Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Potty suggestions
Previous  1  2

GAMZu

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 7:33 pm
OK, but we were originally talking about Yedidya's Mom and not Mama Bear.
Tamiri said that she shouldn't even introduce the concept to him,
and when he's "ready" he'll get it on his own.
I disagree.
Had I not introduced the concept of a potty to my son at 1 1/2,
he would never have known what to do when at 2y 3m I told him no more diapers.
He might still be in diapers now, at almost age 4,
if I would've waited for him to figure it out and initiate it.

tovasmom

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 7:43 pm
Yedidya's mom, I agree that your ds is probably not ready yet. With my dd (who is slightly older than yours) I exclusively use the toilet seat on to p of the big toilet and reinforce with chocolate chips when she is successful. And for months I have felt my dd was on the brink of being completely trained, but at this point she will either go on the toilet or in her diaper, I don't get consistently. And I'm sure the preschool that you advised you might be sending your ds to (assuming its the one in brooklyn we discussed) they will change diapers, as well as the regular schools which I believe we also discussed. With my older kids, at a certain age -- 2 1/2 plus, my mother would ask each child what "big kid" toy they wanted when they went to the toilet all of the time. they each told her, she bought it, and each of them was trained within 1 week -- one even in one day he wanted the toy so much. But this dd who I am traning now -- who is like your ds -- there is nothing she wants that much -- or nothing that she will identify to grandma, at least. The teachers in school talk about putting her on a tight toilet schedule which involves recording when the dc goes and taking them to the toilet at regular intervals (every 1/2 hour, every 15 minutes) to get the child used to the idea that they have to go all the time in the toilet. Try googling toiliet training children with special needs and you will likely find the exact method. Hatzlacha!

yedidya's mom

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 7:44 pm
it's not really different for my son, its just going to be slower. he needs a lot of repetition. so we're just going to talk abt it over and over and over again. and of course show him the potty and have him sit on it. and eventually we'll get it. I just have to stop being lazy and get moving...

tovasmom

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 7:47 pm
Also, bear in mind that there is a cognitive aspect as well as a physical aspect to potty training so have lots of patience, but I agree he will IY"H get it one day!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training