Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Restaurant in Manhattan with non-OU Hechsher
Previous  1  2

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 9:39 am
amother Nemesia wrote:
Maybe you don’t realize how offensive it is to say that OU is not a good hechsher.

I don't find it offensive, I laugh. It's ignorance

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 9:52 am
amother Nemesia wrote:
Maybe you don’t realize how offensive it is to say that OU is not a good hechsher.

OP never said it’s not a good hechsher.
She said her husband won’t eat it.

People getting offended here for no reason.

Different people eat different things, and that’s okay.

OP came for information, not to create drama.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 9:55 am
amother Nemesia wrote:

For her husband, it's not a good hechsher. Not everyone has the same kashrus standards, and for some, certain hechsheirim aren't good. It's not a reason to get so personally offended. For you it's good, for others it's not.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 9:56 am
amother Nemesia wrote:

This. Food is either kosher or it's not kosher. The hechsher is not what makes it kosher. The hechsher is just someone certifying that they watched how that food is made, and they are verifying that it's kosher. If you say you need a "good" hechsher like this one, and not like that one, you're implying that the second hechsher isn't reliable. (That's different than saying you want a certain hechsher because you're makpid about a certain thing that that hechsher monitors for.)

It was probably an honest mistake when OP wrote it so this isn't directed at her, but it's reflective of how some people genuinely view taking on more things as "more" kosher and spread a message that other people not doing that aren't really eating kosher.

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 10:08 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:

Reading comprehension. She said a good hechsher, not OU.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 10:23 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:

Actually she DID say it. She said she wanted a GOOD hecksher, not like OU. Which is quite offensive.

But I am still going to respond to her question. This is a list, probably not complete, of Manhattan restaurants, and their heckshers.

https://www.ckj.org/kosherinnyc

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 10:28 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
Actually she DID say it. She said she wanted a GOOD hecksher, not like OU. Which is quite offensive.

But I am still going to respond to her question. This is a list, probably not complete, of Manhattan restaurants, and their heckshers.

Just be aware that not everything under an individual person is reliable. We eat OU but don't eat at some of those restaurants. Def check with your LOR about who is reliable

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 10:28 am
amother Nemesia wrote:

For her husband, OU is not considered a good hechsher. I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding this.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 10:33 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
Oy, stop nitpicking on wording and don't take everything so personally. I promise you OP didn't mean to be hurtful.

It isnt nitpicking when she says words like "good". And comparing hechsherim as to say one is better than another and one isnt good...

She should have said "my husband wants a hechsher like XYZ in Manhattan, anyone know anything?" without the comparison or demeaning one of the biggest and well respected national hechsherim. So much talk on in imamother about not bashing certain communities or cities but this should be included too. Say what you want/need without the LH.

Oh, and FYI most hechsherim in the USA are part of a national organization that has a set minimum standards because otherwise how can they use a vinegar, spice, oil etc that is under another hechsher?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 10:35 am
amother Kiwi wrote:
It isnt nitpicking when she says words like "good". And comparing hechsherim as to say one is better than another and one isnt good...

She should have said "my husband wants a hechsher like XYZ in Manhattan, anyone know anything?" without the comparison or demeaning one of the biggest and well respected national hechsherim. So much talk on in imamother about not bashing certain communities or cities but this should be included too. Say what you want/need without the LH.

Oh, and FYI most hechsherim in the USA are part of a national organization that has a set minimum standards because otherwise how can they use a vinegar, spice, oil etc that is under another hechsher?

Some people don't consider OU a good hechsher. It's not offensive or demeaning. Not everyone keeps the same standards of kashrus, and to them, OU is not considered a good hechsher. This shouldn't be so hard to comprehend.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 10:42 am
amother Nemesia wrote:

Reading comprehension, she obviously meant a good chassidishe hechsher.
(Cue- like tartikov)

No need to get offended.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 4:37 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:

Again sorry for offending,

Thanks for actually answering my question.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 4:41 pm
Again for everyone else sorry for offending.

Just fyi I reread my original post and I didn’t say any where its not a good Hechsher just that it’s one my husband personally doesn’t like to rely on for restaurants. Again like I said I think they’re fantastic, and I’m so happy they exist.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 4:42 pm
Whoa!!! Whats up with the offensiveness???? Not everyone considers ou to be a “good hecher” and that is ok. Be accepting to that. No need to apologize op. Please!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 4:44 pm
OP, did you end up with something?
In the same boat as u!

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 4:52 pm
OP, for Manhattan restaurants (or any restaurant), you can call and speak to the mashgiach regarding bishul yisroel, yoshon(not this time of the year anyway)or any other concerns. Me and dh always do this and usually the restaurants are helpful.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 5:15 pm
My husband just called a few places and we’re actually gonna do an OU place in Manhattan since they use meal mart meat. Thanks to those who actually answered my question.

And again I never said OU wasn’t good, proof is we’re going to an OU place.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 5:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband just called a few places and we’re actually gonna do an OU place in Manhattan since they use meal mart meat. Thanks to those who actually answered my question.

Most restaurants use meal mart meat or meat with chassidish shechita. But the sauces and spices used when cooking the meat, are OU.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Aug 23 2022, 6:35 pm
amother OP wrote:

Which ones use Meal Mart meat?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 9:48 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
Which ones use Meal Mart meat?

You can always call a restaurant you’re looking to go to. This one specifically was Tabernacle at this point in time they only use meal mart and have a Chasidish mashgiach. But this can always change.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries