Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Clothes organization/kids outfits comcept
Previous  1  2

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 12:28 am
zaq wrote:
None of this was given to Moses on Mount Sinai. Even a professional organizer's advice is just that: advice, not an imperative. They all have their own prejudices and preferences that may or may not correspond to those of any particular client. If a mix-and-match system works for you, that's great. Mix-and-match allows you to create the illusion of a larger wardrobe with fewer pieces, but pre-set outfits work better for those who don't have the head space for mix-and-match.

Yes I hate mix and match. I want enough outfits to last the laundry cycle and that’s it. I don’t always store the outfits together bec I have more hanging space and like to hang the tees and I fold the pants for the toddler; but I do shop mainly as outfits. Her philosophy is in line with mine. So I guess use what works for you.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 12:56 am
amother Olive wrote:
That's so interesting, I don't understand how that works practically though. My 4 year old has black pants, they go with almost all his tshirts besides the ones that are navy, how does dividing into outfits even work? My daughter has shirts that work with denim, black or navy, why limit that? And my toddler wears black biker shorts basically every day with all kinds of cute tops. I have very few proper outfits, like pieces that should specifically stay together.

But don't the pants need to be washed before they get paired with the next t-shirt? How does it work practically to have him wear it with multiple t-shirts in one week? Only I can wear a skirt 2 days in a row with different tops. Doesn't work with the little ones. I'd rather buy 2 pairs black pants.

creditcards

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 12:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi, I had a home organizer come to me recently and she said 2 novel concepts:
She said kids clothes should be put away as outfits - shirt and pants together, or dress and shorts together (toddler.)
She also said that each kid needs a max amount of outfits, pick a number 10 or how often you do laundry, etc., and donate the rest. Each kid doesn't need the tremendous amount of clothes they have spilling out of the drawers.
Background: I buy in boro park and online, and I've bought packs of shirts and pants from H&M, Amazon, target, etc. sometimes outfits and sometimes things that complement but I've always put away in drawers like shirts folded, another place pants, skirts, dresses together, etc. I never placed them as outfits. We take out a shirt and look for pants to wear with it.
Also we have tons of clothes because hand me downs, gifts, and then I buy when the new season comes, or my elementary girls are picky and need something different than what they already have, etc. It occurred to me stopping in target yesterday when I saw cute toddler pajamas for $17.99, the old me would've gotten a new pair. Then I said hang on, she has 3 pairs of pajamas in her drawer plus another few odds and ends shirts and pants that could work as pajamas if needed. Why would I buy more? But I never used to have that internal dialogue. It didn't occur to me to limit the outfits my kids have.
Please be kind I'm not a hoarder or anything weird. I think I honestly just grew up in material american society where sales are the thing and buying gives us a good feeling, etc.

I also like putting it away as outfits because my kids are little and don't know themselves what top and pants match. So when I put it in his drawer I put a matching top and pants together so he knows what it goes with when he takes it out of the drawer before I get up. I also mix and match so I put it away every time with whatever match is available/washed then.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 1:04 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
But don't the pants need to be washed before they get paired with the next t-shirt? How does it work practically to have him wear it with multiple t-shirts in one week? Only I can wear a skirt 2 days in a row with different tops. Doesn't work with the little ones. I'd rather buy 2 pairs black pants.
Olive didn't say her kid has only one pair each of black and navy pants and wears them all week; she said he only wears those colors. He may have three pairs of each color for all you know. Don't you know women who own 27 skirts, of which 20 are black, 5 grey and 2 black and white?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics