Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Easy meals with nothing?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:48 am
This is a great thread for people to refer back to if they're traveling to a place without specifically kosher food and they bring some kitchen appliances.

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 11:21 am
As far as milk
Please ask you Rav if powdered milk meds to be CY
Some hold it doesn’t
Regardless when you are in-town get some for emergency

egam

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 11:31 am
keym wrote:
Parve chili:
5-6 assorted cans of beans. I use a variety of black beans, navy beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, chick peas
1 can corn
2 onions chopped
Garlic
1 celery chopped
2 cans crushed tomatoes
2 cans petite tomatoes
Spice with salt, pepper and 2-4 t cumin and chili powder (my family is not into spicy so I do only 2 t of each)

Let simmer for a long time until chunky. Or use the crock pot.

Serve over rice, with hard corn tacos or both.

It's a big recipe that makes a lot that you really just fiddle around with.

A few weeks ago I asked for recipes with canned chickpeas. I tried a few and played around with a few and hit a winner.
Sauteed 2 cans of chickpea with onions, garlic, celery. Spice with salt, pepper, some cumin, red pepper, garlic powder.
When chickpeas are golden reddish, mix with 1 cup of cooked rice. Add cut tomatoes and peppers if you want.
Bake a bit more for a casserole type dish.
The chickpea mixture itself should be quite spicy because the flavors even out with the rice.

Both of these recipes I call my Walmart Recipes. Fully from Walmart, balanced meal.

Buying dry beans will be much cheaper then using cans. Also using commercial size cans of tomatoes. You can freeze the unused part to use later for a different dish.

In general, buying in bulk will be better coastwise, if you have a room to store it properly and it won't get thrown out.

When you get to stock up on tuna, it might make sense to you to get big 11 oz size cans. They come up much cheaper per oz.

As mentioned, you can use flour to make lots from scratch. I know it's a lot of work, but dire times call for it. I don't know Walmart prices, but Aldi has it pretty cheap. They also have soft corn tortillas with hecksher.

One more suggestion is to go to a local community bank. While you probably won't find kosher proteins there, they would have dry and canned goods and some fresh veggies.

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 11:34 am
Soak buckwheat overnight, in the morning heat it up in the microwave and add butter. Good filling breakfast.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 12:11 pm
sequoia wrote:
Soak buckwheat overnight, in the morning heat it up in the microwave and add butter. Good filling breakfast.

That’s so Russian 😂!!
I would add brown sugar to sweeten or salt and pepper for savory

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 12:21 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
That’s so Russian 😂!!
I would add brown sugar to sweeten or salt and pepper for savory

hmmm I think you meant to say that is so Ukranian.

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 1:56 pm
I avoid sodium.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 2:05 pm
amother Beige wrote:
I don’t think anyone has mentioned it yet,
Fried rice is super easy.
I usually make it with leftover chicken or deli meats, but it’s still good parev.
Using frozen vegetables, the whole thing can be ready in 20 minutes.

Start by setting the rice to cook. (I do at least 2 cups, but depends how many serves you need)
Chop up an onion or two, sauté in a large frying pan
Add whatever vegetables or frozen vegetables you like. (Carrot, zucchini, peas, broccoli…)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder
(Not too much salt because adding soy sauce later)
Once cooked through, push the vegetables to the edges of the pan.
Beat a few eggs and add them to the empty centre of the pan.
Once the eggs start to cook, mix the vegetables back in.
By now the rice should be done.
Add the rice in and mix
Season with soy sauce to taste
Can add some chopped spring onion if you want

(I don’t know if this is the ‘proper’ way to make fried rice, but it works for us! If I’m making it fleishig, I add the meat/chicken before the eggs)

For easier pancakes you can make them in the oven.
Oil a cookie sheet, pour the batter in a thin-ish layer over the whole thing. You can add whatever toppings you like - I often sprinkle a variety - a line of choc chips, a line of frozen berries, dried fruit etc
Spray the top with a bit of oil and bake in the oven.
Cut into squares with a pizza cutter.
You can do a few pans at once and then you’ve got plenty of pancakes ready at the same time without standing frying for hours.
We do this every once in a while for ‘breakfast for dinner’
With smoothies, scrambled eggs etc

If you need to make a lot of shakshuka, what I find easier is to make the sauce then pour it into a baking tray. Add the eggs and cook them in the oven.
Shakshuka with yummy bread can be quite filling.

Thanks, great shortcuts!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 2:11 pm
amother Snow wrote:
The cost of eggs is actually going down now. I read an article yesterday about how they finally were able to replenish the hen population that was reduced because of the bird flu. I then went to Aldi and the cost was down to $1.98 a dozen! So if you can make a meal out of two dozen eggs, that's still pretty good for $4. Together with some hash browns made out of a few fresh potatoes cut small, would that fill up the kids? I buy most of my produce at Walmart or Aldi at reasonable prices.

That's good news! Hope egg prices go down here soon.

I will sometimes fry up an onion and some small potato chunks and pour in the scrambled eggs. Together with a box or two of pasta it makes a filling meal Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 2:14 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Are u getting the food boxes there in the summer? I’ve been getting so much stuff in boxes I’ve been using for suppers pita, tuna, can corn, frozen pizza, blintzes, Etc

Oh, how I wish!!! You in-towners have no idea how lucky you are!

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 2:15 pm
Op, if you have a way of getting food from lakewood, I get food boxes from the summer school/food program. Lots of good stuff that we don’t use I can send your way- just tell me how.

egam

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 2:50 pm
sequoia wrote:

Does it come like размазня or groats are separate?

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 3:16 pm
egam wrote:
Does it come like размазня or groats are separate?

Nope, not размазня.
Perfect texture.

Frumme

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:58 pm
OP are you able to guide us whereabouts you live? Doesn't have to be specific

If you're in the US you can order pas yisroel bread and wraps from Angelic Bakehouse. They will deliver straight to your door. Forewarning, it's sprouted bread and wraps, which can be really yummy but may take adjusting to at first.

If you have a local walmart, they often sell rhodes rolls (frozen dough) or frozen pizza dough that isn't too expensive. the pizza dough can be turned into loaves of bread. Trader Joe's also has fresh pizza dough that is kosher depending on your location (different production factories), so you can pick up that plus their vegan beef crumbles are a really good sub for ground beef for tacos and meat sauce (and it's inexpensive)

you can make vegan lasagna too by crumbling up tofu and mixing with lemon juice and nutritional yeast to sub for ricotta. then you can splurge and buy vegan cheese shreds to top it before baking; vegan cheese goes "further" than reg cheese so a little will go a long way.

if you need tuna, Wild Planet sells a bishul yisroel can and you can buy it in bulk at costco. it's not heimishe (just an OU) but it IS bishul so you can ask your rav if that's appropriate for your situation

Also make sure you're couponing. I know it sounds silly but you can save a few bucks here and there by ordering through apps, writing to your favorite companies, looking through the sunday ads, etc. You don't have to go to the extreme but a little will go a long way. Shaw's aka Albertsons for example has $5 off of a purchase of $50 or more that you can "clip" to your account online, then when you go shopping just be sure to use your rewards number.

motherwife

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:14 pm
If you're making onion rolls, save time and have better results by NOT frying the onions first. Just dice the onions nice and small. I roll out my dough like ruggelach, spread some diced onion and roll, egg and bake. My mother just stuffs the onion into a piece of dough and mushes it till it's a decent shape to look like a roll 😃.
Much yummier without the frying. Sounds impossible, I know, but it's true.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics