Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Things you wish were kosher
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Iris

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 8:05 am
Goldie613 wrote:
Really? Parve or milchig?

What about cookies in a tube?

I think they’re pareve but not sure. There is cookie dough in a tube that’s kosher but I can’t remember what brand

amother
Lightcoral

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 8:06 am
Raisin wrote:
Right but I have never seen fillet mignon in any kosher butchers in Uk, Europe or the USA. Not just chariedi hashgachot, and there are plenty of sefardim outside of Israel.

I love fresh veggies, frozen is also great but just not the same. Also, I have never seen brussles sprouts with a hechsher. And artichokes.

Yes I would also love to try bacon! I have bought facon but its not great and I suspect not the same at all.

My ex used to work as a.mashgiach in a shechita in South America. Most meats were for export and since they didn't export fillet mignon, people who worked there would remove what needed to be removed and we had tons of it, absolutely delicious. Everyone there ate it. The schochets and mashgichim were sepharadim and Yemenite mostly, but the bodek pnimim for example was Ashkenazi. What I am trying to say is yes, people who know how to prepare it do eat it, but not many people are trained to.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 8:06 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
No. Eating chalav stam is a leniency allowed by R Moshe in certain circumstances. Many people do not hold by this leniency and thus consider chalav stam to be the same as chalav akum.

That said, I don’t spend a lot of time wishing I could eat non kosher food. But when I do- I am usually in the mall, airport, or Disney World and I’m starving. The kosher food at Disney is not really edible.

In the US, Rav Moshe says that milk is kosher due to the oversight on milk and pasteurization we do. He says a baal nefesh can be machmir and only drink chalav yisrael.

SG18

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 8:07 am
Not holding by a leniency is a chumra. That's literally what it means.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 8:19 am
SG18 wrote:
Not holding by a leniency is a chumra. That's literally what it means.

I disagree. If someone is told they can rely on shiurim for Yom Kippur everyone else isn't being machmir.

singleagain

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 8:24 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
I would love to try a cheese burger - tried with fake cheese and was meh- but I think fake cheese is meh in general

Try with real cheese and fake meat. My dad says the fake meat is a lot better than the fake cheese.

singleagain

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 8:25 am
Raisin wrote:
admittedly I do live in the middle of nowhere. Very Happy

If you're in the middle of nowhere, has anyone who orders kosher food from either of these brands, you can always ask them to get you a case next time

singleagain

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 8:28 am
The problem with everyone saying that chalav staam is not kosher is that it's completely not true and it automatically implies that people who do holds that way are not as good of Jews.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 8:36 am
Raisin wrote:
Right but I have never seen fillet mignon in any kosher butchers in Uk, Europe or the USA. Not just chariedi hashgachot, and there are plenty of sefardim outside of Israel.

I love fresh veggies, frozen is also great but just not the same. Also, I have never seen brussles sprouts with a hechsher. And artichokes.

Yes I would also love to try bacon! I have bought facon but its not great and I suspect not the same at all.

My butcher sells a cut called filet mignon, but I don’t know if it’s actually that or not. I never asked.
The only vegetables I have ever seen woth a hashgacha are the frozen ones or ones that are checked. Fresh, raw vegetables don’t need hashgacha. We eat Brussels sprouts, I just check them the way I was told.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 8:56 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
BT here. Never felt queasy after fast food. And never ever heard of non-Jews buying kosher meat because of the quality. What about kosher meat makes it better quality?

Given some of the absolutely disgusting "kosher" food that I have encountered in restaurants, which is full of grease and sugar as their main components, the statement is of course ridiculous.

The quality of meat depends on the quality of the animal it came from and not the particular manner in which is was slaughtered and then rendered bloodless. In fact there is very artisanal beef or Kobe beef that is far higher in quality than Argentinian cattle that is frozen and shipped for kosher consumption.

The meme that "kosher" is a higher quality stems from a satirical ad for Hebrew National franks in the NY subway system years ago - ironic since the brand isn't considered kosher by the Orthodox

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 8:58 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
BT here. Never felt queasy after fast food. And never ever heard of non-Jews buying kosher meat because of the quality. What about kosher meat makes it better quality?

The Asians in my neighborhood love kosher chicken. It's salty!

I'm a BT that always felt kosher meat would be most consistent in quality. Not all non kosher supermarkets have the same quality meats ...

SG18

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:07 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I disagree. If someone is told they can rely on shiurim for Yom Kippur everyone else isn't being machmir.

That isn't a leniency. That's an exception based on health.
It says in the Torah not to eat on Yom Kippur, it doesn't say not to eat chalav stam. Anything you take on that isn't a mitzvah is a chumra.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:11 am
heidi wrote:
So half of the Jewish world is indeed sefardi.
Also, fillet mignon is kosher for everyone as long as nikkur is done properly. Many mehadrin restaurants in Israel carry it. It is very delicious.
Frozen brocolli, brussels sprouts etc all come with a hechsher.
It's really weird the chumras people put on themselves when all the reputable kashrut agencies are saying it's fine.
I would love to try bacon.
Don't think that's becoming kosher anytime soon, no matter what kashrut certification you hold by

When Mashiach comes (soon) it all becomes kosher.

SG18

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:21 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
When Mashiach comes (soon) it all becomes kosher.

Is there a source for this? Since before the bet hamikdash, these things that are actually not kosher (me'deoraita) haven't been allowed. Why would this change?

simcha2

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:36 am
No. Eating chalav stam is a leniency allowed by R Moshe in certain circumstances. Many people do not hold by this leniency and thus consider chalav stam to be the same as chalav akum.

That said, I don’t spend a lot of time wishing I could eat non kosher food. But when I do- I am usually in the mall, airport, or Disney World and I’m starving. The kosher food at Disney is not really edible.

There seems to be some confusion around halachic terminology and concepts

Halacha - what the rule is

Chumra - a stringent approach to the rule

Kula - a lenient approach to the rule

Issur- something forbidden

Heter - something allowed

Rav Moshe's teshuva is a heter (allowance) , not a kula (leniency). So not relying on it is not a chumra.

He effectively ruled that chalav hakompanies (chalav stam) is equivalent to chalav Yisrael and is therefore mattir (allowed).

That being said, many people don't rely on this teshuva and don't equate chalav Stam with chalav Yisrael.

But it is not a kula to do so. It is a heter.

heidi

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:51 am

Wrong!!!
Rav Moshe held that all milk in America qualifies as chalav yisrael bcz. USDA standards were impecable and thus ידיעה כראיה, hence all milk in America is chalav yisrael and ok to eat.
It is not a leniency.
But I know it's way more fun to pile on the chumras and feel pious

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 9:54 am
theoneandonly wrote:
Chalav yisroel cheese curls that actually taste good and not just like salt!

Kosher food trucks. Any kind I just love the concept.

There are kosher food trucks. (If you're in NY, there's a food truck in downtown Brooklyn that has delicious burgers!)

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 10:03 am
I think some posters are missing the underlying issue which is how much keeping kosher restricts one's life.

Outside of Israel in which the default would be kosher restaurants and foods and small areas in New York City, traveling is an ordeal because there is no kosher food. You can't go out with colleagues at work or partake of normal office functions.

All of the really good restaurants aren't kosher nor are any of the interesting ethnic restaurants.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 10:05 am
heidi wrote:
Wrong!!!
Rav Moshe held that all milk in America qualifies as chalav yisrael bcz. USDA standards were impecable and thus ידיעה כראיה, hence all milk in America is chalav yisrael and ok to eat.
It is not a leniency.
But I know it's way more fun to pile on the chumras and feel pious

this is not exclusively an american board. Also, not everyone follows Rav Moshe.

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 10:06 am
Nothing. IME everything that was previously available only in tref form and then got a hechsher was something I could have lived without and often is supremely disappointing because of the hype. Well, no, pizza is pretty awesome, when it's done well, and I'm just old enough to recall when kosher pizza was invented.

Entenmann's was a big thing when it got a hechsher, too. Turns out most of it was already essentially kosher but had no hechsher, and the firm had to make very few changes to get the hechsher.

Sushi? Meh. Shellfish? Less than meh.

It would be a great convenience to be able to buy food anywhere rather than subsist on peanut butter sandwiches while traveling, but I really can't think of anything tref I'm plotzing to have. Even pareve "ice cream" has lost its bloom. I
Page 7 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen