Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Stuffed Acorn Squash

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 12:34 pm
This was very good version of the ubiquitous stuffed acorn squash and obviously not only for a Thanksgiving meal although acorn squash is a traditional autumn side dish.

I divided the butter and used margarine for the maple syrup mixture to get more of a buttery flavor and olive oil to saute the veggies

STUFFED ACORN SQUASH

Excerpt From: “The Chew: A Year of Celebrations.

What’s savory and sweet, chock-full of nutritious goodies, and a filling low-fat addition to the Thanksgiving menu? My stuffed acorn squash, of course. These gorgeous squash are bursting with color and can be served as a side for the whole crowd, or a main dish for the vegetarians in the house. Stuffed acorn squash is a feast for the eyes as well as the taste buds, which is, I think, how we should always approach preparing our food. This dish is a perfect example of bringing all five senses to bear when you’re cooking: it looks great, smells wonderful, has varied textures, tastes amazing, and the moment your guests take their first bites, you’ll hear them all say, “Mmmmm!”

4 ounces dried shiitake mushrooms
2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
6 acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
5 tablespoons butter, divided - I used plant butter and olive oil as noted above
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 large red onion, diced
Salt, to taste
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 celery root, peeled and diced
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon thyme leaves
1 cup whole-wheat bread croutons, same size as diced vegetables
2 tart apples, peeled, cored, and diced
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the mushrooms and vegetable stock in a saucepot over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Steep the mushrooms until the liquid has been reduced by half. Remove from heat. Strain out the mushrooms and chop roughly. Reserve the stock.

2. Cut off a small part of the back of each acorn squash half so it sits flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet, with the hollow interior facing up. Heat 3 tablespoons butter and maple syrup together in a small pot just until butter melts. Stir and brush over the flesh of the squash.

3. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Sauté the onions for 2 minutes, seasoning with salt. Add the carrots and celery root and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and add the thyme leaves.

4. Pour the vegetable mixture into a large bowl and toss with croutons, apples, walnuts, and cranberries. Add the mushrooms and stock, stirring to ensure liquid is absorbed by the croutons.

5. Divide the mixture among the hollows of the acorn squash halves, mounding but not overflowing. Cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, remove foil, and continue to cook for 15 minutes, or until the squash is fork-tender. Serve warm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes