so no she doesn't need to use it for 4 years.
Make a cheshbon that an average season shobbas outfit is 150 that my daughter wears every 3rd shobbas from shavous to succos..//

I actually was responding to the poster above you who gave some good info from her high school teaching experience. I was making more general statements, and I did not mean to make any insinuations about your ability to afford anything. It sounds like you were offended - my apologies if that is the case. All the best!

singsong

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 7:52 pm
This is going to be location specific - I live OOT and my daughter is using her $30 Lands End backpack for 9th grade. She used it through middle school and it's in perfect condition. Same for my son - he made it through HS with the same Lands End backpack. Backpacks aren't a huge deal here - it's more function over fashion.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 8:49 pm

My girls are like yours. They were very picky about their bags, but did not insist on brand names. We check online throughout the summer and also Tjmaxx and Marshall’s has good finds. I got Kiplings for 40 there (for elementary age). It might be their school in which they feel pressure for nice things but not for specific brands.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 8:53 pm
For those who said the Kiplings last, for us it lasted, but any that weren’t dark colored got dirty/dingy and didn’t wash off. Not sure how others keep it in nice condition.

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Jul 11 2022, 9:12 pm
What's in for lower elementary in a very main stream lakewood school? Willing to spend
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children